• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Tony Redgrave; or Do you accept the novels as cannon?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think you can incorporate it into the main canon since you dont really know what happened in Dante's life before DMC3.

They do gave you a prequel but it tells you nothing of importance other than Dante and vergil grew up seperate.

so you could just fit it in before DMC3.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
to be fair, Dante/Vergil's ages weren't given in 3. So he could have easily been 23 instead 19.

but i dont think his age was given in the light novels or anything else besides 1.

Chances are you can keep it within continuity but that raises the question of where it falls. Easiest thing is to keep after 3 given Vergil was under the thrall of mundus.

berto

I Saw the Devil
A long long time ago I saw a post on the IGN forum. It had to do with Tony Redgrave, the gunsmith. It was a translation off a box that was from a Japanese replica of the guns.

Before the novels there was a cannon story behind the name Tony Redgrave. The novel was a contradiction to it but Tony (after tehy changed the Protagonist from Tony to Dante but not the name on the guns) was a seperate person form Dante onthe story the gun package had.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
I kinda accept any and all of the novels/manga/game/anime stories, though with some alterations in my mind so that they won't contradict each other.

So I knew Tony Redgrave was the protagonist in the original RE4, that instead became Dante, and the game changed to DMC1, but he was a gunsmith too?

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I kinda accept any and all of the novels/manga/game/anime stories, though with some alterations in my mind so that they won't contradict each other.

So I knew Tony Redgrave was the protagonist in the original RE4, that instead became Dante, and the game changed to DMC1, but he was a gunsmith too?
i remember that a chick was the gunsmith and she made Tony the guns, ebony and ivory, because he would always complain about his guns breaking she dies when Gilver sets an explosive or something and before she dies she gives Tony the guns

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
i remember that a chick was the gunsmith and she made Tony the guns, ebony and ivory, because he would always complain about his guns breaking she dies when Gilver sets an explosive or something and before she dies she gives Tony the guns

I know that too. Berto's post seems to imply he knows of a different version of the story and the name though.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I know that too. Berto's post seems to imply he knows of a different version of the story and the name though.
hmmm he might be mistaking it i know alot about DMC and RE development and the novels as well and the only mention of a gunsmith was in the novel :/

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
hmmm he might be mistaking it i know alot about DMC and RE development and the novels as well and the only mention of a gunsmith was in the novel :/

Well, the story he mentioned seems to be before the novels, but somehow still associated with them.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
i think he was mentioning a unused idea for dmc1 because in the early days tony redgraves was the name of dante's partner or ally. In later drafts and the novel, it seems Dante and tony redgrave were merged into one person.

I think the novel was made after 1 or during 1's development so its story was made separate. i think it was written with kamiya's input but not written by kamiya himself.

It does present Dante as a mercenary which seems like a likely career path for Dante growing up. Somehow i dont see him as a cop or soldier.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
i think he was mentioning a unused idea for dmc1 because in the early days tony redgraves was the name of dante's partner or ally. In later drafts and the novel, it seems Dante and tony redgrave were merged into one person.

I think the novel was made after 1 or during 1's development so its story was made separate. i think it was written with kamiya's input but not written by kamiya himself.

It does present Dante as a mercenary which seems like a likely career path for Dante growing up. Somehow i dont see him as a cop or soldier.
an original idea for RE4 was a man named tony who was a cop who had supernatural powers checking out a castle this idea was to (action oriented) so Kamiya wanted to make a new game based on that idea instead of scrapping it so tony became dante and that build of RE4 became DMC1

berto

I Saw the Devil
After all the things DMC1 related that I've brought to this forum and I'm douthed? You wound me! Your words bring sadness and tears to my wounded heart.

No, I don't remember this wrong. This is what was inscrived on the box that came with the replicas for Evony & Ivory:

The History of Ivory & Ebony
After the Legendary Dark Knight Sparda sealed the demons of the underworld into the abyss, he entered the realm of mortals. He fell in love with a beautiful woman, Eva and had two twin sons - Dante and Virgil.

Fearing that the world would someday fall under the shroud of darkness once again, Sparda began to prepare for a future battle in this world against the legions of the underworld. He created two handguns, Luce & Ombra [{Lu-chay} Italian for " Light" and Ombra, {sometimes spelled Umbra} Latin for " Shadow"] with which to repel the demons and a fine sword to which he gave the name " Force Edge".

