• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The attack in Mitis Forest

Viper

Premium
From the booklet received with DMC4:

"A number of demons appeared suddenly from deep within the Mitis Forest and attacked the city, destroying a number of houses and inflicting slight injuries to citizens.

As luck would have it, Nero, a knight of the Order of the Sword, was present at the scene. All demons were exterminated. During this incident, a private female citizen who was a traveling companion of Nero's, was injured. Nero himself received a minor injury to his right shoulder.

The ministry of technology has determined that Nero's sword, the Red Queen, took some damage and is currently being repaired.

A detailed investigation of the area was performed, but no conclusions have been made concerning the reason behind the demon attack. There will be another investigation at a later date."

This part was also featured in The Deadly Fortune novel in more detail, so it is very likely canon and not something they quickly made up for the booklet.

It made me think...

If this was just a random demon attack as result of Agnus and his schemes, why were they investigating it so thoroughly? Guilty governments usually make some quick investigation and come up with an excuse that will please the public, yet this one remained open.

Demons are not nice to their victims and are quite fast and vicious foes, so why did this attack end only with slight injuries and not a single dead?
You could say Nero arrived to save them in time, but he was not really that successful in his fight if both him and Kyrie were injured as well.

Another possible explanation is that the attack was just a ruse to get to Nero. Maybe even implant him with something that will make that arm of his? But then - who sent the attack? What was it that they put in?

That opens possibility that others who were injured were implanted with it as well. Ordinary citizens might have died later from it, were killed in another demon attack before anything could develop, or were taken by the Order. Nero got his arm, but what if Kyrie has something developing in her or on her and is just better at hiding it (or simply takes longer to develop)?

So, could there be something in it or is it just a good fanfiction idea?

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Hmmm, could it be an test to see how demon/human Nero was? Or would those demons being people that, just Credo and other knights, were subject to demon experiments, but it failed on them?
Maybe was Agnus, by Sanctus request, who sent those demons to turn Kyrie into a demonic host, without Credo knowledge?
We can go on and on ...

Viper

Premium
Hmmm, could it be an test to see how demon/human Nero was? Or would those demons being people that, just Credo and other knights, were subject to demon experiments, but it failed on them?
Maybe was Agnus, by Sanctus request, who sent those demons to turn Kyrie into a demonic host, without Credo knowledge?
We can go on and on ...
It could have been a test, but somehow I don't see it being made by Agnus who, despite starting research into Nero's connection to Dante, was completely surprised at Nero's demon arm. I don't remember when that screenshot of his notes was taken, maybe the question Dante=Nero??? was thought up later, after seeing the arm.

Maybe it was Sanctus and someone he ordered without both Agnus and Credo knowing? The geezer certainly didn't spill the beans on everything he did and knew to those two, and he knew a lot about Nero.

Also, yes, Kyrie being so close to Nero could have marked her as a perfect person to convert to their side, but it had to be done in unconventional way cause she would never agree to anything else, and there was also danger Credo would find out.

I'm also trying to include Vergil somehow into this... Was he behind attack? If he is dead, did he perhaps manipulate demons by possessing them? The small fry seems weak enough for that.

Gel

Premium
I'm also trying to include Vergil somehow into this... Was he behind attack? If he is dead, did he perhaps manipulate demons by possessing them? The small fry seems weak enough for that.

If I remember well, DMC4 novel said Nero dreaming with a guy " a cold but yet tender stare" was quite recurrent .
Maybe Vergil want him to "wake up" to claim his blood inheritance ?! I guess we have to wait for DMC4 SE to know for sure.

Gel

Premium
This is an update: one of the knights called Josh, was killed during this incursion. DMC4 novel says so.

Viper

Premium
This is an update: one of the knights called Josh, was killed during this incursion. DMC4 novel says so.
His noble sacrifice will be forever remembered. *wipes a tear*

Does it say how he died?
I'm thinking maybe ordinary folks weren't the intended target, since they pulled out with slight injuries, and maybe demons were after young knights? Young as... Nero?

Viper

Premium
The same novel said not to be canon ?
Capcom was okay with it, so it's been agreed that the parts that do not directly contradict the game are taken as canon for time being.
Also, the attack in Mitis forest has been described in the booklet that came with the game.

Gel

Premium
In the novel's summary , it is described like this:
"A team of three knights was sent to help (Nero went there on his own) but one of them named Josh ended up dying while trying to shield Kyrie and the kids from a leaping Assault"

It seems Josh ended in pieces.Other thing, novel doesn't says how much time passed between Vergil's visit and Nero's appearance at orphanage, neither is said who left Nero there, but it doesn't says either it was a woman.

Viper

Premium
Well it had to be about nine months between the visit and them finding the newborn baby, otherwise Sanctus would not so likely come to the conclusion Nero was conceived on that island by Vergil, as he told Dante. Unless he is really bad at math.

Since all others got special names with certain meanings, it felt weird to me this kid got named Josh, so ordinary by today's standards, so I looked it up. Josh is short for Joshua, a Hebrew name meaning "Yahweh is salvation". Poor guy sort of lived up to that name.
In the Bible Joshua was one of twelve spies Moses sent into Canaan. After Moses dies, Joshua succeeded him as the leader. Doubt this is any relevant, except maybe spy part, since a dead person can't succeed anyone.
It was also said to be the real name of Jesus, as Jesus comes from Greek translation of Aramaic short form Yeshu'a.

Do I get a special trophy for looking too deep into things? XD

Or at least letting me off the hook for unintentional, couldn't edit anymore, double-posting?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gel

Premium
Sanctus just conclude Nero was Vergil's child because Vergil tells Sanctus indirectly he is a son of their God, Sparda.
Since Sanctus is now more sure than ever Nero has Sparda's blood, he just connected the dots.
See the following text:
"Back to present time, Sanctus told Nero this story in order to explain how he came to the conclusion that Nero was likely to be Sparda’s descendant. He was convinced that it was probably ‘that man’ from16-17 years old that might have impregnated a woman (a prostitute to be exact) in town and out came Nero who’s now 16-17 years old. "

Sanctus didn't even bother in using maths in his conclusions.

Top Bottom