• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

**Vergil's Comeback**

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
:\
I didn't know whether to post this here or in the DMC5 thread, as it's a theory I have revolving around DMC4, which could possibly indicate what to expect in DMC5. Really, I thought I would have run out of steam trying to figure out WHAT THE HELL Capcom has put in between the lines, so to speak, but alas, I was wrong!!

Since I'm playing the game from Devil Hunter mode, I've been subjected to actually pay attention to what goes on in the cutscenes instead of fangirling over the graphics and moves and all. And since everyone was once again voting for Vergil to have his own game next, that idea was nagging in the back of my mind while I was playing and

!!!KABAM!!!

Something clicked in my head.

1.) First scene after Dante and Nero face off, Kyrie and Credo meets up with Nero in the cathedral. Nero assembles Red Queen and jests "the guy just came from hell"

Question 1 - HOW does he know Dante just came from hell?
You might think he just assumed that Dante was the son of Sparda (keep up with me here)

but I'm betting you assume WRONG - because Nero had no clue who Dante really was -

and you're RIGHT too - because how many people out there know Sparda had more than one son? Uh, Lady, Trish...the Order.

Nero was a lone wolf, which means the Order didn't fully trust him with that valuable information.

2.) Scene where Nero, in his search to find Dante, comes upon a study room lined with books, where he kills the first angelo and catches on that something fishy is up with the Order. Quote Nero "Didn't figure the guy for a bookworm"

Question 2 - WHY did he track him down to the study then? Perhaps a case of mistaken identity? I think so! Vergil was the one who digged into his books - Dante isn't much of a reader, as proven in the anime Trish is his appointed secretary/researcher. Maybe Nero got the trails left behind by Dante mixed up with the trails that Vergil had left behind (which might actually make Deadly Fortune canon :O)

3.) Scene where Nero faces Credo for the big fight (which is the stage I'm at right now and where I had this epiphany) Nero demands "And who the hell is Dante?"

Question 1 explanation - Guy just came from hell - Vergil. There is no way Nero could have known Dante was in hell at all, but he DID know Vergil had been in hell. How? Well where do you think they got Yamato from? They had to train KNIGHTS because they knew sooner or later, one or the other brother was going to come after them. But Vergil's dead, you say? Right, but who was the last person to wield that katana? Vergil. I figure Nero mistook Dante for Vergil(them being twins and all), and therefore asked no questions about who it is he's meant to take down. What convinces me this is the case is that, considering Nero asks way too many questions about EVERYTHING during the game, the ONE thing he doesn't ask is 'WHO is this guy that I'm meant to capture?' Point 3 also reinforces this theory.

I'll be keeping my mind open to any more hints (well I think they're hints, little secret messages planted in the game to prep for what may come next - gimme my kudos for figuring you out Kobayashi!!!) as I play the game through and post my insane theories on here.

But, just those little things scream a loud VERGIL'S COMING BACK to me. And I'm not saying that because I'm a big fangirl of Vergil (I like for worthy villains who died to stay dead, including ol' Verge), these are just the conclusions I've come to.

Any flames at my theory? Poke holes in it if you can. Has anybody else picked up on these things at all?

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
1.) First scene after Dante and Nero face off, Kyrie and Credo meets up with Nero in the cathedral. Nero assembles Red Queen and jests "the guy just came from hell"

You might think he just assumed that Dante was the son of Sparda (keep up with me here)

but I'm betting you assume WRONG - because Nero had no clue who Dante really was -

and you're RIGHT too - because how many people out there know Sparda had more than one son? Uh, Lady, Trish...the Order.

Nero was a lone wolf, which means the Order didn't fully trust him with that valuable information.

It is probably Nero's sarcasm. Nero is known for his foul-mouth and swearing in DMC4. Even Agnus acknowledges it when they first meet in a lab with Yamato, which is called 'hellhole' by Nero. He is rebellious as Dante in DMC3, except that he swears a lot, and even used the middle finger on Dante. One of possible reason he said that Dante came from hell is that Dante has superb capabilities, like killing several members of the Order of the Sword who turned demons easily, barely phased by Nero attacks, and came out alive even when he is impaled by his own Rebellion. Nero doesn't even know about Dante until he was told by Sanctus, or whether the fact that he is a Son of Sparda, but that is just my opinion.

