• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What does Devil May Cry actually mean?

asdf

I mean the phrase itself. I know a devil may cry attitude refers to reckless behaviour and a general disregard for danger, but does anyone know how that idiomatic meaning relates to the literal meaning of the words themselves? I.e. why would the devil be crying if a person was reckless? You'd think he'd be all for it...

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
This question was answered in the first game. Devils in the Devil May Cry universe are thought to have no empathy. Which is why there's the phrase "Devils never cry" thrown about as well.

However, this is not true. Demons are capable of empathy just as much as humans are because Trish cries for Dante in DMC 1. Plus, a part of Sparda "waking to justice" was seeing humanity's capability for empathy. He also fell in love with Eva.

"Devils never cry" is false. Devil MAY Cry.

Does sound pretty cool though too.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I always thought Devil May Cry was a great play on words, and a great representation of Dante's personality and the overall theme of the game...
...right up until the writers ruined it in that sappy scene with Lady and Dante at the end of DMC3. :vomit:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I always thought Devil May Cry was a great play on words, and a great representation of Dante's personality and the overall theme of the game...
...right up until the writers ruined it in that sappy scene with Lady and Dante at the end of DMC3. :vomit:
Yea, that was pretty sappy and lame.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I mean the phrase itself. I know a devil may cry attitude refers to reckless behaviour and a general disregard for danger, but does anyone know how that idiomatic meaning relates to the literal meaning of the words themselves? I.e. why would the devil be crying if a person was reckless? You'd think he'd be all for it...

Basically the cutscene with Dante and Lady at the end of DMC3, after Vergil's loss, answers your question the best:

- Are you crying?
- It's only the rain.
- The rain has already stopped.
- Devils never cry.
- I see. Maybe somewhere out there even a devil may cry when he loses a loved one. Don't you think?

The phrase means that even demons, considered ruthless and only capable of evil by popular lore, can feel human sentiments and shed tears for those they care about. Just like Dante did when Vergil got lost forever.
This theme is further explored in DMC3 in opposition to human nature: Arkham, a human, did horrible things to achieve the power of Sparda and become a god, while Dante, a demon (as well as Sparda himself), actually possesses a human heart capable of love and compassion. So, as Lady says, there are humans as cruel and evil as any devil, as well as kind and compassionate demons in this universe.

It's a recurring theme in the series.

Last edited:

Viper

Premium
first time i heard Devil May Cry, i thought this meant "He will make the devil cry".
well its not.

@Foxtrot94 pretty much explained it.

Enzo did imply in one of his testimonies that the name of the shop references Dante's might, against which even a devil may cry, so you were not alone in this. XD

But, yeah, it was always the fact that despite being a devil, one may experience sadness over loss, if they are open to it.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Well...um, you know, like I said, the answer was given to us already in the first game.

Devil May Cry just comes from the misconception that demons aren't capable of empathy.

Simple as that.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Enzo did imply in one of his testimonies that the name of the shop references Dante's might, against which even a devil may cry, so you were not alone in this. XD

This is actually the first time I hear that, it's interesting and makes sense, in a way LOL

But, yeah, it was always the fact that despite being a devil, one may experience sadness over loss, if they are open to it.

And that's where real strength comes from. Compassion and love are the real Power of Sparda everyone has looked to reach throughout the games. You can acquire his demonic powers, but without a just cause to serve, and no one to protect, you will never be as he was.

- The Power of Sparda... WHY WON'T YOU GIVE ME STRENGTH?! Am I not worthy?
- Never could take those legends too literally. But I do know that Sparda had a heart. A heart that could love another person. A human. And that is what you lack!

Dialogue between Nero and Sanctus Diabolica - Devil May Cry 4

Last edited:

asdf

You're thinking of a "devil my care" attitude.

"Devil May Cry" is basically a pun.

I think this must be it. Probably the demon's are going to cry when they meet Dante.

I don't think the phrase "Devil never cry" has much to do with the meaning of "Devil May Cry". In the first game they coined the phrase at the end to mean that if you can cry then you're more than just a devil, and used the alteration of the game title/shop name to emphasise it's significance, but I don't think that implies anything about the meaning of the original phrase. If you think about it it would be really weird for a professional demon hunter to give his business a name stating that demons have feelings too.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I think this must be it. Probably the demon's are going to cry when they meet Dante.

I don't think the phrase "Devil never cry" has much to do with the meaning of "Devil May Cry". In the first game they coined the phrase at the end to mean that if you can cry then you're more than just a devil, and used the alteration of the game title/shop name to emphasise it's significance, but I don't think that implies anything about the meaning of the original phrase. If you think about it it would be really weird for a professional demon hunter to give his business a name stating that demons have feelings too.
Like I said, the answer is already given in Devil May Cry so there's really no need to go any further with decoding its definition. Especially when all 3 did was reduce it to a really sappy and typical element for more melodrama.

