• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Video Games Pwning Over Real Life Physics! Pt. 1: Raiden Can Lift Giant Machines!

Railazel

Yeah, if there is one reason why we love video games, it's because we get to see things that would otherwise be impossible in real life. As a physics enthusiast, I don't see feats as just things to admire but things to ponder. So here I am breaking the feats and putting them up against science to see how things really should have gone down and to show how video games pwn real life physics.

Take this video of Metal Gear Rising's Raiden whoopin' some major mechanical tail:

On don't even know where to start since there was so much going in that one fight but I guess I should start with him lifting it up by its... ummm... fin, throwing it into the air, and chopping said fin into large chunks. As awesome as it was to watch, a person with a good eye would've noticed that the scene contradicted itself.

First he uses his sword to block the fin swing with sword's sharp edge facing the fin. I'll give it to Raiden that his legs were strong enough to bend under the immense pressure of obviously tons of force pushing down on him and I'll just assume his sword is made out of a metal that's strong enough not to break under said force, but the ground underneath Raiden's feet is another matter. It should have warped when the Metal Gear's wing collided with Raiden's sword but it didn't.Then, about 16 seconds later, despite the fact that it clearly couldn't do so when Raiden blocked the attack, his sword cuts cleanly through the fin with little trouble. Now, this isn't a question of strength but a question of the blade's sharpness. If it was sharp enough to cut through it when he swung, it should've been sharp enough to cut through the fin when he blocked it.

Of course, that stuff is really just nit- picking and is kind of negligible in the broad scheme of things but when Raiden lifts up the entire robot by just the tip of its fin, physics kind of took a dump on itself.

Let me explain, assuming that he has the strength to lift up the robot, all he would've done was rip off the tip of the fin he was holding or, at the most, the whole thing. If not him, then the force of its own weight would've crushed it when he lifted it up.

I'm going to stop here because this is enough already.

IncarnatedDemon

Either crack, break, or simply form a dent.
I don't think it's like that because they didn't want to include it. I believe its like that because they had other priorities.
I rather not go look up the quotes, but i hope you put your trust in what i am about to say now: PG had restricted time to develop the game.
There was other things neglected as well for compromise sake.

The crazy demon

Metal Gear Vindicare.
Well, if enviorament destruction was fully possible during the gameplay of that game it would have changed a lot, for example RAY in that fight uses a particle-something beam, that should have desintegrated the floor rather than just making a big dustcloud.

Raiden stopping RAY's blade is of course weird, but then again action usually stomps over physics.

Railazel

I don't think it's like that because they didn't want to include it. I believe its like that because they had other priorities.
I rather not go look up the quotes, but i hope you put your trust in what i am about to say now: PG had restricted time to develop the game.
There was other things neglected as well for compromise sake.

I see, that makes sense.

Raiden stopping RAY's blade is of course weird, but then again action usually stomps over physics.

That's the point of the thread- to point out how weird physics in video games can get.

IncarnatedDemon

Plus you have to take into consideration that H&S has other priorities than the graphics or cutscenes. That's also a factor, especially in first games of a serie.

Railazel

Plus you have to take into consideration that H&S has other priorities than the graphics or cutscenes. That's also a factor, especially in first games of a serie.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect every single detail to be placed in the game. In fact, I rather enjoy the fact that stuff like this gets ignored so I can talk about what should have happened as opposed to what actually did happen. Keeps me busy.

IncarnatedDemon

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect every single detail to be placed in the game. In fact, I rather enjoy the fact that stuff like this gets ignored so I can talk about what should have happened as opposed to what actually did happen. Keeps me busy.
It's fine, i am just sharing with you the factors that may have influenced the outcome :)

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I think the reason that Raiden didn't cut right through the fin the first time is because his HF blade was stopped by the RAY's own HF blade, but once he got on top his own sword was no longer facing any interference, so it cut through the fin, blade included, with ease.

Just my two cents. I can be as nitpicky as you. :p

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
It's fine, i am just sharing with you the factors that may have influenced the outcome :)

Perhaps PG never really gave a damn. I mean its not like another of their other games really always depict physics and the factors of physics realistically one being Bayonetta and Vanquish.

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
Well, did you read through the optional Codecs in the game? There are a lot of pseudo-scientific explanations for things like the HF Blade not cutting everything at one slash, and the difference in the tecnology of Raiden's muscle-fiber's and the one from Ray. It's actually interesting, and in case is boring to go trough it in the game, the Metal Gear Wikia has all those codecs in text somewere in their site. It's a really good read.

For example, the reason why there are parts of the enviroment Raiden just can't cut during gameplay is due to a "directive" Boris gives him in codec.
There is also a really nice explanation about the politcs behind small UG's, Cyborgs, and huge robots like the Metal Gear Exelsus and their use in the battlefield. A lot of information in those optional codecs.

Top Bottom