• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vanilla DmC Sales Report

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
Never thought I'd be making another update; time to kick these cobwebs off the DmC thread!
Recently Capcom has updated their Platinum Titles webpage, now including sales of units as of the end of June 2016.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

And what do you know, the regular version of DmC bumped by a 100K Units Sold (from 1.7 to 1.8 Million)!
Pretty impressive as its been a year since Definitive Edition's release, perhaps a slight push from the PC-base?
Why not finally port DE to PC now, Capcom? (Ahh, a guy can dream.)

Mind you, these listing do not included units sold via humble bundles nor subscribed services such as monthly PSN Free Games and Xbox's Games With Gold.

Goldsickle

Pretty impressive as its been a year since Definitive Edition's release, perhaps a slight push from the PC-base?
Not really, as the list stated, the sales are from the PS3 & X360 version, plus their respective online services.

The reason why games are selling a lot easier today is probably mostly due to digital copies.

You no longer have to hunt for any remaining copies in stores and you don't have to cough up more dough than necessary for people who resell games in eBay for a higher price.

Digital copies of games also gets companies far more profit than physical copies.

Sesha

Never thought I'd be making another update; time to kick these cobwebs off the DmC thread!
Recently Capcom has updated their Platinum Titles webpage, now including sales of units as of the end of June 2016.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

And what do you know, the regular version of DmC bumped by a 100K Units Sold (from 1.7 to 1.8 Million)!
Why not finally port DE to PC now, Capcom? (Ahh, a guy can dream.)

Mind you, these listing do not included units sold via humble bundles nor subscribed services such as monthly PSN Free Games and Xbox's Games With Gold.

I'm starting to wonder if Capcom is counting activated Humble Bundle Steam codes as part of that, because the bump from 1.6 to 1.7 happened after the previous Capcom bundle. Might just have been a coincidence.

Also, regarding DmC DE for PC. I asked a Capcom rep about that on NeoGAF, and this was his reply:

Sadly, it's unlikely to happen due to cost implications (high cost vs. potential revenue/recoup) and dev resource constraints.

Not really, as the list stated, the sales are from the PS3 & X360 version, plus their respective online services.

The reason why games are selling a lot easier today is probably mostly due to digital copies.

You no longer have to hunt for any remaining copies in stores and you don't have to cough up more dough than necessary for people who resell games in eBay for a higher price.

Digital copies of games also gets companies far more profit than physical copies.

"Downloads" in this case include PC sales. Physical as well as directly via Steam.

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
I'm starting to wonder if Capcom is counting activated Humble Bundle Steam codes as part of that, because the bump from 1.6 to 1.7 happened after the previous Capcom bundle. Might just have been a coincidence.

Also, regarding DmC DE for PC. I asked a Capcom rep about that on NeoGAF, and this was his reply:
I wondered myself; but I checked the fiscal updated during the first bundle (which I believe sold 200K bundles) and did not notice any relative change.

@Sesha beat me to it, but DmC has "DL" in its platform section:
"DL (Full-game download) includes PlayStation®Network, Xbox Live, Wii Ware and all digital download units
on Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and PC etc."

I agree with your thoughts that Digital Sales are indeed the key reason for this bump; Physical Sales for DmC have long past ended in relevance.

Goldsickle

"Downloads" in this case include PC sales. Physical as well as directly via Steam.
If the sales includes the PC version, they will specify it in the list of platforms (for example, look at RE: Revelations 2 or the RE Remaster).

"PC" is not seen in DmC's sales in the list, therefore the sales are only of PS3 & X360.

Sesha

If the sales includes the PC version, they will specify it in the list of platforms (for example, look at RE: Revelations 2 or the RE Remaster).

Strange, there is no seperate category named for PC in the legend at the bottom of the page. The only explanation I have is that because DmC on PC was released a few days after the console versions in all regions, it's counted as a separate SKU.

However you're wrong that the sales are only PS360. DL includes all digital sales, including PC.

Goldsickle

However you're wrong that the sales are only PS360. DL includes all digital sales, including PC.
"DL" does not automatically encompass the PC version.
If you see both "DL" & "PC", then that's a different story (e.g. Resident Evil Revelations 2, Street Fighter V, Remember Me, etc.).

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
"DL" does not automatically encompass the PC version.
If you see both "DL" & "PC", then that's a different story (e.g. Resident Evil Revelations 2, Street Fighter V, Remember Me, etc.).

I'm going to have to apologies, as I had assumed what "DL" meant. Its a odd subject, Capcom early on was spotty with including "PC" the platform section. Why aren't Resident Evil 5,6, Vanilla & Super Street Fighter 4 (aswell as others) listed with "PC"? These some/the biggest titles of the last console generation.

Back in the September 2013 Update, they started using the "DL" platform label. And judging by the titles that updated (which also gained a substantial bump in unit sales) with said label, it looked to me like "DL" was a catch-all for any digital unit sold for said title/release:

June 2013:
http://web.archive.org/web/20131020055958/http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

September 2013:
http://web.archive.org/web/20131104124626/http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Take a look at DMC3 SE (which only began listing on the September update): Platforms listed are "PS2" and "DL" only. Obviously a bit contradictory if we are going by "DL" meaning only digital sales from listed platforms; unless it includes digital sales from PC (and possibly PS3, if the sales of that version isn't already consolidated with the HD trilogy).

I've been following DmC's sales, and post physical unit motivation, the bumps in units sold for DmC in the Platinum Titles are rather close to their respective Steam units sold. In fact, cut 500K (Roughly the number DmC has legitimately sold on Steam) and you'll get 1.3 Mil. That number is rather close to the projected 1.2 Mil' physical copies shipped and also (take this with a grain of salt) close to the combined physical sales of both PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of DmC on VGChartz.

Last edited:

Goldsickle

I've been following DmC's sales, and post physical unit motivation, the bumps in units sold for DmC in the Platinum Titles are rather close to their respective Steam units sold. In fact, cut 500K (Roughly the number DmC has legitimately sold on Steam) and you'll get 1.3 Mil. That number is rather close the projected 1.2 Mil' physical copies shipped and also (take this with a grain of salt) close to the combined physical sales of both PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of DmC on VGChartz.
If you have any doubts, you can bring it to Capcom themselves.

An Investor Relations page is serious business, where if they present false information, it could tear the company apart with a lawsuit.

If "PC" is not in the list, then the sales of DmC in that page does not include the PC version.
That's that.

That "DL" thing on DMC3SE's sales still boggles me, though.
I wanted to ask about it on Capcom Unity but they'll probably take a decade to answer.

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
That "DL" thing on DMC3SE's sales still boggles me, though.
I wanted to ask about it on Capcom Unity but they'll probably take a decade to answer.
If you do, keep us posted. Its a curious subject and I'd like to hear a response as well.

Top Bottom