Most believe demons are not capable of empathy. That's not true. Devil may cry.

When it came to naming his shop though, you can assume his mindset was due to Enzo's testimony about Dante's strength against demons. Dante's got an ego and can be full of himself. It makes sense for him to name his shop within that context doesn't it? Sounds like something Dante would do. It's what I always believed.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium

He named his shop Devil May Cry in memory of what happened in DMC3 with Vergil and what Lady told him. Kinda like some sort of reminder to himself not to forget his humanity, cause that's what makes him different: in that scene with Lady, he says that devils never cry out of shame, but he actually was crying.
Lady's phrase "Maybe somewhere out there even a Devil May Cry when he loses a loved one" was what made him pick the name for his shop, as explained in DMC3's very final cutscene.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Devil May Cry is Japanese title that belongs with the pile of other Japanese action names like:
Killer is Dead
Shadows of the Damned
Infinite Undiscovery
Wild Arms
Lily Bergamo
No More Heroes
Liberation Maiden
Bravely Default
Melty Blood
Guilty Gear
Metal Gear Solid/Acid/Rising
One Night Kiss
Twilight Syndrome
Advent Children
Why Don't You Play In Hell?
Death Trance
Wild 7
HellDriver
SoulCalibur
PsychoBreak
Digital Devil Saga

Need I add any more. Just add Devil May Cry anywhere in that list and tell me it doesn't belong. I dare you, I TRIPLE DOG dare you.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Devil May Cry is Japanese title that belongs with the pile of other Japanese action names like:
Killer is Dead
Shadows of the Damned
Infinite Undiscovery
Wild Arms
Lily Bergamo
No More Heroes
Liberation Maiden
Bravely Default
Melty Blood
Guilty Gear
Metal Gear Solid/Acid/Rising
One Night Kiss
Twilight Syndrome
Advent Children
Death Trance
Wild 7
HellDriver
Why Don't You Play In Hell?
SoulCalibur
PsychoBreak
Digital Devil Saga

Need I add any more. Just add Devil May Cry anywhere in that list and tell me it doesn't belong. I dare you, I TRIPLE DOG dare you.
This is just kinda weird and arbitrary man.

There's different reasons behind the names of the titles you mentioned. "Devil May Cry" has a reason too. They aren't just throwing stuff together in some "different Japanese mindset" you're trying to claim there is. That doesn't even make any sense really.

(Devil May Cry also isn't just a title used by a video game. My girlfriend has a novel titled that which is a part of some series she reads.)

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
This is just kinda weird and arbitrary man.

There's different reasons behind the names of the titles you mentioned. "Devil May Cry" has a reason too. They aren't just throwing stuff together in some "different Japanese mindset" you're trying to claim there is. That doesn't even make any sense really.
So you are telling me that if those same titles were made in the US or other English speaking countries there is a very strong possibility that they would be called the same thing they are now? You think that before Devil May Cry was named anyone else would've made something with the same title, or even any of the other ones? That when Japan names things in English there isn't any notion that that title came from Japan, that by title alone you couldn't tell it was Japanese?

Face it, there is a motif to Japanese names and DMC fits into the pile. All of those could have more sensible titles if they were made elsewhere (In Lily Bergamo's case a more conventional name) but they go with a more stylized action titles there and the difference is palpable.

By the way, with this game? The fact is that there is a very strong possibility that they named the game well before they came up with a theme to go with it, that they picked a cool name and then they wrote it into the story. It was a Resident Evil game for a lot longer than it was DMC.

(Devil May Cry also isn't just a title used by a video game. My girlfriend has a novel titled that which is a part of some series she reads.)
Yeah, I've seen it, and when was it published? Yeah. There is nothing that was named Devil May Cry before the games, m8, it's where it comes from. There is also a Rap album from Donnie Darko by that name but nothing precedes DMC1.

Last edited:

asdf

Thank you for the replies people. It seems I need to play DMC3 before making any judgement about the meaning of the title so for now I'll just take your word for it. I would have done that before making this thread but as meg pointed out I confused it with devil may care and was expecting an out of game explanation for it's meaning.

Face it, there is a motif to Japanese names and DMC fits into the pile. All of those could have more sensible titles if they were made elsewhere (In Lily Bergamo's case a more conventional name) but they go with a more stylized action titles there and the difference is palpable.

Just because Japanese titles often have nonsensical seeming English doesn't mean they weren't trying to convey anything with it, and many of the ones you posted weren't nonsensical at all. I haven't played most of those games so I can't comment on what they signify, but it's clear what "killer is dead" means in a game where you go around killing killers, and "bravely default" (which I haven't actually played) is a reference to one of the game's key mechanics.

Top Bottom