• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The story of Dante

IncarnatedDemon

This song and what you will see eventually as it plays makes you wonder, "What if Capcom had not made the mistake of letting a different team work on DMC 2...".

Anyway from the beginning to the end - Dante's story was heavily focused around his mother, Eva.

AT BEGINNING Dante talks about getting back at who killed his mother, and then he reacts to Trish resembling Eva.

Later on Dante grabs his amulet (given to him by Eva) after Mundus kills Griffon.

Dante also tells Trish that he is sure it was Mundus who killed his mother.

After defeating Nelo, Dante recalls a memory of him, his mother and Vergil on their birthday.

Even though Trish betrayed Dante, Dante didn't hesitate when Trish was in danger. After saving Trish Dante told Trish that she was an empty shell compared to his mother.

When battle with Mundus begins, Dante asks Mundus why he killed his mother. Mundus says he can create as many mothers as he wants and ...

When he returns to Trish's body he mentions that Eva risked her life for him

After Mundus appears again Dante has a hard time keeping up, but then he hears a voice, voice of his mother speaking to him, a voice that fills Dante with the will to not give up. And then Trish appears.

And then there is the credits ending that i linked to at very beginning.

So as you can see - DMC 1 had a consistent plot from beginning to end. A story about a man who is out to avenge the loss of his mother.

Very nice story , pity that Capcom had to be such fool and let a other team make DMC 2.

berto

I Saw the Devil
The story is a bit more complicated than that. Back in 2001 most games didn't make the focus of the story that strong. RPGs and a few other games had more budget to explore the story but DMC didn't make that much of a cutsene effort. The story in this game, however is not as shallow as they present.

I know this because the Sound DVD explores the world and Dante much more than the game did. If you read the text you'll see that there is more going on than the game leads on, they just didn't put much effort, or money, to making that story more obvious and present in the game. I guess that just wasn't dune as much those days.

Example:

It was then that Dante first realized something.
Why did his father who was evil decide to protect
the world of man? Why did he decide to stand up
alone against all the dark forces? Seeing the form
of Trish who had protected him just as his mother
had and who had her same looks, Dante finally
understood. It was not just a fight for revenge.
He had lost someone he loved, and he fought so as to
make certain that such a tragedy would never happen
again. He had to protect and save her. This was the
true purpose of his battle

This tells us that Dante didn't really understand his father and he always wondered about his actions. It also tells us that Dante, despite his aggressive stance and eagerness to swear to his name, it wasn't blind adoration, he wondered about his father and his nature.

This might also mean that Sparda was, in fact, evil, as demons and devils tend to be, before he became a pinnacle of justice and kind ruler of men.

These are the things that plague Dante, and that's only on the subject of his father.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
But I'm still curious as to why Sparda chose Eva? and better yet, why would a demon, who has no human empathy for other species, sudeenly care about humans out of the blue? and then there's Eva; what made Eva so special out of all the other human women on earth to be with a demon legened. What did Eva do to make her special and bare kids with her?

IncarnatedDemon

I am not saying that DMC 1 story was a master piece. But the feeling of the plot is a story about love and grief and that's something beautiful.
And we've talked about how inconsistent DMC story line is like, but DMC 1 was pretty consistent with what the story was about, even til the end.

Also when listened to Eva's theme, i can't help but get very emotional:

Such beautiful song, about two "seeds" (Dante and Vergil). Ive listened to it so many times and i still dont get tired of it.

berto

I Saw the Devil
But I'm still curious as to why Sparda chose Eva? and better yet, why would a demon, who has no human empathy for other species, sudeenly care about humans out of the blue? and then there's Eva; what made Eva so special out of all the other human women on earth to be with a demon legened. What did Eva do to make her special and bare kids with her?

Like I said, these are all things that Dante is wondering himself. He seems to have been confused about the same things, his father's intentions and reasons, and eventually understood when confronted to the events of DMC1 and Trish.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I think that DMC has a deep meaning when it comes to morality, good and evil, the sacrifices that are required to reach something; i think that the very story of Sparda is a story about a quest for "redemption", and i think that Devil May Cry is more about "Sparda's Legacy" than "Dante's life", besides this title "Devil May Cry" could refer even to Sparda himself? And if Sparda was the "first" demon to cry? We don't really know what were Kamiya plans to this, we can even say that he had no plans at all. As the quote Berto posted here says, Sparda probably was an evil demon like any other demons we've met along that series, for some reason we don't know (even Dante don't know for sure) for sure he suddenly decide to betray his own kin in order to save the humans, why?

I think that all that he did after betraying the demons and the very reason for him to betray them was a way to say "thank you" to mankind from what he learned from them, the very "humanity" that Dante talks a lot is that thing i believe humans teached to Sparda; he decided to betray his own kin, sacrifice his own powers, live and die just as a "weak human" (as Vergil would say) just to "embrace" these things that humans teached him and try live by them (at least for a while), i see his story as one of sacrifices and a "quest for redemption", he was a probably trying to "balance" for what he did as a demon, i can even see his suddenly disappearence as a one way to punish himself and to say: "I'm not worthy that things i've learned and received from them (refering to happiness itself, even about his two sons and all the things that had given a meaning to his life)", we could make a comparison here with Kenshin Himura from Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X), he was in the same kind of dilema: he believed he was not worthy redemption or happiness for what he did in the past, so he lived the rest of his life trying to protect those that his sword could reach, and at least trying to "balance" the bad things he had done in the past. I see Sparda the same way i see Kenshin Himura.

