• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Warhammer 40,000 Fan-Fic. (Title pending.)

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Just a story I'm currently working on, based upon the Grey Knights of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, my title is still pending, if anyone has any ideas, feel free to help me out because that's the part I'm worst at. :lol:

So yeah, just thought I'd share it here.

---

Chapter 1.​
Victory does not always rest with the big guns: but, if we rest in front of them we shall be lost.​
Commander Argentius of the Silver Skulls.

“Squad Kantor! Suppressing fire on the lines up ahead! Squad Nelis, on me, we cannot allow the Heretics to push forward any further! We must punch through their lines now or all shall be lost!”

Justicar Lucien’s vox flared to life with the gruff voices of his battle-brothers.

“Affirmative, laying down suppressing fire.” Came the response from Justicar Nelis and his Terminator squad, the thunderous fire of their storm bolters erupted into the air, delicately flying past Justicar Lucien and the members of his squad, cutting down lines of Cultists that charged hopelessly towards them.

Justicar Nelis and the remainder of his squad formed up on Lucien’s position, taking their place behind the ranks of Lucien’s battle-brothers, each one brandishing their Nemesis Force Halberds, the truly fearsome weapons of the Grey Knights. Force weapons are powerful melee devices, a key staple of any Grey Knight’s weaponry and as sacred to them as their gleaming, silver armour. Taking the form of a Halberd, Sword, or as a rarity in these days, a Hammer, the Nemesis force weapons are attuned to each individual battle-brother’s psyche, each a manifestation of the psychic strength of the Grey Knight who wields it, and what with the Grey Knights being some of the most powerful psykers at the disposal of the Emperium, these weapons, as well as the Space Marine warriors were met with nothing more than absolute fear and respect.

“Nelis, ensure that the Cultists do not form up behind our ranks, we cannot afford to be trapped in the middle of this mess.” Justicar Lucien bellowed down his Vox, following suit, Nelis’ entire squad performed an about face, weapons held out to the sides to ensure that no cultist got anywhere near them.

Justicar Lucien pushed forward, Nelis following closely behind whilst Kantor and his Terminator squad remained behind the front lines, spraying shells from their wrist mounted storm bolters into the Cultists up ahead, most all shots hit their mark and left, right and centre, robed Cultists were torn to pieces, Lucien’s squad opened up with their own bolters whilst Lucien himself brandished his Nemesis Halberd, one foolish Cultist charged directly towards him, peppering the Justicar with weak las-gun fire.

The shots were just absorbed into the metal, leaving nothing behind, not even a burn mark; the Cultist on the other hand faced a much more gruesome fate. As he got close, the Justicar thrust his halberd forward sharply, embedding the deadly tip of the weapon into the Chaos driven heretic’s chest. Lucien pitched his weapon upwards as the Cultist flailed and screamed, cursing the Grey Knight with ancient curses of the Chaos Gods.

The litanies and sigils that coated his armour lit up like flares as Lucien brought his weapon down, smashing it against the floor and systematically crushing the Cultist under the pressure. With a hideous crack, shattering every bone in the corrupt man’s body, his screaming and cursing came to a bitter end as all he could do was cough up blood.

Bolter fire rang through the air, ripping apart the line of Cultists. The Justicar muttered a few lines of passing to the man who lay at dying at his feet.

“You failed in this life, may the next one be more kind to you...And may the Immortal Emperor look upon you with mercy, for I shall not.”

Lucien raised his wrist mounted storm bolt and squeezed on the firing mechanism, one loud shot rang out through the air as it ripped through the dying Cultist’s head, splitting his skull and ending his pitiful life.

“Squad Lucien, Squad Nelis, fall in!” Lucien shouted across the vox, each soldier fell in alongside the Justicar, forming a long line of steely, battle hardened knights.

“Melee pattern, let the heretics know the might of our weapons, none shall break through!”

Each Grey Knight raised their Nemesis force halberds, holding them forward like a spear wall and with one shout from Lucien, they all charged forward in unison and met the Cultists head on. Each fanatical heretic screamed terrible death cries as their bodies met the tips of the halberds, impaling themselves willing on the weapons in some feeble attempt to slow down the hulking behemoths, but it made no difference as their storm bolters proved just as lethally effective in close quarters as they were at long range, blowing the screaming bodies from the weapons, freeing them up for more carnage.

Bloodshed filled the battlefield, corpses of Cultists flew off left, right and centre, the sky grew progressively darker as more and more blood was spilt in the name of the Emperor, the ground began to rumble as rain started to fall, purple flames rose from the bodies of the deceased heretics and the litanies and sigils of the armour of the Grey Knights grew brighter and bright, Justicar Lucien held up his hand, motioning for his battle-brothers to stop.

What remained of the living Cultist army began to flee as misshapen horrors emerged from the ground.

“Demons! Brothers! To arms! Purge them from this world and send them screaming back to the warp!”

Unearthly, rotting beasts clawed their way up from the dirt, letting out terrifying screams that would drive lesser men insane, their flesh bubbled and crawled, pulsating like the stuff of nightmares, things that shouldn’t even exist pulled themselves up from the depths of the warp in droves, even cutting down and feasting on the very cultists and heretics that worshipped their unearthly, chaotic existence. With the amount of violence and bloodshed that occurred here, Lucien could think of only one thing...The Blood God Khorne was beginning to extend his influence to even here, the once proud forge world of Ryboth on Segmentum Obscurus, these were demons from the Eye of Terror itself.

“Open fire!” Lucien screamed, bolter fire tore through the unholy beasts, blessed rounds burned the flesh and bones of the demons, bubbling and dissolving their flesh as the Grey Knights waded through them. Claws grabbed and flailed at their legs, trying to pull them down, but the litanies and wards on their armour burned clear marks into their flesh, their screams of victory turned into screams of pain and horror, yet regardless there were simply far more demons than there were Grey Knights.

“Kantor, we need your assistance, break supporting fire formations and make your way to our ranks as quickly as possible, the demons of Khorne make themselves known and we are about to be overrun!”

“Affirmative, marines, you heard the Justicar, we will make our way through the warp and...”

Static cut out Kantor’s transmission, the Eye of Terror grew ever stronger, interfering with transmissions across the Vox. No longer trusting his communications device, Justicar Lucien removed his helmet, strapping it to his side and barked orders to his men.

“Tactical retreat! Kantor’s Terminator squad are converging our position, open fire and pull back so we don’t get swarmed!”

The demons immediately moved to rush the already overwhelmed Knights, they had little room to manoeuvre between the thousands of beasts and were utterly alone, as demons cut close, they met the blades of their force halberds, cleaving head from body and slicing beasts clean in two. There was no end in sight however as wave after wave of the horrible, jabbering beasts ran full pelt towards the line of retreating Space Marines, spewing chaotic fire burning against the wards of their armour.

Justicar Nelis spoke for the first time since the beginning of the conflict.
“Sir, there are too many of them, I do not believe we can hold this line much longer, with respect...The forge world is lost.”

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
With that, a flash of white light appear in front of their ranks as eight bulky marines stepped out of the warp, within moments, the Terminator squad opened fire and Kantor charged forward with his halberd, cutting down demon after demon, each one he killed peeled away, vanishing in the same purple fire from which they were born. The constant waves of demons seemed less intimidating against the backdrop of the bulky Terminators in their pure white, glistening armour. Kantor spoke over the vox.

“Justicar Lucien, I have requested support from any nearby chapters who can offer the forces to spare; the Dark Angels have rendered their assistance.”

With that, there were multiple thuds across the battlefield as drop pods bearing the Chapter insignia of the Dark Angels hit the floor, crushing demons under their weight. The doors of one pod in particular were kicked outwards with such force that an entire line of demons stood before it were blown away, crushed under its weight and force as a Hellfire Dreadnought accompanied by two squads of Marines stepped out.

Chants came from the freshly deployed marines.
“All sinners shall fear the Emperor’s wrath!”

Fire spilled from the Dreadnought’s heavy flamer, the demons instinctively tried to flee from the spread of the flames but they were caught out by the heavy bolter fire of the marines, ripping tank shell size holes into their bodies. Bullet spray and hellfire flames accompanied the Grey knights pushing up to meet up with their new allies, their halberds cleaving through demons more efficiently than ever.

Up ahead, the Force Commander of this regiment of the Dark Angels swung his mighty Daemonhammer, crushing skulls and cracking bones under the might of his weapon, firing off the odd shot with his bolter gun in this process, no demon went unpunished under this man’s might. His Dark Angels met up with him, mowing down endless streams of the demons that lay between them and the Grey Knights, but it was simply too much for them to deal with, even with the assistance of the Hellfire Dreadnought.

Lucien spoke up over the vox.
“Kantor, purge them as best as you know how, or our chances of joining up with our brothers are slim to none.”

“Affirmative Justicar.”

Kantor led his marines through a passage of the Secret Words of the Grey Knights, each Terminator spoke in unison.

“Praise the Emperor for his sacrifice,
as He endures so shall we.
We who are hunters of Daemons
shall strive in his name eternally. “

Like a crack of thunder, a titanic white bolt of light erupted from the Terminators, rending the flesh clean from the bodies of the jabbering, bubbling demons, dissolving into nothing as the white flames consumed them, their screams of pain shattered through the air, the wall of demonic flesh that lay between the knights and their battle brothers was reduced to nearly nothing as the Dark Angels and their Dreadnought tore through what little remained of their unholy forces. The Force Commander brought his hammer down to bear on the last demon in the field, crushing it, smearing blood and brain matter across the dirt, Lucien stepped forward to greet the Force Commander.

“Well met Commander, you arrived just in time.” Lucien held his hand out in greeting.
“Well met Justicar Lucien, it’s a pleasure to fight by your side, I am Vetora Magnus, acting Force Commander of this regiment of the Dark Angels and captain of the Strike Cruiser; Sword of Caliban, you’re fortunate we arrived when we did.” Magnus gripped Lucien’s hand, shaking it in respect.
“Indeed, though I must admit, the Dark Angels are the last Chapter I ever expected to respond to our distress signal, not that your assistance is not appreciated or course.” Lucien slid his force halberd away and motioned for the rest of his knights to do the same.

Magnus turned away, gesturing for Lucien to follow him.
“Much needs to be discussed Justicar, I understand that the Rubicon is some time away and no other Inquisitorial ships are available to collect you so you are perfectly welcome onboard the Sword of Caliban in the mean time, our Thunderhawks will be here to collect us shortly, our home is your home until the Rubicon is available to collect you.” Magnus placed his heavily armoured hand on the padded shoulder of Lucien.

“My thanks, we shall not impose ourselves upon your crew, just offer us a private quarters and we shall keep largely to ourselves.”

Magnus laughed, removing his hand from Lucien’s shoulder and flicking on his vox.
“Very well, then that is what you shall receive. Are the Thunderhawks en route yet?”
A voice crackled through his vox communicator, the metallic, almost robotic voice of a Techpriest Servitor responded.

“ETA 30 seconds.”

The sky rumbled as three mighty Thunderhawk gunships appeared in the distance, their dark green colour scheme displayed an interesting contrast to the blood red sand of the forge world, the gunships touched down, opening their cargo compartments, allowing the Dreadnought and the remainder of the Dark Angels to board, Lucien, Nelis, Kantor and their knights followed closely behind the Force Commander as the door closed behind them.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
Ooooh, I really like this so far. Keep it up, Credo ^.^

I especially love the way you described the daemons. Absolutely nasty and chaotic, as they should be x3

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Thanks, I appreciate it, I put effort into my description of all things demonic, they're meant to be horrible monstrosities that invoke nightmarish images in the minds of humans and that's exactly how they should be described. :p

Glad you like it, truth be told I don't know where the plot is going, I'll largely be making it up as I go along, I have vague ideas in my head, but I just write and add to it whenever my mind drifts off towards these sorts of things. :lol:

Ronan

oakheart
Premium
This fic is awesome Credo! Like BD said, the description of the demons was epic. I also liked the dialogue ^_^

And don't worry about winging it, that's how I survive in life. :lol:

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Thanks Tonks, I'm personally not keen on the banter between Marines, it feels a bit too hectic at times, though I guess during battle situations, dialogue isn't going to reflect calm normalcy. :lol:

Well that makes me feel a bit more secure about it, I literally am just winging the plot line for the first few chapters until I work out where I want to go with it.

Top Bottom