• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

VStyle Tournament is up, accepting DmC entries!

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
Think you've got what it takes to be stylish? Think you're the best and want to see how your competitors stack up? The VST is now in its second season, and is accepting entries until March 17th, 2013, so if you're interested in showing off your moves, sign up and start practicing, unless you think you're ready now!

Rules:
http://challonge.com/vstyletournament2

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/mdenc56egq

FAQ:
I've heard of the Truestyle Tournament, what's the VStyle tournament, and how is it different?
The VST runs on the same rules as the TST (being based off of it), but runs more frequently, is open to many more games (TST is typically DMC only), and is more accessible to players of average or lower skill, not just tournament elites

What kind of games can I use to enter the tournament?
You tend to see a LOT of devil may cry entries, but the full list is actually much more than that. Games like god hand, viewtiful joe, ninja gaiden, sengoku basara, even demos for games like metal gear rising (and yes, the DmC demo) are accepted. The full list of approved games is listed in the rules, and is always subject to change. If you feel you have a game that you can play stylishly, give us a shout and we'll get you hooked up.

Last season we had pretty much only DMC3 and 4, this time we're hoping for some more variety.

Where can I go to check out older entries?
http://www.youtube.com/user/vstyletournament
The official VST youtube channel, here you can check out last seasons entries, as well as last season's winning entry.

I heard the VST is run by 4Chan, is this true?
It's true! More specifically, it's run and maintained by the cuhrayzee games general on /vg/, which you'll find 1000x times more civil and organized than your run of the mill /v/ meme spouting hate thread.

Doesn't 4Chan hate DmC?
SOME people on 4chan hate DmC, and while these people are pretty vocal (even going as far as submitting joke entries to the VST, which gets them disqualified), you shouldn't worry about submitting a DmC video and getting graded unfairly. Those types are not going to be anywhere near the judging of your video.

Should I do some video editing/music overlay in my entry?
God yes, please do, none of us are really interested in listening to "Never Surrender" 30 times in a row. However, please check the rules for any video editing, since there are specific rules on what you must show and cannot edit out (unless you are entering a freestyle video). Also, please check to see if the song want to use is okay to use on youtube, otherwise youtube licensing might mute your video, and that would suck.

I hate you, Kam. Are you a judge? Do you run this?
No, I have absolutely nothing to do with the judging and maintaining of this tournament, I'm just passing the invite along.

How are videos judged?
Style. Not "the style meter", but just pure style. If you pull off something that looks sick and awesome, but the game only gives you a B rank, screw the meter.

I don't have a video capture card, am I out of luck?
Nope! You can enter a video captured by pointing a camera at the TV, in fact some of our season 1 entrants did this exact thing! We're going to judge your style, not your capture equipment

If you're submitting for multiple games, do you submit one video of your best combos of all the games you're entering for, or a separate video for each game?
We ask that you try to keep your submissions to one per person. I don't see a specific rule against multiple submissions, but if everyone did this, the entries would get super bloated really quick. Just splice all the clips you want to use into one video, this is totally okay. Keep in mind that all individual clips you use must conform to the rules for whichever style of video you are entering.

Turbo mode/Speeding up your clips
In the rules, we list that it is okay to speed up your footage by 25%. The reason for this is that some games have turbo modes (increasing game speed by 20%), while others do not. Allowing you to speed up your footage by 25% makes it so your clip doesn't look sluggish when compared to games running turbo mode. However, as a gentlemen's agreement, we ask that you don't speed up footage of games that are already running in turbo mode. We won't stop you, but it's not nice

If you've got any additional questions, post them here and I'll answer to the best of my ability, or pop on down to the cuhrayzee general on /vg/ and ask there. Hope to see your entries!

Gbraga

ArrancarDante is in, can't wait for the DmC greatness! Really like incNeet as well.

ArrancarDante is definitely my favorite though, just look at that:

Kam

ArrancarDante is in, can't wait for the DmC greatness! Really like incNeet as well.

ArrancarDante is definitely my favorite though, just look at that:

this is actually a good video to show off my point about style vs style meter when it comes to judging. The way he's killing these guys is obviously not the most efficient or most effective, and in some cases his style meter doesn't make it past the A rank. He's screwing around to be stylish, and that is the core of this tournament.

AngelMode

Good to see good old faces coming back there. I sort of suck so I probably won't participate but I can't wait to see some of these guys' videos. It's gonna be sick.

Kam

If my friend is willing to let me play it on his PS3 again, I might just do it.
just throwing it out there, the deadline isn't till march so you've got more than enough time to just wait for the full game to come out and secure a copy for yourself

Railazel

just throwing it out there, the deadline isn't till march so you've got more than enough time to just wait for the full game to come out and secure a copy for yourself

Wow, never would've figured the deadline would be so far away. Either way, I want to get my ears dry with the demo; get my skills polished up and whatnot.

Kam

Wow, never would've figured the deadline would be so far away. Either way, I want to get my ears dry with the demo; get my skills polished up and whatnot.
yup, everyone'll have plenty of time to prepare! Can't wait to see what cuhrayzee stunts you guys pull off for your videos after those months of prepping.
1356145962721.gif

LeoXCV

Single life for life
When you say "any game you can play stylishly" I'm assuming they still have to be combat orientated to be accepted onto the list.

Kam

When you say "any game you can play stylishly" I'm assuming they still have to be combat orientated to be accepted onto the list.
Yes. To give you an idea, the current "official" list of accepted games (from the rules link) is:
DMC1-4
Bayonetta
Vanquish
Godhand
Viewtiful Joe 1+2
Sengoku Basara
Ninja Gaiden 1-3
Metal Gear Rising
Anarchy Reigns
DmC

any game that has elements of skill and stylish combat, and preferably crazy combat, can be accepted for entry. If you think it would be at home with the other games on this list, you could probably make a good argument for that game. If there's a game you'd like to see added, details for contacting one of the vstyle admins and requesting it are in the rules link

berto

I Saw the Devil
I mentioned this on the Cuhrayzee /vg/ but I think people forget:
You can mute the sound on just about all of these games via the settings, like the BGM. So if you want to keep the SFX of the game along with your music track then it not hard, or even complicated.
It's obvious, I know, but not many people do it.

Kam

Are you entering Kam?
Yup! Though I'm not very good, and once school starts back I'm going to have almost zero free time to practice or make a really polished video. It's going to be pretty mediocre compared to some of the incredible stuff people were doing last season

HKDJ

Yes. To give you an idea, the current "official" list of accepted games (from the rules link) is:
DMC1-4
Bayonetta
Vanquish
Godhand
Viewtiful Joe 1+2
Sengoku Basara
Ninja Gaiden 1-3
Metal Gear Rising
Anarchy Reigns
DmC

If I decide to enter. Can I enter a combo video with more than just one of the games listed because there's a few games there that I could enter a combo vid for.

Kam

If I decide to enter. Can I enter a combo video with more than just one of the games listed because there's a few games there that I could enter a combo vid for.
It is absolutely okay for one video to switch between multiple games. Mix it up however you like, and above all, keep it stylish!

berto

I Saw the Devil
It is absolutely okay for one video to switch between multiple games. Mix it up however you like, and above all, keep it stylish!
So it's not about how good you are but how cool you make it look. Fantastic!

Kam

So it's not about how good you are but how cool you make it look. Fantastic!
basically. Keep in mind though, clips from each game you use have to conform to the guidelines listed in the rules link. Traditional and freestyle videos each have different rules

Furious D

Calm Stylish Fury
If you're submitting for multiple games, do you submit one video of your best combos of all the games you're entering for, or a separate video for each game?

Top Bottom