• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The changing faces of Dante

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
heroes.jpg

This doesn't actually have anything about Devil May Cry in it, but the video reminded me a lot of the series with what it talks about. But it kinda made me understand more why people miss the classic Dante, yet at the same time how his face has changed in each game.

I'd give it a watch, it's pretty good :)

Renegade Cut - The Changing Face of Heroes

Details:
Why do audiences accept new actors for Batman, Superman and James Bond but not certain other characters? What is the difference?

aoshi

I don't think dante's looks is wat most classic fans disagreed to but the character itself. There were a lot of hidden attributes to classic DMC characters. Like lady, though she acts tough and plays hard to get, she does open herself and say things like "Please free my father", "This is my father, my family, this was all supposed to end by my hands","I thought i was never going to cry". Same with vergil when he says, "This is our father's home". And the most thick facade was dante, he acts playful and toys with demons. He never shows his weakness to demons. Even when beowulff crushed him to the ground, he shrugs it off. The only places where he did show his anger was against vergil in mission 7 where he says,"I don't have a father , i jus don't like you" and he got served by vergil.

Dante's attitude in DmC was not a facade but the character itself.

IncarnatedDemon

I don't think dante's looks is wat most classic fans disagreed to but the character itself. There were a lot of hidden attributes to classic DMC characters. Like lady, though she acts tough and plays hard to get, she does open herself and say things like "Please free my father", "This is my father, my family, this was all supposed to end by my hands","I thought i was never going to cry". Same with vergil when he says, "This is our father's home". And the most thick facade was dante, he acts playful and toys with demons. He never shows his weakness to demons. Even when beowulff crushed him to the ground, he shrugs it off. The only places where he did show his anger was against vergil in mission 7 where he says,"I don't have a father , i jus don't like you" and he got served by vergil.

Your observation is correct.

In the process of building Dante's personality, the first thing that came up in Hideki's mind is the character came from the Japanese comic "Cobra".
"Even when Cobra fights, he has a little smile on his face, it is cool. But, sometimes Cobra makes a serious face and it makes tension for the readers. Dante too, usually Dante talks to devil like he doesn't care, but he is carrying sadness and spiteful feelings because his family was killed by devils, so his mind can't be calm like water without a wave. He is not going to be scared but his mind is burning with anger. But if he lets devils know about his feelings, the devils provoke and try to hurt his feelings..... so he pretends to be calm and keeps pretends.... then in the end, he can't keep doing it anymore and his story climaxes.
"The beauty of keeping feelings inside" is really Japanese way, I think. But I wanted to create not always mad or calm character, the character has liveliness."He put all the feelings of a hero in to Dante.
Source

Very good observations.
I always thought most DMC characters had a facade and at some point they showed their emotions and true intentions.
A good example is the last mission in DMC3. Notice how the characters have a different attitude than the one in Mission 7,when they first met?
Dante is more serious and nervous and at the end he even sheds some tears for his brothers loss.Things that we haven't seen until then.This represented his change in behaviour and personality to his future self in DMC1.
And he acts different when it comes to his brother,probably because he is the only one that can defeat him and because he is part of his family.With the other demons it's a different situation because they don't hold any importance or emotional bonds with him.That's why he doesn't even take them seriously.But with Vergil is a different thing because he sees him as the only being that can challenge him and has equal powers and has the same blood as him.
As you said,in the last mission Vergil also starts to show some of his true colors when he says to Dante : "Leave me and go"
Why would he care after all for his brother?
Same with Lady,she's the tough and violent type,but then she starts crying at the loss of her father.
I start to think they're emotional unstable and don't want to be seen as such because they show emotions.

