• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

video games that got you interested in certain music

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
i wanted to post this thread for a while now, but i procrastinated for ages. but anyway, after i first played DmC, i really got a handle on combichrist. i'm a big fan of them now. and now, after playing infamous second son, i'm becoming a big fan of dead sara. so, my question to you is: what video game titles got you interested in a band or music genre of any type?

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Well, DmC: Devil May Cry sort of got me into aggrotech, but only Combichrist though. DMC didn't do much at all with heavy metal and heavy rock - I still do not like heavy metal, but I haven't come across "good" heavy metal since most heavy metal that comes on the radio and stuff are just screamos and other crap that don't do heavy metal justice in my opinion.

I guess Sly Cooper would be a jazz influence since it stars a sly, smooth, and clever thief. inFAMOUS 2 - I don't remember the first game's tracks that well besides the ending theme - would be that sort of tribal, visceral, instinctual drum thing that pops up every now and again. The series as a whole has this rhythm thing going on either electronically or acoustically and it's just cool and adrenaline-pumping.

Assassin's Creed in general does the same as inFAMOUS, but Black Flag really nailed it with the whole pirate-themed music and shanties. Oh, I do love me some shanties and Parting Glass is beautiful.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade would be traditional Japanese music mixed with modern sounds. In a way, it has that Samurai Champloo feel that Nujabes gave.

Metal Gear Solid 3, V, and Rising: Revengeance only gave one song from Starsailor, one from Garbage and one from Depeche Mode: Way to Fall and Wrong. I never really looked into Starsailor and Garbage, but I tried Depeche Mode and never really got into them.

Anyway, despite never playing GTA: San Andreas, it sort of got me into reggae more, but in a funny way: Drum Pan Sound by Reggie Steppa. The song is so hilarious, but so good.

In the same boat or airship: Bioshock. Never played them, but I really like the vintage, old songs from the pre-40's? Just hearing them is nice; there's this charm from old songs that you don't get from more recent or new songs.

Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One's trailer song, Cradle, introduced me to The Formidable Joy. Also, Final Fantasy XIII's localized theme, My Hands, is nice too. Yes, I like Leona Lewis and Christina Perri, Ellie Goulding, Kate Nash, Regina Spektor, Paramore, and sometimes Lady Gaga.

Here's one that's the opposite: Battlefield 3's & 4's static drop, bass drop, "dun-dun-DUH!!!" BS that's been haunting their games since BF3. It was kind of cool and tolerable at first, but it's like in every trailer and not just every BF trailer, but other games are doing this stupid "dun-dun-DUH!!!" thing. Seriously? Why can't we do something else? Why can't we have more games using jazz, blues, (good) rap, ska, country music - I'm serious, here -, classical, or even varied electronica than whatever the hell this is. It seriously sound like someone dropped a dog or cat and this "tune" came out and used to pass off as actual music. The crappiest songs and pieces in the world are better than this knock-off.

Well, if you want varied music, you can always try Animal Crossing.

Reactions: Jak

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
almost forgot. smackdown vs raw 2006 introduced me to wu-tang clan

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
DmC got me more into Combichrist.

Assassin's creed Black Flag got me into shanties and those sort of pirate songs.

I like the music in Silent Hill too, tracks like Hell Frozen Rain, that sort of thing.

I guess Final Fantasy X-2 got me into Koda Kumi's songs for a while too.

Kngdom Hearts helped me to discover Utada Hikaru.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Grand Theft Auto Vice City reinforced my love for 80's music (and introduced me to a lot more artists and songs from that decade).

In DMC3, the likes of 'Lost Souls Nirvana' has gotten me into 'Choral' music too.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I first heard Celldweller tracks on DMC videos. I'm a big Klayton fan these days. :>

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Not sure this counts, but I discovered DeVotchKa when I saw the trailer of Gears of War 2. The song was How it Ends.

Edit: and Kamelot thanks to a user-made video of DMC3 combos (The Elysium, I think the vid was called).

Last edited:

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
Gran Turismo 4
It was this game that got me hooked into guitar virtuoso and Instrumental Rock guitarist Joe Satriani nine years ago. It was some years later when I learned more about him, one of them being the guitar teacher of Metallica guitarist Kirk Hammett. Summer Song was definitely the first song I listened to from him since that song is also in GT4! I got so hooked into the song, I disabled most of the other songs and let that be played during races and in replays! :D

Gran Turismo 5
Jonathan Undertown of the band called fade
is what I discovered. He did a swell job on singing on the songs "5oul on Display", "Shadows of Our Past", and GT5's ending theme "Day to Live", which motivated me to win races. Jon also did vocals for songs in GT6: "Aliv3", "Looking for You", and its ED "We Are One", but he sounded different. Maybe he was auto-tuned, but I think daiki kasho's musical style has electronic too! Another song I liked is from GT5 Prologue which is "Flow".
GT5 songs:
(from GT5P)

GT6 songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUrqNEJeF4w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IuQl2sOVgk

Gran Turismo 6
Ray Hikari of Station of Revenge
is what I discovered here. He was the one who did the vocals for the songs "Place in this World" and GT6's OP "All My Life".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOSQeO97xoQ
(Same song as above but with the kickass intro from GT6's OP)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7qZiGS6Urk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PHOgCztoNY
Tom H@ck is another artist I discovered through this game. The song "I Was Born to Survive" is a very motivating song for me to win races!
Here's the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGlLY-Z9qJU
And Tom also did a Rock instrumental too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC59UOH25gk
I got hooked by the GT series' songs since I played the GT series since day number one! XD

Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
Not exactly on the game itself, but when I watched Xel'Naga Kail's DMC3SE Sons of Sparda combo vid over at YouTube, it was when I first listened to Kamelot through the song "When the Lights Go Down" off their second concept album "The Black Halo" which, along with its prequel album "Epica", is based on the story called "Faust". I first listened to it when I first saw that vid. Back then, this song was so awesome I did not know what the title was or who did it. It was when I opened up an account on Imeem (Anyone remember this site? Too bad MySpace bought it.) that I learned of who made this awesome song. I'm sure many of you remember that combo vid Kail did like me! It still gives me goosebumps up to this day!

And the names Mephisto and Faust were also used as demon names (cowardly demons) in DMC4.

DmC: Devil May Cry
If not for this game, I wouldn't be listening to Combichrist or discovered the genre they are in, which of course is Aggrotech (Dark Electronic, Hellectro, call it in things synonymous to it). So I'm with the OP Jak, Loopy and Shin Muramasa here! :D

It's really amazing how gamers like yours truly become so hooked on musical artists they just discover which they first heard such artists in various video games! :D

P.S.
Just so you guys should know, in case anyone should ask me what kind of music I am in to, I'm an open-minded general rocker. I may be open to many genres of music, but I enjoy listening to mostly the many derivatives of Rock&Roll, from that and Classic Rock to Hard Rock to Punk to Hardcore to Alternative to Heavy Metal! I do enjoy other genres (not those mainstream cr4p you hear in the airwaves everyday, but I know a few handful of them still have their own talent), but only those I find awesome (Jazz, Blues, Bossanova, New Age, Classical Music, Electronic Music, and Lounge Music just to name a few; hell, even oldies like the 80's and 90's with the latter oldies era being what my childhood was like; since I'm an anime fan like most of you, I also like J-Pop/J-Rock AKA Anime Music)!

Last edited:
Top Bottom