• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Background Behind the Weapons of DMC

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
This thread is part of a long running series of consecutive threads addressing the background and even mythology behind certain aspects of DMC (DmC too) but now its just for the weapons. Starting with:

DMC1

Alastor

images

Meaning "Avenger" (which links to DMC1 Dante's goal of avenging his family by defeating Mundus), Alastor was genius of familial feuds in classical mythology, and encouraged violent retribution and is often referred to as a lightning god, such as Zeus, (that is self explanatory if you played DMC1) but in Christian demonology, he is an chief executioner of hell (that could mean anything for its status in DMC1).

Ifrit

images

Ifrits are supernatural beings from Arabic and Islamic culture/myth and they are a class of infernal Jinn (supernatural creatures and it explains the weapons design). They are enormous winged creatures of fire (that is why they're fire gaunlets), either male or female, they live underground and frequents ruins (I think DMC1 where you found Ifrit looked like ruins as opposed to rest of Dumary Island that was castle like and gothic).

Yamato (note since Yamato was technically introduced in DMC1 not DMC3)

images

Yamato is a famous Japanese warship during the WWII and is in fact Japan's most famous and possibly even prized warship (I guess this can play into Yamato's role in DMC especially DMC4 and why it appears to be the more significant weapon than Rebellion). Also, the warship also was considered a very important symbol of power and victory for the Japanese military and empire and was even one of their aka "secret weapons" of WWII (this connects to Yamato's destructive and killer power). The warship in a way represents royalty/pride for the nation and destructive power (Vergil was proud of his demon heritage and how he dressed like royalty, DmC Vergil dressed more like royalty and was even royalty by American standards and Nero was a powerhouse with Yamato).

Note Force Edge has no special background behind it and nor does Sparda

DMC2

Rebellion

images
images

Rebellion is an uprising.....screw it you know what a rebellion is but its significant to DMC because its Dante's main weapon as of DMC2 and the theme of Rebellion is that Sparda rebelled against his demon brethren for the sake of mankind and thus his sword was christened "Rebellion" and the sword/theme represent's Dante's rebellious side and how he is rebelling at his demon heritage in an inner way. However, DmC Dante in a way represents the theme of "rebellion" more than the DMC Dante because DmC Dante is in fact rebelling against society/demons like how DMC Sparda sorta did...no matter how you look at it.

As for the other weapons of DMC2 there isn't any interesting background behind the rest of the weapons......they sucked anyway.

DMC3

Cerberus

images

Obviously based off the 3 headed hell gate guard dog of Hades from Greek mythology, how Cerberus connects to the weapon its a 3 part nunchuck (3 heads get it and they're oddly shaped like fangs if you look closer).....I don't know if those exist.

Agni & Rudra

images

Agni is the Hindu deity of fire and Rudra is the Hindu deity of wind/storms. Its that simple.

Nevan

images

Nevan is a leanashe which is an Irish vampire/succubus hybrid and since there are bats in Nevan's attack theme since she is a vampire too, the weapon does produce electric bats and the weapon being a guitar is due the sound theme of how bats have super sonar hearing.

Beowulf

images

Beowulf in actuality is a hero from an old English novel by Henry Sheamus entitled "Beowulf" and he is a hero of justice who does in a way has above human strength (brawler weapon) who slayed a great demon called Grendel (which is what the boss Beowulf is actually based off of) and due to the supposed Christian nature it explains why the gauntlets are light based for a demon weapon.

Artemis

images

Artemis was the greek goddess of wilderness and hunting......that is all I have to say about that and I guess since Artemis is a gun weapon it does fit the hunting theme. Pretty basic Capcom....pretty basic.

DMC4

Red Queen

images

Funny note...Red Queen is a character from the Alice of Wonderland series but is also a type of playing card which actually suits Nero due to the playing card/gambling theme behind a lot of his moves.

Blue Rose

300px-BlueRose.jpg

Blue roses, which cannot occur naturally, have long been a symbol for extreme rarity or attaining the impossible, detail that fits with the only one exception of Nero using a fire weapon. The blue is the main color of Nero. Roses also traditionally symbolize love, while blue flowers are used to signify great faithfulness and loyalty; the combination of the two would thus denote a lasting, faithful love.

