• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The DMC Guru database

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
So... stupid title for the thread, but I lack the motivation to come up with a better one...

I need help (again) since I'm not confident in the bits and pieces of info from the DMC universe that I know (or think I know). So I thought I'd just start this thread and whenever I have another question to ask, I can just post it here and hope somebody comes by and answers me, instead of creating a new thread for every question that pops into my head at random moments.

OKAY. I'm writing fanfiction on DMC. I want to get the details right. I don't trust what's what out on the internet anymore, so I came here to ask devoted followers of the series instead.

So, current questions.

1.) When did Dante and Vergil first discover their devil trigger?

2.) Did they have to die before they could devil trigger? And did this make them more demon, or did this just awake their dormant devil side?

3.)Have they always had the ability to heal quickly, or did they only get that trait once they were able to shift into their demon form?

4.) How do they devil trigger? Do they need a weapon, do they say a spell, is it just something they naturally do when they feel under attack?

I realize no one might know the right answers, but I'll be going on what the majority of you guys agree on. So, if any of the wizzes on DMC could help me out please?=]

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
clairavance;189544 said:
So... stupid title for the thread, but I lack the motivation to come up with a better one...

I need help (again) since I'm not confident in the bits and pieces of info from the DMC universe that I know (or think I know). So I thought I'd just start this thread and whenever I have another question to ask, I can just post it here and hope somebody comes by and answers me, instead of creating a new thread for every question that pops into my head at random moments.

OKAY. I'm writing fanfiction on DMC. I want to get the details right. I don't trust what's what out on the internet anymore, so I came here to ask devoted followers of the series instead.

So, current questions.

2.) Did they have to die before they could devil trigger? And did this make them more demon, or did this just awake their dormant devil side?

3.)Have they always had the ability to heal quickly, or did they only get that trait once they were able to shift into their demon form?

4.) How do they devil trigger? Do they need a weapon, do they say a spell, is it just something they naturally do when they feel under attack?

I realize no one might know the right answers, but I'll be going on what the majority of you guys agree on. So, if any of the wizzes on DMC could help me out please?=]

I'm not an expert myself, but I will try to give some answers of my own.

Q1: Dante discovered his Devil Trigger in DMC3, at the top of Temen-ni-gru, when he was impaled by his own sword by Vergil. Vergil however, probably discovered his Devil Trigger earlier than the game, but no specific details are given.

Q2: Not sure if they have to die to activate Devil Trigger, but it is noted that Dante and Nero received their Devil Trigger after in near-death experience and when they remember someone that they love is dead or in danger. Devil Trigger allows them to unleash their real demon forms, like Dante and Vergil. Nero however, releases a demonic spirit at his back when he activates Devil Trigger, where the demon resembles Vergil's Devil Trigger form. There are no details to how Vergil gets his Devil Trigger.

Q3: Demons probably have great healing factors, which allows them to heal injuries faster. Dante and Vergil have their injuries heal faster thanks to their demonic heritage, which also allows them to have natural healing factor. Changing to their Devil Trigger forms, their abilities have become greater, which also allows them to their recover their lost life much faster than normal. Examples of characters from other media that has healing factor is Wolverine from X-Men, and Spider-Man.

Q4: In my opinion, weapons may only affect what their Devil Trigger forms will be and may imbue any additional abilities. My guess is that they can naturally do anytime and anywhere after they unlocked their Devil Triggers.

Don't take my answers seriously as they are my guesses and you should see what other answers they will post.

Sparda™

clairavance;189544 said:

So, current questions.

Answer 1 - Dante discovered it while fighting atop the Temen-ni-gru against Vergil. The Rebellion which was impaled through his torso by Vergil awakened by the blood sacrificed by Dante, unleashed Dante's first-time Devil Trigger.

Vergil had his Devil Trigger unleashed before. Probably in the Manga time, or said differently, one year before DMC3.

Answer 2 - The Devil Trigger (often abbreviated as DT) is a special technique possessed by demons and half-demons which allows its user to release their demonic side. The user will assume their true, demonic form, and their voice will usually become deeper. In this form, many of the character's attributes are amplified, and the character may have access to upgrades or even additions to their normal abilities like flying or hovering.

While in Devil Trigger, the characters' speed and strength increase, and they constantly recuperate vitality. Additional effects are apparent, though these vary between games, and are usually determined by the equipped weapons or items of the character. For example, Dante will usually gain the ability to hover while in Devil Trigger, but this is obtained by equipping the Alastor in Devil May Cry, the Aerial Heart in Devil May Cry 2, and Nevan in Devil May Cry 3.

The technique is confirmed to be available to Dante, Sparda, Lucia, Trish, Vergil and Nero. Several other characters, specifically Arkham, Credo, Agnus and Sanctus have abilities resembling Devil Trigger, though it is not known if it is the same.

Answer 3 - Regeneration is present also while in their human form. Dante was pierced by Nero using the Rebellion, having him impaled onto the Sparda statue, but Dante recovered instantly. While in DT, the ability is enhanced even more.

Answer 4 - Sparda, after being taken a lion share of his abilities due to his ritual of sealing the demonic gates and Temen-ni-gru, could go in his demonic form through his amulet - for a short period of time. Dante and Vergil in DMC3 and Dante again in DMC1, are reliable on their Devil Arms' power to enter the Devil Trigger state. They also change their demonic appearance when they change the Devil Arm they're using.

Dante in DMC4 and DMC2 seemingly has grown older, and so have his powers. Thus, he doesn't need a Devil Arm to rely on his DT shifting ability. That comes from his own powers.

Nero in the other hand, devil triggers through the reflection of Yamato's demonic soul being projected by the Devil Bringer.

Trish67

Bad a$$ Gunslinger
I could not have said it better myself...and I'm glad you answered, Sparda. Because my brain was starting to hurt from thinking of the answer...lol

Sparda™

Trish67;189555 said:
I could not have said it better myself...and I'm glad you answered, Sparda. Because my brain was starting to hurt from thinking of the answer...lol

Yeah, right... :rolleyes:

Well, Clairavance, I hope you found my reply useful. Thought to include every little detail I could.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Sparda™;189550 said:
For example, Dante will usually gain the ability to hover while in Devil Trigger, but this is obtained by equipping the Alastor in Devil May Cry, the Aerial Heart in Devil May Cry 2, and Nevan in Devil May Cry 3.

o_O Dante can HOVER? They'd decide not to include that in DMC4, wouldn't they? Damn it Capcom!

Thanks for your responses guys, it is very helpful.^_^ If anybody has a different view on the answers, please feel free to post up your perspective. I'm taking all answers in and sifting through them to match key factors.

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
In DMC 2, as soon as you have the aerial heart you can immediately fly to your heart's content (pun intended) provided you have the DT to back it up. In 1 and 3 you have to purchase the Air Raid skill first but it's generally an inexpensive skill compared with the likes of Air Hike and whatnot.:cool:

Sparda™

The Phantarch;189593 said:
In DMC 2, as soon as you have the aerial heart you can immediately fly to your heart's content (pun intended) provided you have the DT to back it up. In 1 and 3 you have to purchase the Air Raid skill first but it's generally an inexpensive skill compared with the likes of Air Hike and whatnot.:cool:

I mentioned It above in my wall-like post.;)

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Sparda™;189594 said:
I mentioned It above in my wall-like post.;)

That's okay, like I said, if the minority of people come and basically say the same thing, it's good because that's the info I'll put to use.

Top Bottom