2.) Scene where Nero, in his search to find Dante, comes upon a study room lined with books, where he kills the first angelo and catches on that something fishy is up with the Order. Quote Nero "Didn't figure the guy for a bookworm"

Question 2 - WHY did he track him down to the study then? Perhaps a case of mistaken identity? I think so! Vergil was the one who digged into his books - Dante isn't much of a reader, as proven in the anime Trish is his appointed secretary/researcher. Maybe Nero got the trails left behind by Dante mixed up with the trails that Vergil had left behind (which might actually make Deadly Fortune canon :O)

If Nero didn't track Dante to the study, he won't be able to get the Anima Mercury, then he won't able to get to use the Gyro Blades in the castle, and finally stops his progress of tracking in Dante. Unless there are other sources of Anima Mercury, the library is the only place has it and Nero needs it to find Dante. And Nero is searching the castle for Dante, so he must be searching areas where Dante could be located at.
It could be anyone who read the books. It could be Dante, Agnus or someone else. It is not clear that who he is referring too, but chances are it could be Dante. Vergil is possible too, but I don't hold out that the DMC4 novels are canon, as they are not consistent as the game. If there are magazines like Ultimania which explains everything about Devil May Cry, I will take that as canon material instead of the novels, until they are approved by Capcom company itself, not by a single Capcom staff.
3.) Scene where Nero faces Credo for the big fight (which is the stage I'm at right now and where I had this epiphany) Nero demands "And who the hell is Dante?"

Question 1 explanation - Guy just came from hell - Vergil. There is no way Nero could have known Dante was in hell at all, but he DID know Vergil had been in hell. How? Well where do you think they got Yamato from? They had to train KNIGHTS because they knew sooner or later, one or the other brother was going to come after them. But Vergil's dead, you say? Right, but who was the last person to wield that katana? Vergil. I figure Nero mistook Dante for Vergil(them being twins and all), and therefore asked no questions about who it is he's meant to take down. What convinces me this is the case is that, considering Nero asks way too many questions about EVERYTHING during the game, the ONE thing he doesn't ask is 'WHO is this guy that I'm meant to capture?' Point 3 also reinforces this theory.

Since when Nero knew about Vergil? No explanation is given about that, unless it is said in the Deadly Fortune novels, which I don't take it as canon. The line "And who the hell is Dante!?" possibly refers as to why Nero needs to track Dante. For killing Sanctus, obviously. But the way Agnus spoke of Dante as if he knows about Dante made Nero suspects and made him to question Credo about Dante.

Good theory, but not all I agree of.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
when he said the guy just came from hell, he was meaning Dante....the whole time Nero was chasing Dante and trying to figure out who he was, he thought Dante was a full blooded demon...not someone who was raised on earth but something from hell....Nero believed Dante opened the hellgates and led the demons to attack Fortuna

dvlsnvrcry432

clairavance;201816 said:

You might think he just assumed that Dante was the son of Sparda

In the first few cutscenes where Nero is fighting Dante, Nero throws Rebellion at Dante which stabs him in the chest and pins him to Sparda's statue, appearing dead. But when Nero was about to walk away, Dante said, "Getting better..." Then he pushed himself away from the statue and pulled out his sword, showing that he was still alive. This let Nero know that Dante was not human at all.

dvlsnvrcry432

clairavance;201816 said:

Nero demands about Dante because Agnus told him about Dante. That's where Nero says, "Dante? You mean the man who killed His Holiness?" He knew Dante's name and knew that Dante wasn't human but wanted to know who he was exactly and why he was so important.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
darkslayer13;210100 said:
i don't think anyone wants them to mess up the real question is will they.

My guess is yes they will and thats why I don't want it done. This seems like one of those things where everyone wants it but once they finally get they will suddenly realise it shouldn't have been done. Vergil is never going to be as cool as he was in DMC3, his comeback is never going to make 100% sense under Mundus' rules unless he comes back as a ghost in Nero and im sure that will trigger the above reaction as it wouldn't REALLY be Vergil like Liquid Ocelot wasn't REALLY Liquid.

Top Bottom