260px-SmithWesson_model_500.jpg

Also, Blue Rose seems to be a heavily modified Smith and Wesson Model 500 double-action revolver. Nero had this weapon customized for special purposes such as:

• It has a traditional 6-shot cylinder as opposed to the Model 500's original 5-shot cylinder.
  • Further modifications the gun has are targeting sights, and porting on each barrel to reduce recoil and muzzle flip.
  • An obvious extra barrel underneath allowing for a double shot.
  • The cylinder has also been modified to release on the right to reload rather than the usual left, as Nero shoots with his left hand (as seen on the Guns and Swords video)
  • The gun also has a molded wooden grip and an intricate blue rose design carved into the left side of the gun (hence the name).
  • The bullets have been seen to spin after firing. It is possible that Nero has rifled the revolver.
Gilgamesh

images

Gilgamesh just like Beowulf is from a epic poem but in Mesopotamian mythology he was a demigod with Supernatural strength that allowed him to build the city walls of Uruk by himself....with only his bare arms in which in real life (or recorded history) he was the king and hero of. Well supernatural strength equals supernatural demonic strength enhancement gauntlets and gear.

Pandora

images

No point in explaining who or what Pandora is but her significance to the weapon is her box (Pandora's box) which can unleash eternal chaos from hell upon mankind if she ever opened similar to how Pandora has in that small suit case about 666 weapon forms (demonic/hell reference) with its last form (Omen) being able to unleash a chaos that damages everything in the area plus Pandora is a weapon of mass destruction compared to past Devil Arms/weapons.

Lucifer

images

........................................................lets just ignore the background of its name and look at its design and evaluate its design, concept, and theme. Well Luci....I mean this weapon is very Spanish.....I mean Mexican based as its design and even theme seems to match that of Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) with the skull and the red rose which is a rather famous symbol that is identified with Mexican culture such their dances. Heck even the weapons moveset looks a lot like Dante's dancing to some Flamenco music. Remember when Dante received the weapon, he was demonstrating it and was stating sexual phrases well notice some Lucifer's other moves seem sexual such as Bondage, Climax, Ecstasy, and Discipline even Pin-Up maybe and to know what I'm talking about look up BDSM. Also, the king of Babylon was named Lucifer and his son apparently was named Berial......I'll let you think on that.

DmC

Osiris

images

Osiris is the Egyptian God of death, the afterlife, and the underworld.....suits this weapon since its an scythe, Death's most referred weapon, and its rather Egyptian design.

Arbiter

images

Latin for "judge, supreme ruler" and is one chosen or appointed to judge or decide a disputed issue; an arbitrator. I guess with it Dante can lay judgement upon his demonic foes.

Eryx

270px-Dante-Eryx.jpg

Eryx is the name of a city in the mountainous region of Sicily in which Eryx in Greek mythology was the king of. Eryx was a champion athlete and boxer (explains Eryx's fist brawler only abilities) who was bested in a match with Hercules and killed. Eryx is also a genus/class of snakes (Snake Eyes).

Then there is Revenant, the name for the new shot gun in DmC but since I can't find a good picture that is all. Well moving on...finished.

Comments...thoughts.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
Heh....it sorta looks like it to me maybe we see things differently but Osiris does look very ancient compared to other DMC weapons.

ohhh yh i see that, i thought u were talking about something else and was confused

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Really??? How so??
i just feel lucifer is a name tacked on it rather than a name that the weapon itself fits.

off topic- i find it funny that the blue rose is a modified revolver as one of nero's prototype outfits made him look a little bit like revolver ocelot from metal gear solid.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
i just feel lucifer is a name tacked on it rather than a name that the weapon itself fits.

off topic- i find it funny that the blue rose is a modified revolver as one of nero's prototype outfits made him look a little bit like revolver ocelot from metal gear solid.

I wouldn't be surprised.

Top Bottom