• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Last of Us - Ellie's Swearing Montage

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
And you guys thought Dante cursed a lot, this girl's got a potty mouth on her too. I love the music they stuck over the top of it :lol:

Are there any other character swearing montages out there? I'm kinda curious to see if anybody else has done it.

IncarnatedDemon

Entertaining video lol.
Anyway as for why people complain about NTDante swearing, well because Dante doesnt swear.
It all goes back to Dante is/doesnt pattern.

Dante doesnt...
have black hair
smoke
curse alot (he barely does lol)

Dante is
Half demon half human
People complained about smoking, the hair colour and herritage change.

When you expect Dante...you expect Dante, that simple.
If Dmc 2 was given to a different company to develop, and the character was changed, then fans of reboot would go "I dont like this Dante, he isnt NTDante".

There are lots of characters that curse, the problem isn't cursing, hell i liked listening to Ellie curse.
It is what i said it is above in bold.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Entertaining video lol.
Anyway as for why people complain about NTDante swearing, well because Dante doesnt swear.
He does swear. He says something about being '****ed off' in the 4th game, and Langdon does the voice in the anime when Dante swears there too, even calling a guy 'pudgy f.uck'.

And here's a quote from the dmc wikia about it: 'In the animated series, Dante was shown to be one of the few characters in the Devil May Cry series to swear. Dante was frequently shown to be foul-mouthed, repeatedly swearing in almost every episode.'

IncarnatedDemon

He does swear. He says something about being '****ed off' in the 4th game, and Langdon does the voice in the anime when Dante swears there too, even calling a guy 'pudgy f.uck'.

And here's a quote from the dmc wikia about it: 'In the animated series, Dante was shown to be one of the few characters in the Devil May Cry series to swear. Dante was frequently shown to be foul-mouthed, repeatedly swearing in almost every episode.'
Honestly i dont care for the anime. dmc began as a game serie, and i barely see him curse in the games.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Honestly i dont care for the anime. dmc began as a game serie, and i barely see him curse in the games.
It's still the same voice actor as DMC3 and 4. Langdon is Dante. And anime Dante is still DMC Dante, set in the same world with the same characters, and it is cannon, therefore Dante does swear as much, if more than DmC Dante. Heck, I'd curse at a guy if he threatened to screw me in prison. >_< Yeah...that was a pretty messed up episode...

IncarnatedDemon

It's still the same voice actor as DMC3 and 4. Langdon is Dante. And anime Dante is still DMC Dante, set in the same world with the same characters, and it is cannon, therefore Dante does swear as much, if more than DmC Dante. Heck, I'd curse at a guy if he threatened to screw me in prison. >_< Yeah...that was a pretty messed up episode...
I guess you can say he curses, but in games through 4 games he barely curses.

Plssing me off is quite softcore lol

IncarnatedDemon

It is soft, but it did surprise me:p
I forgot to say/ask, isn't NTDante's cursing based off punk movement?

I know NTDante inspired by punk movement, but i dont know if punks curse alot or not. I think they do, but again i wouldnt know without googling it.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I think I saw a clip on that once, didn't the prisoner guy have the hots for him or something?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I forgot to say/ask, isn't NTDante's cursing based off punk movement?

I know NTDante inspired by punk movement, but i dont know if punks curse alot or not. I think they do, but again i wouldnt know without googling it.
It depends. I guess some did...some didn't. NT Dante was more about rebellion and fighting a corrupt system...Punks did that too, but some were mostly in it for the fashion and music.

Not that swearing= rebellion...I'd say the NT Dante swears because he's immature, was brought up in gangs...and it seems to be like a defence mechanism for him when he's fighting...kinda like a dog barking loudly when it's scared.

There was also an article somewhere that said NT Dante was based off Tyler Durden from the Fight Club book and film, which is why you get Lilith making that cheesy reference of 'from night club to fight club' during her level.:p

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Entertaining video lol.
It all goes back to Dante is/doesnt pattern.

Dante doesnt...
have black hair
smoke
curse alot (he barely does lol)

Dante is
Half demon half human
People complained about smoking, the hair colour and herritage change.

When you expect Dante...you expect Dante, that simple.
If Dmc 2 was given to a different company to develop, and the character was changed, then fans of reboot would go "I dont like this Dante, he isnt NTDante".

