• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil Gave His Clothes Away

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
dlc_ishida.png

Its not like he is going to need them right now considering the situation his series is currently in. He is just letting him borrow them. So right now Vergil running around naked while some guy in feudal Japan is wearing his outfit.

For a better, more detailed view: http://www.capcom.co.jp/basara4/dlc.html

Capcom: The fans want a new DMC game? Put a Vergil costume on one of the characters of our current upcoming hack and slash game. The closest thing to a DMC game we'll probably ever do.

Also, for the sake of the "naked Vergil" joke I tried to find a picture about it but instantly gave up after seeing what images you can find if google "naked vergil".

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I knew it! I knew ONE day they were gonna do this.

Now all I need is Masamune to wear Dante's clothes and I'll call him Masamune Dante.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
the blue character plays a lot like a super amped up vergil. Lots of teleporting, lots of stylized iaido, lots of judgement cuts and god slashes. The red guy doesn't play particularly like dante, but he's pretty insane and has dante's voice actor and personality

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
the blue character plays a lot like a super amped up vergil. Lots of teleporting, lots of stylized iaido, lots of judgement cuts and god slashes. The red guy doesn't play particularly like dante, but he's pretty insane and has dante's voice actor and personality

Mitsunari is purple not blue. And Masamune is blue not red. Mitsunari just has DLC while Masamune had a modd.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Eh. This series is just a Dynasty Warriors clone and that's not a good thing. When I played Sengoku Basara I muted my TV because the constant talking annoyed the sh!t out of me amongst the repetitive gameplay and eventually I was just......
giphy.gif

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
The first sengoku basara game to come to the west was called Devil Kings

Yup, because despite having like five games about Chinese history in Dynasty Warriors, it didn't prepare use for the idea of playing a game about Japanese history...so they changed it up and made it about demons.

I remember playing it, and really liking it, but going "What the hell does this have to do with demons...?" It's like they just changed the title, but nothing else to accommodate for it.

It'd be like if Godhand got retitled as "Doomsday Dickpunch" in the West because we can't handle such religious subtext in our action titles. Although...I would have been okay with that.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Yup, because despite having like five games about Chinese history in Dynasty Warriors, it didn't prepare use for the idea of playing a game about Japanese history...so they changed it up and made it about demons.

I remember playing it, and really liking it, but going "What the hell does this have to do with demons...?" It's like they just changed the title, but nothing else to accommodate for it.

It'd be like if Godhand got retitled as "Doomsday Dickpunch" in the West because we can't handle such religious subtext in our action titles. Although...I would have been okay with that.

Well Samurai Warriors which was about Japanese history already came out before Sengoku Basara did.

Capcom wanted profitable sales in the west (since Japan was liking the series) so Kobayashi thought it would be a great idea and alter the series in the west and make it very similar to the DMC series (just look at the font of the title) in tone and style.

As for the title and demons, later games included demons such as Nobunaga dying, becomes king of hell, and is resurrected in SB3 as well as his sister Oichi who is possessed by demons and fights using them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29gpogX3yy8

Now as for the exact game and the changes it went through in the west as Devil Kings, outside name changes from their original Japanese names to simple names (because Americans have low attention spans......I would mock Capcom for thinking lowly of westerners but I'm not sure about Europe but many Americans especially gamers during the PS2 era, and even now, are kind of like that unless if Capcom wanted to aim for a niche or anime oriented crowd but no they were aiming for the same crowd that bought DMC) such as Yukimura Sanada to Scorpio or Ieyasu Tokugawa to....Irdine. Locations got name changes as well from the actual historical location's name to generic names.

The only story detail that was changed was Nobunaga or better yet Devil King. In the original Japanese version he was just some powerful warlord with the title of Demon King but he was just some really uber magician whereas the English version Devil King was a warlord who sold his soul to the devil for power and he is considered the Devil or better yet Satan. The original Japanese version there was no devil and selling of souls he just somehow became the king of hell after dying in SB3. Then there was the backstory behind the game. In game in Japanese focused on the history Sengoku era pretty much while Devil Kings using the same framework just threw another skin on it and the whole war was for world domination and not just one small island country.

Then there is marketing the game in Japan marketed Masamune and Yukimura (mostly Masamune well nowadays that is) as the main characters or posterboy characters whereas the English version Devil Kings marketed Nobunaga as the main character or main posterboy character.
Sengoku_Basara-image.jpg
Devil_Kings.jpg

Its kind of like if Capcom brought Street Fighter to the west with Guile being marketed as the main/iconic character instead of Ryu because "MURICA!"

Top Bottom