• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The DmC house of tech

DDutchguy

DmC hype
DmC HYPE

dmc2.jpg

As far as I know there is no dedicated DmC tech theead yet, so I figured I'd make one myself! I'll try to keep this thread updated whenever I find something new, either myself or on Youtube (I may make a separate post about it instead of just an edit as a way to bump the thread).

Tech?
Tech is a fighting game term that refers to a new way to use a character's existing set of moves. The term applies to DMC games rather well, hence my use of it.
Now, on to the good stuff! For reference (assuming you have default controls):
- Light attack = Y / Triangle / Left mouse button
- Heavy attack = B / Circle / F

JUST-CHARGED MOVES: Release a charged attack right as it reaches its final charge level.
Like previous DMCs, DmC has several charge attacks that can be released 'just' as they get fully charged for a more powerful version of the attack. Strangely enough, none of the Eryx charge attacks have just-frames to them. The following moves can be just-charged:
- Rebellion: Drive level 2 charge, glows orange when just-charged.
- Aquila: Round Trip level 2 charge, becomes white when just-charged.
- Ebony & Ivory: Charged Shot level 3, becomes a single white orb when just-charged.
- Revenant: Charged Shot level 2, becomes very orange when just-charged.
- Osiris: Raze level 2, has a trail of angel energy around it when just-charged.

INSTANT-AIR DROP (found by Sam D): Inverse Rainstorm, Evade, Drop (Arbiter air heavy)
Canceling Inverse Rainstorm with an evade leaves you very close to the ground. By being so close, you can cancel the part of the Drop startup animation where Dante lifts Arbiter, resulting in just the fault line coming out instead of the full attack. This does much less damage than regular drop however (although instant-air ddop is about 10 times cooler).

Video link: /watch?v=Y_4eL-TRGPY

VERGIL TRICK CANCELING: Press Evade in conjunction with certain attacks
So Vergil's evade has a bit of startup before he moves away with the teleport. You can abuse this by repeatedly tapping Evade and doing a move right afterwards. This can be useful for numerous things:
Quickly getting out air light attacks. You can spam Evade and light attack to very quickly do air light attacks after another. It also looks much cleaner than jump canceling does.
Canceling a combo. So you can do YY-Y, Evade, YYY. The second part (after the Evade) gives you Vergil's standard combo.
Canceling Rapid Slash for fast movement.

Video link: /watch?v=xx8GJ_F8Y3k

VERGIL BLINKING (found by mariotaz): Use Evade together with Flare (angel mode heavy attack) to evade many times in a row.
Flare has two neat properties: The animation starts almost instantly and you can cancel out of its startup. You can do evade, Flare, evade, Flare, evade, etc. to pretty much infinitely evade with enough practice.

Video link: /watch?v=dqv-LjEv1CA

CHARGED SHOT CANCELING (found by Sam D): Charge up a Ricoshot during a move, then let it go before it's charged to cancel out of a move.
So what Sam D does in the video below is that he performs a Trillion Stab, followed by him charging up a Ricoshot. Now while you're charging the Ricoshot, but it has not reached a full charge yet, you can release the shoot button, which causes Dante to 'reset' so to speak, which allows you to follow up with any other move.

Now what this does is allow you to, for instance, do Trillion Stab into Flush and Trillion Stab into Stinger (both of which Sam does in the video). Normally you can't do Trillion Stab into these moves because you can't cancel into a lot of moves from Trillion Stab, but the Ricoshot cancel resets Dante so that you can do this now.

Video link: /watch?v=kdIXYIlXZLU

DYING IN TRAINING MODE: Use Vergil's delayed combo or Rapid Slash, have not found logic behind this yet.
For some reason you can fall through the ground of the training room when you're doing some of Vergil's attacks. It's really really weird.

KABLOOEY COMBO EXTENSION: When exploding a Kablooey dart, enemies always get launched in the direction that their back is facing.
So let's say I'm standing right behind an enemy and I explode a dart, then they'll be launched in my direction. This way you can extend your combos from things like the Arbiter basic combo. If you want to do this it becomes important to know how you can turn around your enemy to make their back face you. Here are the ways I found to set up Kablooey.
General
- Popping up your opponent and evading/walking/gliding to the other side (obviously).
Rebellion
- Rebellion basic combo, very quickly after the last hit, the turn is only for a short time.
- Rebellion delayed combo, shortly (but not immediately) after the last hit. If you wait a bit longer than that, the demon is far enough so that if you explode him back, his back will still be facing you.
Arbiter
- Arbiter basic combo, shortly after the second hit.
Osiris
- Basic combo first hit, only for a short time. Only with Feed active.
- Basic combo third hit, only for a short time. Only with Feed active
- Prop (Osiris special attack), if the last hit doesn't connect. Also works without Feed.
- Basic air combo, third hit.
Eryx
- Basic combo first hit when charged to level 1, only for a short time. Hard to use.
- Showdown (Eryx air attack, if the enemy hits the ground and comes back up (you get this from upgrading the move).
Aquila
- Caliber (Aquila air special), if you're not doing it at point blank.
- (Very impractical) Aquila basic air combo, only if a basic Stygian demon has almost recovered from being Demon Pulled but hasn't fully recovered yet.
Revenant
- Regular shot, only at short range, only for a short time.

Caliber and Showdown are the most practical ways overall to set up Kablooey.

ANGEL BOOSTING TWICE: Glide up to an enemy, and glide back off the enemy again.
Mostly used as a way to make your combo look cooler. When you glide into an enemy, the game treats that enemy as a wall that you can glide off again.

Video link: /watch?v=Wdzh9_IPQV4

VERGIL DOPPELGANGER CONTROL (by michellegun201): After hitting an enemy with an attack, Vergil's doppelganger will automatically go to the enemy when starting another attack. This is called 'Pursuit Mode'.
This can also be done by using one of Vergil's charge attacks and activating doppelganger during the charge, though it kinda messes up Vergil's charge animation.

Video link: /watch?v=NtiHJ2xtGHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtiHJ2xtGHw

Last edited:

DDutchguy

DmC hype
Trying to get Xbox One recordings working so I can make a couple videos on Trick canceling and hopefully dying in training mode lol. I also have a couple other pieces of tech I'll edit in later.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
there's actually been something like this here for all of Dante and Vergil's technical skills and canceling. It's just not stapled onto the forum.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
You ever thought of adding a pic from the game to the opening post? I usually do it in thread like this, to make it more immersive.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
tag an enemy with kablooy switch to E&I , charge your shot, switch back to kablooy, release charge shot with a bang

Top Bottom