IncarnatedDemon

Maybe Eva treated Sparda from a wound? How it came to be so, i don't know but just a suggestion.

If Sparda had power to seal the portals between human and demon world, maybe he had portal abilities?

Assume that Sparda was fighting other demons who opposed Mundus (a demonic war happening in other words) , demons that were against Mundus, and Sparda fought against one or more of them, and he ended up getting wounded.
To save himself from being killed, he teleported out of demon world.

His teleportation then led him to a random destination in human world. To the building Eva lived in.
There maybe Eva had made a "gate" that allowed travel to and between demon and human world because Eva looks like someone whos into spirits, ghosts and other stuff like that.
Eva would then find Sparda laying on ground, wounded, and she either took a concious decision to save this demon (knowing what he was) or she had no idea that what was before her was a evil being.

She would then heal Sparda. And eventually Sparda recovered and returned to demon world. By then Mundus's power had gained hold of demon world, and Mundus later tells Sparda "This is just the beginning, in time we will take controll of human world as well".

The periode after what Mundus said to Sparda would be a periode where Sparda SOMEHOW grows a soul. Like sometimes when something happens even though we can't explain it. He may have thought of "That petty human saved me when i was on verge of death. Why did she do that?". These thoughts would eventually make something happen inside of Sparda, and he would grow a soul.

And later on he rebelled against Mundus.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Up to the "factual" thing, it could be really anything so far. I liked your suggestion, besides i thinking that portals are something "constructed" and not exactly a power The thing we sure know is: Sparda recognized his own humanity for some reason, besides it could be the same way we humans have thought about morality all the time, think about this: we have many, many philosophers that tried to think about morality, but no one came with an answer to us; but we know that it exists, and that there's some intuition that "tells us" what is good and what's evil, by far, many asian religions believes we can only experience the "Truth", but never come up with a rational take on that because of the limitations of the human being and this world by itself, the "Nirvana" is actually a concept of being "One with the Universe" or in other words "living the Truth, reaching the Truth"; this could be what motivated Kamiya seeing his Eastern roots and culture, i don't really know what this all means.

IncarnatedDemon

Looking at Eva's picture (in the frame), she looks like a woman who knows of demons or things like demons (ghosts). The red garment Eva is wearing plus the thought of "How could Eva of all other women, come to meet Sparda, a demon, it can't be coincedence".

And what is the marking on the floor? Was it there from before? Or was IT Dante who put it there? Or maybe it was a marking made by Eva?
Marking

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
there is no doubt in my mind that eva knew about demons (i personally believe that she was a devil hunter herself). but i doubt the pentagram was placed there by eva. that shop was renovated after DMC3 and dante must have put it there to protect from higher level demons in case of emergency

IncarnatedDemon

there is no doubt in my mind that eva knew about demons (i personally believe that she was a devil hunter herself). but i doubt the pentagram was placed there by eva. that shop was renovated after DMC3 and dante must have put it there to protect from higher level demons in case of emergency
dmc 3 is reboot + DMC 1 is kinda separate from DMC 3 in that Vergil in DMC 3 is not the same as in DMC 1.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
dmc 3 is reboot + DMC 1 is kinda separate from DMC 3 in that Vergil in DMC 3 is not the same as in DMC 1.

i still don't see how its a reboot. i see it as more of a relaunch of the franchise. and since the DMC anime borrows heavily from the first two games i would say that if it is a reboot, then its less like an ultimate marvel reboot but more of a 1980's DC comics reboot, where everything is the same, but the tone is different

IncarnatedDemon

i still don't see how its a reboot. i see it as more of a relaunch of the franchise. and since the DMC anime borrows heavily from the first two games i would say that if it is a reboot, then its less like an ultimate marvel reboot but more of a 1980's DC comics reboot, where everything is the same, but the tone is different

TGL: So what do you make of the new revised Ninja-Theory DMC?
RL: With regards to the new one, I don’t have any part in it, I haven’t been asked and I do believe that’s it probably too late in the game for me to come on board, even if they did ask me to voice or do any motion capture or anything like that. I believe that it’s a whole other different take on the character and casting and everything else just like 3. I’m not involved so I can’t say much but because I was involved in 3 and 4 I do know the history and that 3 was a reboot of the series. The new game is that as well. It may be a little more extreme or maybe not. I think people at the time when 3 came out were afraid of the changes and it proved to work in the end. What I would say about the new one is that maybe history might repeat itself.

Source

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014

damn. once again i've been proven wrong. not only that, i'm kinda shocked that DMC3 got the same initial response that DmC got. but anyway, if it is a reboot, then it did a great job. i just don't get why capcom didn't just say so and confuzzle us by putting "3" at the end of the title :/

IncarnatedDemon

damn. once again i've been proven wrong. not only that, i'm kinda shocked that DMC3 got the same initial response that DmC got. but anyway, if it is a reboot, then it did a great job. i just don't get why capcom didn't just say so and confuzzle us by putting "3" at the end of the title :/
Well your not only one who weren´t aware it was a reboot.

Top Bottom