But even with NTDante,you can notice his change in behaviour when he confronts Vergil,just like the one in DMC3.

berto

I Saw the Devil
i agree totally. thats why when devil may cry was rebooted the first time around, everyone had calm tits. because he was relatively the same character. while in DmC, he was completely re-invented

Technically every DMC has been a reboot. It's the oddest thing. I've never seen any franchise where every game had a redesigned protagonist. No two games have the same face, body build, and only 2 out of the five games have the same voice actor (This isn't why they're all reboots, just another part of the whole).

This might be why the mythos is considered such a cluster ****.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
the reason i got out of james bond in the first place. the reason i've gotten out of spider-man. and the reason i've gotten out of batman. **** like this. after a while, you just quit and move on.
I know right? The only reason I'm still with DMC is because I'm still hoping for DMC3 gameplay. Oh well, there's always the sequel...

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
Really interesting interview. And seeing things this way, i don't think that Itsuno's team strayed too far away from the original idea Hideki had in mind, but i'm very curious to know what would be of Devil May Cry if Kamiya was still in charge of it.
kamiya is a notorious westaboo (yes, that's a thing) so while itsuno's dante has cowboy boots, biker leggings, and other "western" clothing, kamiya dante would be all that multiplied, with a bit of western cowboy attitude tossed in

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
Maybe a lot of people are used to some great actors portraying as their favorite fictional heroes.
I may have liked Daniel Craig as Bond, but I prefer Pierce Brosnan more as the better Bond actor. But that's just me, giving an example.

That being said, let me quote someone here:
Technically every DMC has been a reboot. It's the oddest thing. I've never seen any franchise where every game had a redesigned protagonist. No two games have the same face, body build, and only 2 out of the five games have the same voice actor (This isn't why they're all reboots, just another part of the whole).

This might be why the mythos is considered such a cluster ****.
Because I agree to everything to what you've said. Yes. Dante was rebooted every single time, be it in the games, the manga, the novels, and even the anime! Kamiya did make a point on that on a past tweet on his that Dante has changed since the sequel came out (referring to DMC2).

I know right? The only reason I'm still with DMC is because I'm still hoping for DMC3 gameplay. Oh well, there's always the sequel...
And I still find DMC3's gameplay the best, with DMC1 coming second!

kamiya is a notorious westaboo (yes, that's a thing) so while itsuno's dante has cowboy boots, biker leggings, and other "western" clothing, kamiya dante would be all that multiplied, with a bit of western cowboy attitude tossed in
So you derived the term 'westaboo' from weeabo? So that means an eastern person who loves western culture? Right?

I'm almost scared to wonder how Dante would have turn out.

Then again, I actually like this look for Bayonetta. Short hair fits her better but now she looks like Christie from DOA.
dead_or_alive_5_christie_by_torker88-d5r5utf.jpg
I really prefer Bayonetta as she was in the first game, but I do like Jeanne with long hair though.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
I'm almost scared to wonder how Dante would have turn out.

Then again, I actually like this look for Bayonetta. Short hair fits her better but now she looks like Christie from DOA.

oh the short hair is pretty hot, but the shoulderpads and leg boots over the jumpsuit are just so weird

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
Really interesting interview. And seeing things this way, i don't think that Itsuno's team strayed too far away from the original idea Hideki had in mind, but i'm very curious to know what would be of Devil May Cry if Kamiya was still in charge of it.
I'll give you a hint on the last part: Konami and the fans pigeonholing Hideo Kojima for more Metal Gear.

So that means if Kamiya was still in charge of DMC, then he'd get pigeonholed by both Capcom and the fans alike.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I'll give you a hint on the last part: Konami and the fans pigeonholing Hideo Kojima for more Metal Gear.

So that means if Kamiya was still in charge of DMC, then he'd get pigeonholed by both Capcom and the fans alike.
Kamiya said a long time ago that he intended for every new DMC installment to have a new cast of characters like Final Fantasy. You don't have to believe me, but I wouldn't make up something like this.

Anyway, he may have changed his mind since then and wanted to stick to Dante, but I think having a new cast each game actually isn't a bad idea.

Top Bottom