Now in the modern age, a new hunter of demons has arisen to protect humanity from the curse and corruption that is the underworld and it´s inhabitants. His name is Dante and his is a most unenviable task - to rid the world of all demons.

And then came the story of the guns
Not in the history of the world, were there ever a finer set of weapons. Not ever. Dante had taken the Force Edge and Luce & Ombra from his Father many years ago. He needed to upgrade his father´s handguns to a level so high, that none could stand before them when they began to cast their judgement on the demons before them. It is this task, that Dante entrusted to his old friend and skilled craftsman, Tony Redgrave. After 2 years of work, the guns were at last, ready to purge the underworld of it´s evil.

One blessed with the divinity of Heaven and the other cursed with the fires of Hell, the balance of these weapons was to be kept in harmony with the balance of good and evil. When one is fired, if the other is shot right after, there will be no pause for reloading - as the balance is kept that the wicked shall suffer the righteous judgement.

Tony then placed upon the handles two images emblazoned onto each: Ivory - with it´s Heavens breach shall bear the visage of Eva, Dante´s mother and the guiding light for righteous judgement and purity. Ebony - with it´s black chamber shall bear the visage of Beatrice, who quells the evil soul within it and allows it to work in tandem with Ivory.

Dante was so pleased with Tony´s work that he had a dedication engraved to him on each of the guns - " For Tony Redgrave - . 45 Art Works"

For more on Evony & Ivory here is a little info:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/devil/technique/vol002.html

It talks about the design of the guns and how they were meant to look like piano keys, black & white. They mention Stevie Wonder on the piano and Paul McCarthy.

And so, with great humility and no sence of pride or superiorety, I say on to you:
tumblr_m4qyqve9Up1ql03r9o1_400.jpg

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
After all the things DMC1 related that I've brought to this forum and I'm douthed? You wound me! Your words bring sadness and tears to my wounded heart.

No, I don't remember this wrong. This is what was inscrived on the box that came with the replicas for Evony & Ivory:

The History of Ivory & Ebony
After the Legendary Dark Knight Sparda sealed the demons of the underworld into the abyss, he entered the realm of mortals. He fell in love with a beautiful woman, Eva and had two twin sons - Dante and Virgil.

Fearing that the world would someday fall under the shroud of darkness once again, Sparda began to prepare for a future battle in this world against the legions of the underworld. He created two handguns, Luce & Ombra [{Lu-chay} Italian for " Light" and Ombra, {sometimes spelled Umbra} Latin for " Shadow"] with which to repel the demons and a fine sword to which he gave the name " Force Edge".

Now in the modern age, a new hunter of demons has arisen to protect humanity from the curse and corruption that is the underworld and it´s inhabitants. His name is Dante and his is a most unenviable task - to rid the world of all demons.

And then came the story of the guns
Not in the history of the world, were there ever a finer set of weapons. Not ever. Dante had taken the Force Edge and Luce & Ombra from his Father many years ago. He needed to upgrade his father´s handguns to a level so high, that none could stand before them when they began to cast their judgement on the demons before them. It is this task, that Dante entrusted to his old friend and skilled craftsman, Tony Redgrave. After 2 years of work, the guns were at last, ready to purge the underworld of it´s evil.

One blessed with the divinity of Heaven and the other cursed with the fires of Hell, the balance of these weapons was to be kept in harmony with the balance of good and evil. When one is fired, if the other is shot right after, there will be no pause for reloading - as the balance is kept that the wicked shall suffer the righteous judgement.

Tony then placed upon the handles two images emblazoned onto each: Ivory - with it´s Heavens breach shall bear the visage of Eva, Dante´s mother and the guiding light for righteous judgement and purity. Ebony - with it´s black chamber shall bear the visage of Beatrice, who quells the evil soul within it and allows it to work in tandem with Ivory.

Dante was so pleased with Tony´s work that he had a dedication engraved to him on each of the guns - " For Tony Redgrave - . 45 Art Works"

For more on Evony & Ivory here is a little info:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/devil/technique/vol002.html

It talks about the design of the guns and how they were meant to look like piano keys, black & white. They mention Stevie Wonder on the piano and Paul McCarthy.

And so, with great humility and no sence of pride or superiorety, I say on to you:
3701978+_f3040e4b04f196e34784cb5f8b31ed2d.jpg
my good sir it seems that i was lead astray by your comment i thought that you meant dante as tony redgrave was the gunsmith put in fact they were to different people you have deepest apologies

Top Bottom