• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Genre That Never Made It Out The Womb

Would you have liked to play this type of game?

• Sure

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Railazel

It goes without saying that DMC 1 was the father of stylized action gaming. With the introduction of a combo- based ranking system, the introduction of "cancelling", among other innovations paved the way for games like God of War and Bayonetta.

What's often ignored in its praise, even by the franchise as evidence by its sequels, is its darker, more- horror based aspects. Only the fans of the franchise know its origins as the original concept for RE 4 and how the game took a life of its own during development as to become a totally different franchise. The horror elements were still intact in the game. The background music for the castle was ominous, the enemy designs were creepy, and items were pretty scarce. The enemy AI made it difficult for the unprepared player and the emphasis on a strategy to defeat the enemies gave the sense that you were essentially in "mini-mini- boss" battles.

What comes to mind to me, however, is that DMC created a new horror genre alongside the new action one. This new form of horror is simply an alternative route that could've been taken if the horror elements of DMC 1 had more focus in later games than the action ones. I see that, in contrast to franchises like Resident Evil taking a more action- oriented route, this other genre would've struck a balance between the intense action and the horror, redefining how action games are usually played. Essentially, this is action gaming seen through a horror lens.

The genre would have gone as follows:
1. Enemy AI and variety in their attacks and defenses would've been a higher emphasis to create a certain amount of unpredictability in the battle and, naturally, wariness within the player especially for those who aren't particularly adept at either horror nor action.

2. Items would be scarce and expensive to enforce the player to grow in skill rather than feel assured by the existence of healing or revival items.

3. Surprise attacks by the enemy are signature for any horror game and DMC 1 had a good amount of them. That, again, creates unpredictability.

4. Creating value for the player's own attacks by having enemies be weak against certain attacks or such attacks being counters to an enemy's attacks and defenses.

5. An emphasis on fluid combat would be necessitated so the player can make full use of any opening he finds in battle.

One of the interesting things about this genre is that the personalized, improvised combat we are so accustomed to wouldn't be as common occurring due to the higher difficulty. Another thing would be how developers would go about this process since striking such a balance would (I imagine) prove very difficult. That is probably the reason such a genre doesn't exist now.

The point of this topic is to point out another part of DMC 1's creativity and innovation. That, if Capcom or any other developer had wished, the horror elements of DMC would've had a greater focus and create another genre. How successful this genre would have been is up to speculation but it just goes to show the potentiality any innovative game can have.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Actually, I think RE4 had a great balance between horror and action. That's always been my lift off point for an action/horror game and how I would like to see it handled.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Personally, I think Arkham Asylum comes rather close to what you're describing -- but that's just me.

Railazel

Honestly the scariest thing for me in DMC1 was that you lost 90% of your health with 1 hit on DMD.

I got scared a couple of times when the Marionettes fell from the ceiling.

Actually, I think RE4 had a great balance between horror and action. That's always been my lift off point for an action/horror game and how I would like to see it handled.

I don't think that's the same as to what I'm describing but you're right in that RE 4 struck that balance rather well.

Personally, I think Arkham Asylum comes rather close to what you're describing -- but that's just me.

Yeah, I see what you mean.

Railazel

I'm sorry, I really don't get this.

DMC belongs to the hack n' slash genre and according to Guinness World Records (gaming), Devil May Cry is THE MOST SUCCESSFUL game of the hack n' slash genre.

And now I don't get your response. Who said it wasn't?

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Actually ever played Onimusha?

Its practically what you're looking for or close to it.

Don't let the similarities to Devil May Cry make you think it ripped it off (although it actually is made by Capcom but just a different team) it actually came BEFORE Devil May Cry.

It was originally a Resident Evil game set in the Sengoku Era of Japan with the project name "Sengoku Biohazard" but it soon became its own series.

Prior to popular belief Devil May Cry isn't that original. It mostly copied Onimusha (just thrown in its own elements like firearms) especially the one glitch that Onimusha had that allowed the player to juggle enemies. DMC just made that an actual mechanic rather than a glitch.

I guess when it was given to Itsuno he decided to make it less like Onimusha which was more strategy orientated and made it more stylish, combo based so the 2 series won't end up overriding the other due to how similar they are but then again DMC end up being more popular I guess due to the emphasis on stylish action although Onimusha had a conclusion and a FAR better story (even better than DmC....although some people here would like to disagree). Then again Capcom has shown interest in bringing it back (no not that crap browser card game but Eshiro...or was it Ono stating they would like to make another one).

Itsuno made DMC more style and action orientated so Onimusha wouldn't have to get shelved because they have another game like it but far more popular.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
So has far as I'm concerned that genre made it out the womb but it wasn't through Devil May Cry nor was Devil May Cry the first game or the progenitor. It just stole the fame and credit.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
And now I don't get your response. Who said it wasn't?

I don't understand what you're getting at with this thread.
You're talking about something that didn't do very well when DMC has done brilliantly (regardless of content that does or doesn't exist).

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
So if Stylish Nero is correct, then an Onimusha game could be a new way to bring the ideas your talking about back.

Railazel

I don't understand what you're getting at with this thread.
You're talking about something that didn't do very well when DMC has done brilliantly (regardless of content that does or doesn't exist).

I'm saying that DMC innovated (or rather popularized because I totally forgot about Onimusha) the HnS genre but it also innovated horror in a way that no one seemingly paid attention to. I'm not saying that the franchise failed in anyway.

So has far as I'm concerned that genre made it out the womb but it wasn't through Devil May Cry nor was Devil May Cry the first game or the progenitor. It just stole the fame and credit.
So if Stylish Nero is correct, then an Onimusha game could be a new way to bring the ideas your talking about back.

No, not really, Onimusha doesn't exactly scream "horror" to me. Although, it does come close in some aspects.

However, I did find a developing game called Umbra that's seemingly going to combine Horror elements with Hack and Slash.

Top Bottom