There are lots of characters that curse, the problem isn't cursing, hell i liked listening to Ellie curse.
It is what i said it is above in bold.

i thought the "smoking dante" was a pretty cool idea and a nice departure from the old series. don't get me wrong, i love the final outcome. but he feels too much like a watered down shallow version of DMC3 dante and not his own entity like he appeared to be in the debut trailer and NT's early designs of the character.
and trust me...DMC dante could swear...a lot

IncarnatedDemon

i thought the "smoking dante" was a pretty cool idea and a nice departure from the old series. don't get me wrong, i love the final outcome. but he feels too much like a watered down shallow version of DMC3 dante and not his own entity like he appeared to be in the debut trailer and NT's early designs of the character.
and trust me...DMC dante could swear...a lot
To quote NTDante about NTDante:
i dont really give a sh1t.

He is not the character i think or assosciate with the name Dante in context to dmc. He is the Dante that NT made. In my opinion...capcom should have let him continue smoking. But i guess sales is more important.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
He is not the character i think or assosciate with the name Dante.
This guy is also called Dante...notice the hair and long coat:p:troll: I swear the name Dante is becoming synonimous with guys who have longish hair, long coats and dangerous lifestyle.
Dante_Vale_zps9a23cbac.jpg

In my opinion...capcom should have let him continue smoking. But i guess sales is more important.
I wouldn't have minded if he did or didn't.

IncarnatedDemon

This guy is also called Dante...notice the hair and long coat:p:troll: I swear the name Dante is becoming synonimous with guys who have longish hair, long coats and dangerous lifestyle.

I wouldn't have minded if he did or didn't.

Maybe that Dante is inspired by dmc?

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

You see Dante curse in the English version of the anime.....dubbed by Funimation. The same guys who over does it with foul language in most if not almost all of their animes. Plus Funimation puts in a lot of extra quotes or alters some lines to make them feel very different or well spice up the English version to make it more interesting to English viewers (such as Mel Gibson references in High School of the Dead).

I want to know what the original Japanese dialogue have Dante say or how much cursing it has in that one (since Japanese media tend not to have much cursing).

Its not very accurate to go by what Dante says in the English dub version of an anime that was originally in Japanese. The games and their dialogue were written directly from the original author or company (Capcom) whereas the anime was dubbed and translated through the procession of another company (Funimation).

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
You see Dante curse in the English version of the anime.....dubbed by Funimation. The same guys who over does it with foul language in most if not almost all of their animes. Plus Funimation puts in a lot of extra quotes or alters some lines to make them feel very different or well spice up the English version to make it more interesting to English viewers (such as Mel Gibson references in High School of the Dead).

I want to know what the original Japanese dialogue have Dante say or how much cursing it has in that one (since Japanese media tend not to have much cursing).

Its not very accurate to go by what Dante says in the English dub version of an anime that was originally in Japanese. The games and their dialogue were written directly from the original author or company (Capcom) whereas the anime was dubbed and translated through the procession of another company (Funimation).
I know that dubbing does take liberties with the original Japanese, and that the Japanese don't tend to curse, though I have heard the occasional 'kuso' on kid's TV and they do like the word 'f.uck'. Besides, not everything in Japanese can be conveyed in English, so of course there would be changes.
As for Japanese media not having much cursing, you just have to know where to look;) They especially like to curse in English because it is seen as cool.

I have the bluray of the anime, so I'll see if it has a Japanese language dub and then compare to the English. I suppose the most insulting thing Dante could say in Japanese is either kuso or kisama:p

I guess it all depends on wich dub you see as offical or 'the right one'. Same goes for the DMC3 manga. That certainly had stuff added for sh!ts and giggles. ;)

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
kuso means kid no?
kisama meaning you bastards?
Kuso sometimes means like 'crap' or 'sh!t' or 'damn'. There isn't really an exact word for it in English. It depoends on the context or preference of translation. Kid in Japanese can be kodomo, or if you want to be rude, gaki, it's like brat.

Kisama is not exactly like bastard. Literally, it is a very polite verson of saying in English 'you' but these days it is now understood as an insult, especially if it is used towards someone who is lower than you (age, job, experience...). I'm not entirely sure how to explain it, other than teacher said never to use it unless you want to really anger or upset someone.

Japanese have quite a few words that when translated literally into English do not sound rude, but spoken to Japanese people in the native language, they can be mildly rude or very insulting. Words like damare for example would be like using 'shut the fck up' or just 'shut up' in English, but literally in English, it does not mean exactly that.

That's why I always feel sorry for people who have to translate Japanese for anime, because depending on context or situation of the conversation, who is talking to who, ranking of people, and all the prefix/ suffix problems, it can be difficult to convey the exact feeling from Japanese to English. Transators just do the best that they can.

Top Bottom