• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Long Dark: A Survivor's "Perspective"

Which do you prefer?

• Long Dark

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Day Z

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
The Long Dark has no zombies, but is in many ways a far more deadly game that DayZ, and in regards to its approach to the dangers of surviving in the wild, a little more realistic.

In The Long Dark, you're dropped (literally) into a howling cold wilderness, having survived a plane crash after a freak electrical storm. When the game ships it will have a mystery story for you to solve, but for now, in pre-release, it's just a sandbox. The goal is to survive for as long as you can.

The Long Dark's emphasis is on the mundane aspects of survival: keeping warm, staying fed and resting. It is brutal in this regard. Just shivering in the cold will burn calories, as will walking, running or doing anything else. To tend to your body's needs, you will need to constantly expose yourself to the dangers of the wilderness. If you don't tend to them, you will die.

On my first play through of The Long Dark, I was in-game for only a few minutes before a howling storm made travel almost impossible, my core temperature dropped, my perception dulled and I died. Not a great start, but realistic.

On my next play through I made it a few days before starving to death. I'd discovered a seemingly well-supplied cabin along a lake. I was so in need of food, water and warmth, however, that I quickly depleted the cabin's stores nursing myself back to health and then had to venture back out to find more supplies.

On my third playthrough, I managed to explore almost every inch of the game world, discovered many useful, supply-filled structures, and then died of exposure in my sleep after succumbing to food poisoning and a busted ankle that had never healed. I lasted seven days, which, I think, was pretty realistic.

The wolves are what I remember most. There were a lot of them, and they were not afraid of man. On my last playthrough I found a hunting rifle, but only a few rounds of ammunition. I had at first thought to kill a deer, but decided to save the rounds for fending off wolves. Good call, as the wolves were everywhere. I ran out of bullets before I ran out of wolves.

I was walking along a railroad track when I encountered one I could not evade. He bared his teeth and inched toward me. I was out of bullets, but I had flares. I popped a flare and the wolf stopped short, confused by the wizardry of this two-legged beast who could summon fire. I inched toward the wolf, but he didn't move. So I threw that flare and the wolf went running, intimidated by the aggression of a strange beast.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...l-Do-Survival-Games-Feel-to-a-Real-Survivor.2

Top Bottom