• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Virgil's shadow fiends (spoilers)

Taramafor

Here's how I see it. The shadow fiends represent Virgil's out of control side. Things like silence, fear/anxiety. Uncontrolled aggresion. etc.

Even Urizen has at least just sat there until you do provoke him. Virgil has always been the responder/reactor. Not the aggresor/attacker. The only exception to this is the shadow fiends when V is no longer around. Who attack Dante on sight.

Virgil is all about control. Even the moment he's pulled himself together he's pushing Dante back and warning him to back off for his own safety. Despite being attacked (and nearly killed after being broken for that matter). There's also his intro in DMC3 where he warns Arkham. Virgil's actions have always remained consistent in regards to being the responder. Regardless of how he feels about you. You mess up, you'll toast. But he's always watching to see your first move.

So when Virgil pulls himself back together the only thing not a part of him is the shadow fiends. Who again attack/provoke Dante on sight. No other aspect of Virgil has ever done this. Even Urizen will have a chat with you first. I see Urizen as Virgil's Apathy and V as Virgil's kindness/compansion (or perhaps consideration). Urizen doesn't remember. V does. His book of poems basically keeping his thoughts in order.

The uncontrolled side of Virgil actually starts building up even before DMC3 itself. Dead mother. His girl isn't around for some reason or another (perhaps because he failed to protect her based on 3s quote). Desperate to gain power to protect what he cares about ("without strength you can not protect anything. Let alone yourself"). He's basically Anakin/Darth Vader from Star Wars. Even goes through the whole transformation process. Wait, does that make Mundus Palpatine? Nero is even Virgil's son, just like Luke and Vader. Who beats up his dad to be accepted. I swear, they got the idea from the movies. And if it works it works.

Well, to get back to the topic. Shadow fiends. Out of control side of Virgil. Makes sense to me. They're the only part of Virgil that isn't back with him. Despite the fact V was right there doing it.

If that's now the situation then why would the shadow fiends attack Dante on sight? They were allies after all. The only answer I can come too is fear. And we all know fear leads to being out of control. Or if you don't know that, it does. The bird even has a panic attack on one boss fight. They seem to be Virgil's "defeatism". His more pessimistic side.

Top Bottom