• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Good Gentleman Recommends - Chuck

The Good Gentleman

S'all Part of a Miracle Masterpiece
In a world where I recommend little known stuff that solidifies me as the anti-hipster's hipster, this one is a little more well known. Only slightly. Today's recommendation is...

co37yvs.jpg

What is this here?
A spy-action/comedy/drama television series that premiered on NBC and ran for five seasons between September 2007 and January 2012. Created by Josh Schwartz of "The OC" fame and produced by McG, it stars....well. It actually stars quite a few stars. For the breakdown, click below:
Main Cast
Zachary Levi - Charles "Chuck" Bartowski
Yvonne Strahowski - Sarah Walker
Adam Baldwin - Major John Casey
Joshua Gomez - Morgan Grimes
Sarah Lancaster - Dr. Eleanor Bartowski
Ryan McPartlin - Dr. Devon "Captain Awesome" Woodcomb
Bonita Friedericy - General Diane Beckman
Mark Christopher Lawrence - Big Mike
Vik Sahay - Lester Patel
Scott Krinsky - Jeffrey Barnes
Julia Ling - Anna Wu

Recurring Cast
C.S. Lee - Harry Tang
Tony Hale - Emmett Milbarge
Kristin Kreuk - Hannah
Matt Bomer - Bryce Larkin
Jonathan Cake - Cole Barker
Scott Bakula - Stephen Bartowski
Tony Todd - Langston Graham
Linda Hamilton - Mary Elizabeth Bartowski
Mini Anden - Carina Miller
Olivia Munn, Stacey Keibler, Summer Glau & Isaiah Mustafa - "GRETA"
Chevy Chase - Ted Roark
Arnold Vosloo - Vincent Smith
Jordana Brewster - Jill Roberts
Mark Pellegrino - Edgar Winterborne
Mark Sheppard - "The Director"
Brandon Routh - Daniel Shaw
"Stone Cold" Steve Austin - Hugo Panzer
Timothy Dalton - Alexei Volkoff
Lauren Cohan - Vivian Volkoff
Dolph Lundgren - Marco
Ray Wise - Mr. Riley
Nicole Richie - Heather Chandler
Mekenna Melvin - Alex McHugh
Armand Assante - Generalissimo Alejandro Fulgencio Goya
Carrie Anne Moss - Gertrude Verbanski
Gary Cole - Jack Burton
Angus Macfadyen - Nicholas Quinn
That was a lot!

Tell me some more...
The series follows the misadventures of Chuck Bartowski, a directionless and ambition-less geek who works at the Nerd Herd at the local Buy More (parody of Geek Squad and Best Buy). One day, he receives an email from his old college buddy/arch-nemesis Bryce Larkin, who now works as a CIA agent. Bryce has gone rogue, and completely pilfered then destroyed "The Intersect", a supercomputer jointly developed by the CIA and NSA to covertly share intel - the computer essentially holds their most classified intel. Before getting shot by the NSA's Major Casey, Bryce sends the entire Intersect to Chuck's email via encoded subliminal images. Upon opening it, Chuck inadvertently downloads the entire database into his brain, becoming the only known Intersect himself and now living a life of constant 24/7 dangers where rogue spies, hitmen, and other unscrupulous individuals want to get their hands on his brain. His only protection, the CIA's own superspy Sarah Walker, and the NSA's ultimate badass, John Casey - and somewhere down the line, Chuck's own hidden potential... And in-between all that, there is still his job at the Buy More, which more often than not, comes across more as a Circus Freakshow than an electronics retail store.

5o6JXr4.gif
ZiKumT6.gif

It's all sounds really ridiculous. Why watch this?
This is a show that has defied all known TV network expectations and logic - FOUR TIMES. The show IS incredibly niche, serial, and aimed at a very specific and rare crowd - yet, as more people learned of the show, the crowd grew. At the end of every season, the show was set to be cancelled from the extremely low ratings. Yet, every time, three factors saved it - glowing critics' reviews, a very supportive, growing and vocal fanbase, and for some reason, Subway. Yep, the fast-food sub chain loved the show so much they sponsored it themselves.

So what makes it all so special and different? Heart. Despite the drama playing second banana to the ridiculous spy stuff, over-the-top action, and the unlicensed nuthouse that is the Buy More, this is a show that has drama far more organic than even your set drama shows. Nothing is forced, nothing is left-field, and everything flows the way it's supposed to. The good, and the bad.

But of course, there is the cast and action as well. Virtually every role is cast to perfection - yes, even Nicole Richie fills the shoes she's been given, but no one quite steals the show quite like Timothy Dalton (as always!) as the hilariously psychotic Volkoff.

Decent action?
Try impressive. Not say....Nikita or Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. levels of impressive, but impressive.

Where do we find this one?
Fortunately, Chuck is almost as hilariously easy to find as it is often hilarious. Amazon has it for streaming, NBC has it for streaming, Hulu has it for streaming, and a whole mess of unofficial streaming sites have it up. Just google for it, and you'll find it.

If you want to buy it, equally easy. Amazon has the entire series on Blu-Ray for $85. If that's too much, just walk into whatever retail store you want and you'll likely find it cheaper. In fact, pay your local Big Lots (if you have one) a visit. Don't be surprised to find a few season sets there as well.

Q&A (Where I ask and I answer, pretending to be you!)
  • Sooooo... Yvonne Strahowski, huh?
  • Trust me, I know. I know.
  • Who are those two creepy jackasses "dancing" up there?
  • Ah, Lester and Jeff. The words "weird and creepy" don't really do justice. In fact, you really have to see their pathetic schemes to really believe any of it.
  • Anything else this show has going for it?
  • Try the music? I've seen quite a few shows that have a really good ear for appropriate music during certain scenes, but Chuck really knocks it out of the park. Granted, most of it is indie hipster stuff, but damn if it doesn't actually fit. You'll probably end up looking at least some of it up.
  • Does Matt Bomer take his shirt off!?
  • Yes he does. In case Magic Mike wasn't enough. In fact, Jonathan Cake and Brandon Routh also join the shirtless scenes club!
hqdefault.jpg

Top Bottom