• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What is Gilver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s8ntmark

I've heard of it in reference to Vergil but i don't know what it is. is it something that could figure into the new Vergil DLC?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Vergil is using Gilver as the secret name in the DMC books.It's so he can get close to Dante without being discovered. As Gilver he also hides his face with bandages.

Judgement

The skeptical, open-minded, conservative, pacifist
Where do the books fit into the timeline?

~~~SPOILER~~~~~~..not really..maybe..kinda..

The first book before DMC1 and DMC3 since that is when he gets Ebony and Ivory custom made. The second book I honestly forget it's been a while since I read it.

AlchemistFromEden

capcom doesn't consider the dmc1 novel canon for contradicting the game with things like nelo angelo talking, the manga is canon though

AlchemistFromEden

The novel in no way contradicts DMC1, and was directly referenced in the anime. It's canon still.
Controversy Edit

After the release of Devil May Cry 3, contradictions between the game and this novel forced much of the story of the novel out of canon. Of particular concern is Gilver's fate and actions. Because of the events of Devil May Cry 3, the community generally accepts that Vergil cannot be Gilver, and thus, the sequences of the novel involving him are non-canon.However, parts of the novels might still remain within the canon story. Dante's alias as "Tony Redgrave" is also mentioned in the Devil May Cry: The Animated Series and engraved on the on all appearances of Luce and Ombraand Ebony and Ivory. Also, the novel provides the only explanation as to where engraving ".45 Art Warks" comes from.

Judgement

The skeptical, open-minded, conservative, pacifist
Controversy Edit

After the release of Devil May Cry 3, contradictions between the game and this novel forced much of the story of the novel out of canon. Of particular concern is Gilver's fate and actions. Because of the events of Devil May Cry 3, the community generally accepts that Vergil cannot be Gilver, and thus, the sequences of the novel involving him are non-canon.

Sorry I usually agree with you even if you decide to go about such mini-rants but the communities ideals are not part of the series, only the creators and those who work along side the creators decide what is part of it and what is not. In all decency what the fans perceive does seem to become the outcome in those matters but if we are getting technical it is still part of the series without tarnishing the original sotry. SPOILER~ Dante does basically kill Gilver(Vergil) in a twisted reality similar to what you could say limbo is but even then there i still much for debate because he is never confirmed dead in the first book. The second book is still a bit of a mystery to me and I cannot comment on it quite yet without possibly being wrong on many aspects.

AlchemistFromEden

Sorry I usually agree with you even if you decide to go about such mini-rants but the communities ideals are not part of the series, only the creators and those who work along side the creators decide what is part of it and what is not. In all decency what the fans perceive does seem to become the outcome in those matters but if we are getting technical it is still part of the series without tarnishing the original sotry. SPOILER~ Dante does basically kill Gilver(Vergil) in a twisted reality similar to what you could say limbo is but even then there i still much for debate because he is never confirmed dead in the first book. The second book is still a bit of a mystery to me and I cannot comment on it quite yet without possibly being wrong on many aspects.
made an effort

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Regarding the second book, it's set just sometime before DMC2, as Dante is portrayed in the artwqork as being in his DMC 2 outfit, but he's written as behaving like DMC1 Dante. We also had Beryl, who seems to be a nice precursor to Lady and even had a nasty vicious sniper rifle.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
The first DMC novel was written a bit after DMC1 came out, with direct input from Kamiya. If anything, it's probably all supposed to fit together, but because DMC has changed hands and writers so many times, it's gotten all jiggered in some places.

s8ntmark

And, regarding the series as a whole, are the DMC3 Manga the "first chapter" of the whole DMC "Saga"?

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
And, regarding the series as a whole, are the DMC3 Manga the "first chapter" of the whole DMC "Saga"?
Really the novel would be since it's how Tony remembered he was Dante, got Ebony and Ivory, and kicked off the feud between him and Vergil. So the rough timeline order of media would be

DMC1 Novel
DMC3 Manga
DMC3
DMC1
DMC the Anime
DMC4/Deadly Fortune as an out of continuity AU version
DMC2 novel
DMC2

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
How are people saying the novel fits before DMC3?

Gilver killed Dante's mother figure, his partner, his partner's daughter, and basically everyone in the town that had the misfortune of knowing him, including bar patrons and rival gangs. Dante completely fails to mention any of that in the manga, and one would think he'd be less cavalier about teaming up with Vergil at any point later on no matter who they're up against. He still killed everyone Dante knew. He didn't even do it for any good reason or to prove that "might controls everything". He just wanted a fight and went straight for the kill. Vergil is amoral. Gilver is straight-up evil.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
How are people saying the novel fits before DMC3?

Gilver killed Dante's mother figure, his partner, his partner's daughter, and basically everyone in the town that had the misfortune of knowing him. Dante completely fails to mention any of that in the manga, and one would think he'd be less cavalier about teaming up with Vergil at any point later on no matter who they're up against. He still killed everyone Dante knew. He didn't even do it for any good reason or to prove that "might controls everything". He just wanted a fight and went straight for the kill. Vergil is amoral. Gilver is straight-up evil.

the Novel fits DMC*1* perfect. DMC3 was made four years AFTER the fact, so it's DMC3that conflicts with previously written and set information from when Kamiya headed DMC. Information was updated and retconned, but the novel is STILL canon background and setting info, Capcom has never declared it non-canon, that was an assumption by mebers of the fandom community, since the various writers of the series...really haven't given any effort to maintain a solid and consistant continunity.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Capcom may as well have declared it non-canon. They have no interest in preserving the previous information stated by Kamiya and the fact that they made DMC3 to essentially "rewrite" Dante's origin story is proof. When it comes to main titles versus supplementary material (which is what the novels are), the main titles/games take precedence. They always do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom