• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are the most Overrated games you've ever played

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
My No #1 Most Overrated game i've ever played is Final fantasy 7&Crisis core .

FF7 was and still is being hailed as one of the best Ps1 games whereas i find it as the worst goddamn RPG i've ever played in my life mainly because its aged so poorly.

it just had tedious load times,ugly character designs(I love Japanese cartoons but this ****z is like anime for emo people) gameplay was just your old school turn based strategy in minecraft 3d and the story.. oh yes the story is the most epic letdown considering how its rabid fanbase told me that it has a great epic story and how you'll cry manly tears when aeries dies... or how sephiroth is the greatest video game villain ever.

The story felt like it was written by a bunch of 12 yr old avril lavigne fans on a sleepover.

I got over the FF7 hype debacle but Crisis core really got under my skin because it was being hailed as one of the best PSP games on the market.. and i tried it and guess what?? It was an "okay" game way better than the FF7 but the characters are still as about as engaging&deep as a paperclip and are emo as fuc* and the game is fairy average.

As an RPG game it gets its ass whooped by awesome games like monster hunter,Ys seven and Disgaea.

No #2 :-

After deep pondering i've come to the conclusion that Sonic has in fact ALWAYS SUCKED BALLS!

Its one of the most shallow,unoriginal platforming game i've ever played,all do you is run to the right jump and collect unnecessary rings heck even angry birds has more "variety" than any 2d sonic game.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHY brilliant games like earthworm Jim gets cancelled after just one awful 3d game but this pile of putrid garbage gets to live so long,Sonic fans you make me lose faith in humanity! you people bitch&moan about how sonic 3d games are mediocre platformers while not realizing that its only because it is based on a 2d sub-par mediocre platforming game!

No #3

Final Fight&Golden axe.

Whenever you type "Beat'em'up" on google you are 100% guaranteed to get these 2 on the top these games define that genre despite being so abysmally mediocre,they have no extended combo moveset,have stiff animation,controls and overall slower pacing with forgettable music.

Streets of Rage 2,Sengoku 3,Cadillacs&dinosaurs and Guardian heroes.. these are the games that should be used to represent this kickass genre NOT something mediocre like golden axe or final fight and i hate the word "Final fight clone" its just like saying "God of war clone" while it actually makes sense why anyone would use God of war as a yardstick but final fight.... really?? that's like saying dynasty warriors is better than devil may cry.

And in the current gen i've had the misfortune of witnessing a cavalcade of overhyped titles like Street fighter 4,GTA 5,Bioshock infinite,Skyrim these games had INSANE amount of hype and did they live up to it?? NOPE.. they're just average games which was just piggybacking on its predecessor's success.

SF4 is GARBAGE.. its character designs look ugly,has stiff controls and has jerky movesets and some broken "supers" bullshit and the final boss.. boy he sure is so easy to beat... (NOTTTT)

I am perplexed to see how a SNES era game can be given a HD coating and people will hype it like its something new and revolutionary.

GTA 5 Oh yeah do i even have to mention? we knew what we were getting it was going to be like every other GTA THERE WAS NOTHING to be this hyped about it was not something revamped it just builds upon GTA 4 and adds more stuff to it.

Skyrim is the 16th.. SIXTEENTH entry in the long running elder scroll RPG series.. i want to know WHAT IS SO GODDAMN NEW ABOUT THIS GAME? where was the hype for all the 16 games which came before it? was i living under a rock or something?

And very recently the amount of hype bioshock&last of us got was ridiculous and its popularity fizzed out so fast that i can't believe it! either i'm going mad or i really can't find people raving about bioshock infinite and last of us's brilliant story anymore what brought about this change i wonder...

Absent Nova

Phantom Thief
God of War, it's more puzzle than hack n slash.

I agree about GTA and Skyrim, they're both really, really overrated. Skyrim on PS3 was the worst technical disaster I've ever had the displeasure of playing.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Where to f**king begin?

- Half Life 2
I'll get this one out of the way, I really really liked Half Life 1, I enjoyed every single moment of it, but Half Life 2 is nothing but a total f**king bore, my first impressions of it were boring, all I did was walk, listen to crap and when I finally got to my first weapon, the crowbar, it didn't feel that good to use and there was f**k all to use it on, then I got the pistol, it felt weak and unsatisfying to use, then the sub machine gun, it also felt weak and unsatisfying to use and then I was met with all these physics puzzles in this very very VERY quiet game setting where next to nothing was happening, it was all just so god damn boring, I got as far as getting to the first vehicle segment and I quit out of boredom, haven't touched it since.
Such a f**king bore, Half Life 1 did start out with it's walking through halls, listening to crap, but when things started going to hell, it was exciting and the weapons were very satisfying to use, I can go back and play Half Life 1 over and over again, but Half Life 2 is just.....so......BORING!!!!!

- DmC Devil May Cry
I've said time and time again why this game is complete garbage, but I'll say it again.
This game royally f**ked what made Devil May Cry the king of hack n slashes, extremely dumbed down gameplay, ripped off and terrible story, ugly graphics and ruined the greatest character in the genre.
Critics hailed the game because of their love for show and tells with less gameplay features and pretty lighting, but the game is an undeniable step down from past games in the franchise.

- Tomb Raider 2013
The most overrated reboot in history. Everyone who thinks this game is amazing is FACT, a moron.
Not only did it throw away everything Tomb Raider and replace it with every single modern gameplay cliche in the book.
But TR2013 was keyword here "marketed" as a game about survival, I saw all the "Survivor is born" promos and "Guide to Survival" videos etc, but what in the flying f**k is survival about this pile of crap?
The only part in the game that has anything related to a survival game is that pointless part near the beginning where Lara kills a deer, after that, you never need to do it again the entire game.
Plus there's no survival features what so f**king ever, Lara doesn't need to heal her injuries or feed herself to stay strong, it's all regen health and repetitive gun battles just to progress its story.
I can name a great game that was made a f**king decade ago that did survival gameplay well and had an amazing story along with it.
MGS3 Snake Eater, you had to keep the protagonist fed to keep his strength up, by finding food or hunting animals and you had to heal him by digging out the bullets, disinfecting and stitching up wounds, burns etc.
You must be registered for see images

Plus even the old Tomb Raider games had survival elements, you had to find medkits to keep your health up and not overuse them because they were limited.
If a game that was made 10 f**king years ago can have an amazing story and equally amazing gameplay, then why can't Tomb Raider 2013 do it?
It's because developers are lazy, publishers are weak and gamers have extremely low standards nowadays, that's it.

- Last of Us
I don't think this game is bad, but it's horribly overrated and doesn't deserve it's acclaim, it doesn't do anything innovative like it promised it would and it just ends up being another show and tell among the bunch.
If it ended up being anything like it's PAX demo then it would have been amazing, but it's simply just another average show and tell.

- Everything Ninja Theory makes.
Not saying this to hate on NT, but their games are very undeserving of their praise, their games are all about story and looking pretty, the games themselves are generic and no fun to play.
Idiotic reviewers need to judge the entire games, not just the stories.

- Everything Telltale makes.
I'm slowly warming up to Telltale, but still they are horribly overrated, now yes, their talent is in story telling, but they still gain very very undeserved praise, their games are broken, often unplayable and filled with bugs.
Again, idiotic reviewers need to judge the entire games, not just the stories.

- Bioshock Infinite
I thought this game was average, the gameplay didn't feel as good and it just got boring and very repetitive after a while.
Definitely didn't deserve it's praise.

I've played so many games that sucked but were highly acclaimed, it's hard for me to remember all of them, but those I just listed are some of the biggest ones I've played.

Last edited:

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
God of War, it's more puzzle than hack n slash.
hmm not really.. its puzzles are very basic and simple its focus is mostly on brutal visceral gameplay of blocking,dodging and repelling attacks and it does require strategy in higher difficulties although i agree its tad overrated by its fanbase but its a fun game nonetheless.
Do demos count ? If so then the DevilMayCry reboot.
7. ResidentEvil5
I would agree with you because this game got 9/10 from all the game reviewing websites.. i was like WTF that's bullshit!

Rilgar

I fought the war but the war won't staaaahhhppp...
Now I'm a big time fan of Naughty Dog's earlier stuff like Crash and Jak & Daxter, with the latter being my all time favourite series. But Uncharted 3 & The Last Of Us...I don't get the hype.

Uncharted 3: The only one in the series I've played, and while the graphics were pretty and the VA'ing was Oscar-winning, the game itself and the story felt underwhelming to me. How the heck did this get a 10/10 from IGN I'll never understand.

The Last Of Us: Similar to the above. A mere amalgamation of 28 Days Later, World War Z and a bunch of other similar dystopian/disaster films (Maybe with a lil' bit of Children Of Men thrown in?), harping on about an uninspired plot. Seriously, I remember the goddamn Simpsons doing a spoof where Ellie = Bart and he's 'the cure.' So why all the praise? I get that it could be considered a technological achievement in other fields...but again, the story alone certainly isn't A-grade.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
''FF7 was and still is being hailed as one of the best Ps1 games whereas i find it as the worst goddamn RPG i've ever played in my life mainly because its aged so poorly.''

When you think about it, isn't that the wrong stance to take? Reviewers don't review games after fifteen years either, you know. I mean, back then, it was hailed as one of the best PS1 games. Of course it's not going to be the best PS1 game (or a great game in general) when you judge it by 2014 standards. That goes for every game. The same goes for DMC1: I'm pretty sure it was great at the time, but since games have evolved so much over time, DMC1 really sucks when you compare it to today's games.

As for the question, I'd say:

Street Fighter IV. Yeah, it was a good game, but I kept thinking about the old SFs and how I wanted them back... only with better graphics and gameplay, obviously. Why? Because like you said, the character models in SF IV look pretty weird. Ryu and Ken have huge muscles and feet, and almost all the female characters are overly curvaceous. And the music... blegh. The old Street Fighters seemed like parodies of various cultures and their fighting styles, with music to match. But in SF IV, it's all become a bit too mainstream or predictable.

Skyrim. I really hated it. It was in many ways a copy of Oblivion, only with boring environments, boring characters and even worse quests. How they went from Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood to Skyrim's Dark Brotherhood, I will never know. Those questlines are not even remotely comparable in terms of story quality.

The Witcher 2. It felt like Fable II to me, only more 'edgy'. At some point, I rolled my eyes, because I kept walking in on somebody having kinky sex. After the third time, I really felt like the game was trying too hard to be 'mature'. Also, characters often act annoyed or ****ed for no good reason. I compared it to Fable II because it had almost exactly the same spells, and melee combat feels comparable to it too. The story is so convoluted when it comes to side quests and stuff, it just makes me want to stop playing.

Fable III. It had a fairly silly story. No likable characters unless you happen to be eight years old. Magic was overpowered. Melee combat was boring and didn't require skill, just mashing a button. Certain ranged combat features from Fable II were removed. Even the overall atmosphere was pretty much a fail. This sums it up:

DmC: Devil May Cry, for pretty much the same reasons xMobilemux stated. Restrictive gameplay: devil trigger makes everything fly up into the air, you need to hit the blue enemy with the blue weapon, and so on. Dante is pretty much unlikable in general, Vergil is a maniac, Mundus is now a walking cliché, Kat is... I don't know what she is. Annoying, I guess. Hell, the entire story was one big cliché, and not a good kind of cliché, IMO.

GTA V. I was really disappointed by how little you can do in its world. Seriously, there are only a few side missions, and I've already completely forgotten what they were about. Its story was pretty nice, though. I have no idea why people can keep playing this game. Its replay value is next to none. Maybe xMobilemux is right: maybe games rely too much on their stories nowadays, forgetting that they're supposed to be games. I'm getting really p*ssed off about how some developers focus on making their games 'more like TV shows'. F*ck that! I don't want developers to incorporate [email protected] elements from mediocre TV shows! Get your gameplay done right first, and then we'll see about TV show elements.

Final Fantasy XIII-2, maybe. It's worse than XIII on almost every level, really. I will never get why people find it the better one. Forgettable characters and story, fake freedom when it comes to the locales. Mandatory puzzles. And oh great, a time travel plot.

And games might just be getting worse. Even AAA titles. I mean, what is so great about Watch Dogs? Why all the hype around Quantum Break? It doesn't look that great so far, really. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor... doesn't look very good either: you have almost no skills. Also, you can 'become' a wraith now, which makes no sense from a LOTR lore perspective. Looks like an Assassin's Creed clone, too. ''Oooh, but you can let bosses infiltrate into Mordor''. Great, but the gameplay is still very shallow, and I don't see any RPG elements, despite its advertisement as an RPG. Enough ****e.

Last edited:

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Reviewers don't review games after fifteen years either
What are you kidding me? you can find retro reviews online and i played FF7 10 years ago and that was BEFORE HD gaming standards and i still found it to be big letdown from what fans hyped it to be(espeically the story&characters) and i'm only comparing it with other PS1 games and it doens't really live up to the standards set by other RPG games like chrono cross it has way better graphics,likable characters and overall better story when compared to the joke of a story in FF7... its not that FF7's story is spectacularly bad or anything it just that the characters are so horribly cliched&stereotypical.

And it is just me or does chrono cross have faster combat gameplay when compared to final fantasy 7's stilted attacks?
DMC1 really sucks when you compare it to today's games.
No it doesn't,aside from minor control&camera issues the game is still enjoyable and it does stand the test of time(though HD remaster&Pcsx2 scaling certainly helps).
Street Fighter IV
. Yeah, it was a good game, but I kept thinking about the old SFs and how I wanted them back... only with better graphics and gameplay
SF series changed completely after the alpha series came in.. and funny enough i actually like the Ex series... yeah its a mediocre 3d fighter but they should've stuck to that instead of going back to the alpha series.

What perplexes me is that SF4 is just SF alpha with ugly 3d cell shaded graphics and its so popular despite being not so innovative like tekken.
I mean, what is so great about Watch Dogs?
Well.. its next gen and has HIGH TECH SUPER DUPER GRAFIX! remember Perfect Dark zero? neither do i,neither do i.

Meg

Soup
The Last of Us
DmC
Final Fantasy XII & XIII
Skyrim (I like this game, but I don't think it's as good as it was made out to be)
Street Fighter IV

I can't think of any others right now. :unsure:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Premium
Supporter 2014
Metal Gear Rising Retardance

Bayonetta (both 1 & 2)

Wonerful 101

Anything from that company really. People act as if its the Second Coming (literally) and in the end, it really isn't. Not by a long shot.

Also DMC4. **** that game. Seriously. It was half a game with two characters I hated.

Oh... Ground Zeroes -- A glorified demo if I've ever seen one.

Last edited:

KRSkull

Resident evil 4:

Just another boring run and gun type of game that has an annoying know it all protagonist. And an annoying good for nothing spoiled kid that you have protect from everything.

Call of Duty and Battlefield:

Do i need to talk about them.

Reactions: Meg

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
What are you kidding me? you can find retro reviews online and i played FF7 10 years ago and that was BEFORE HD gaming standards and i still found it to be big letdown from what fans hyped it to be(espeically the story&characters) and i'm only comparing it with other PS1 games and it doens't really live up to the standards set by other RPG games like chrono cross it has way better graphics,likable characters and overall better story when compared to the joke of a story in FF7... its not that FF7's story is spectacularly bad or anything it just that the characters are so horribly cliched&stereotypical.

And it is just me or does chrono cross have faster combat gameplay when compared to final fantasy 7's stilted attacks?
No it doesn't,aside from minor control&camera issues the game is still enjoyable and it does stand the test of time(though HD remaster&Pcsx2 scaling certainly helps).SF series changed completely after the alpha series came in.. and funny enough i actually like the Ex series... yeah its a mediocre 3d fighter but they should've stuck to that instead of going back to the alpha series.

What perplexes me is that SF4 is just SF alpha with ugly 3d cell shaded graphics and its so popular despite being not so innovative like tekken.Well.. its next gen and has HIGH TECH SUPER DUPER GRAFIX! remember Perfect Dark zero? neither do i,neither do i.
I don't know, I haven't played Chrono Cross. But I'm not in the habit of comparing two totally different games with each other. And I certainly think it's a bad idea to judge old games based on modern ideas. If back then you thought it sucked, fine. But I'm not going to pretend it's supposed to fit 2014 standards in any way. And whether it's cliché or not doesn't really affect the game's quality.
Oh, and "ten years ago" is seven years after the game's release, btw. So maybe you compared FF VII to too modern games.

And yes, DMC1 most definitely sucks if you hold it to 2014 standards. Your attacks are fairly underwhelming and you can't do combos, really. Aside from just attacking all the time by pressing one button, what else does it allow you to do? Pretty much nothing. You can jump, I guess. Tried playing it again a short while ago... can't compare it to DMC3 or Bayonetta.

I liked SF EX Plus Alpha. Extremely outdated nowadays, but I like its style, characters, and music. Would be great if they could take a leaf out of that old SF book.

Last edited:

The Final Offer

If we're going to criticize games and call others whom love it to bits idiots. Then let me start by saying this.

If you bring up your favorite game and I've played it. I will literally demolish whatever creative design, excellent gameplay, or amazing story you think it has.

Try me.

Point being, every game ANY OF YOU has ever played is overrated to someone.

So here's the best game ever that reignited friendships, destroyed relationships, gave breath to teamwork, united families, created adrenaline, pushed other genres, manifested groups, rewarded you in the best way possible, invited your girlfriend to join, isn't nerdy, isn't any form of RPG, and made millions upon millions with each installment.

F it, You know the name of the series and there is nothing you can say to change it's sales, it's popularity, nor it's fun factor.

So here, this entire thread in a nutshell revealed, countered, and made pointless to me in just a few words.

Salty. F***in'. Gamers. Everywhere.

Oh and if you think this "best game ever" made everyone "childish", you must've forgot the beginning of it all.

So beat it. The most popular game is still the most popular game. Because everyone including your imaginary friend believes it's ****ing awesome. Wanna know why? Because it proved it's ****ing awesome.

So when will one of you actually stand up and do something about this ****fest of gamers who complain about what other gamers are enjoying?

Ya'll over here dwelling on the past like it's cool. Ya know who else dwells on the past?

The F is this? The losers' circle?​

Last edited:

Maxman

Hmmmm.....let's see what other game i thought that was overrated

**** i can't think of any other game atm, the only one I can think of is Dead Island, and that i posted it :p

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Premium
Supporter 2014
The F is this? The losers' circle?​
Well... yeah, dude. It's what we are.

And my favorite game ever is Darksiders II. I honestly don't mind you tearing it apart because I know that you'd validly criticize it instead of use meaningless catchphrases (like the word "edgy", which seems to be a personal favorite amongst haters) you've heard on youtube and whatnot.

Yeah, it's got its flaws... but I'd rather listen to you than to anyone who thinks hating on a game is "what a 'smart' consumer does" and in the end is just trying to get on their friends' good side for it.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
If we're going to criticize games and call others whom love it to bits idiots.​
I never said that... i don't know what gave you that impression.
If you bring up your favorite game and I've played it. I will literally demolish whatever creative design, excellent gameplay, or amazing story you think it has.
and eye for an eye eh? I'll do that for you! many of games i love actually are OVERRATED!

Assassins creed 1 OVERRATED(Seriously the most overrated game of 2007! i used to love this but looking back it really sucks... its choppy,bland and has repetitive missions)
GTA 4 OVERRATED (Aside from pretty graphics.. this game just such a damn downgrade)
RE4 OVERRATED(its just a 3rd person shooter... it has nothing to with survival horror!)
NFS Most wanted OVERRATED(Seriously.. its not the best racing game ever)
So beat it. The most popular game is still the most popular game.
No its not its overrated,you have to remove your fanbaby glasses and look through the hype from a neutral standpoint.

The term "overrated" doesn't mean the game is bad or anything it just the game is HYPED way more than what it actually delivers.
gamers who complain about what other gamers are enjoying?
We wouldn't really mind.. if the concerned game wasn't HYPED AS FU*K , don't hype the game SO MUCH if you can't stand the criticism!

Seriously can you look at this game and tell me that it delivers for what it is hyped for?
You must be registered for see medias

Last edited:

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
But I'm not in the habit of comparing two totally different games with each other.
Well they're not totally different games.. they're both turn based RPG games for one and its fair to compare other games which are similar,i was judging it as a PS1 game and by its standards it still doesn't live up to its illustrious reputation,there are dozens of other good RPG games on PS1 that beg for more recognition.
And whether it's cliché or not doesn't really affect the game's quality.
Well it kinda does because RPG games are story&character oriented and they have a LOT of text so you can't help but laugh at how bad the story is its not like Devil may cry where the story is only told through cutscenes.
Oh, and "ten years ago" is seven years after the game's release, btw. So maybe you compared FF VII to too modern games.
I was just playing all the PS1 classics and this particular title was so insanely popular that i had to play it.

just type "Top 10 or top 5 PS1 games" and you can't find a list without this game... that is bloody nonsense this game hasn't aged well and its an average RPG for its own time.
And yes, DMC1 most definitely sucks if you hold it to 2014 standards. Your attacks are fairly underwhelming and you can't do combos, really.
Hey.. wait darksiders doesn't have many combos either and DMC 1 was also primarily an action adventure game and many hack'n'slash games like dynasty warriors have extremely simplistic combat and they're still being made .

Top Bottom