• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The anime look?

Would you prefer:

• anime styled DmC game

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • western styled DmC game

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Hey kids. Let's rap for a second!:cool:

Now we've seen neoDante's clothes and hair and weapons for awhile, and NT said they were trying to be less Japanesey (That's right, Japanesy) and more street and western, but honestly, they make it look pretty anime-like on its own. And here's what I mean;

1.)Dante: Look at new Dante's clothes:
5681_110818093229_1.jpg

Consistant of a black hooded long coat, black faded skinny jeans (DMC1, 2, and 4 have worn skinny pants before) two handguns and a long sword on his back. I can name a few anime that follow the "Young protaganist with a sword and dresses like he's cosplaying something. His fighting style is basically air combos and most anime defy gravity like that, hell I wouldn't be suprised if neoDante starts going all "Sengoku Basara anime" on us and can fly around in Space and stuff. His attitude from what I've seen reminds me abit of Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach mixed with DMC1 Dante to make a "Dante Kurosaki" mix. Though he's not bishonen (Good-looking male) which is something different of the anime male character mix.

2.) The world:
tumblr_m1cr69NHzZ1qgy4n5.jpg

The entire world of this new game is pretty anime-thought of. Trust me, when it comes to anime, the limbo city is just childs play compared to what an anime world can become.
Anime+World-wallpaper_5157.jpg

3.)Story: The story sounds good from what I've seen, but it still feels a bit like an anime story. Tortured for his entire life, taking revenge, going on a journey, possibly fighting a brother, second to last boss, final boss then happy or sad ending. I wonder how the story will be though?

Anyway that's all I have to say.

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
I guess it sort of resembles anime in some ways.
Character design doesn't ( I don't think). The environments look pretty nice--honestly I can't tell between a regular anime environment and a regular western animation/game environment.
And at least the story doesn't say he has to defeat/collect seven enchanted plot devices to stop a character from obtaining demigodhood.
Yet.
I don't really know how to make Devil May Cry's story non-anime-esque.

Not that it's always a bad thing; it's just not something I can conceive of.

berto

I Saw the Devil
You do know that not all Japanese styles are anime, right? It doesn't have to be anime to have a Japanese flavor to it.

Railazel

You do know that not all Japanese styles are anime, right? It doesn't have to be anime to have a Japanese flavor to it.

But... why would they add a Japanese flavor to it when they explicitly stated they weren't going to do that?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I dont really see it as some of the things you mentioned arent really exclusive to anime as most of those things could be found in any american comic book.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
I would favor the anime over the western anyday.
(Im an obsessor of Japan.)
WHAT!? YOU FAVOR INUYASHA OVER PREDATOR
41787_214277156210_9019_n.jpg

But in all honesty I want less anime, while Inuyasha was great, the thing that killed it for me was the cheesy romance and sh*t

ZeroLove

They don't have to go all out western-style with this game, just enough to make some of the western gamers respond to it. They can still have some Japanese/animé styles and features to keep the game in its genre as an all out action-packed hack'n slash and to keep the Devil May Cry feel. The animé style is no longer just Japanese, it has become a world phenomenon and has had a great impact on the different cartoon styles all over the world, e.g. "Avatar: The Last Airbender" which is an American cartoon based on the animé style and "Wakfu" which is French. The Teen Titans cartoon is very animé-like as well. So animé is not a Japanese exclusive thing any longer.
That said, some Japanese animé can be too much for the western world, because of its excessiveness in some parts and it is not to everyone's taste, so instead of doing the exact different, Ninja Theory is just changing enough to make it work for western gamers as well.
Personally, I love animé and I'm a huge fan of many series and games that are typical Japanese in style, but at the same time, I can see why many are put off by it. The tricky thing is to find the balance to make it appeal to as many as possible and so far, I think Ninja Theory is doing their best to make that happen, though it is one hell of a task being put before them.

I don't want to choose between the two options above though. I don't prefer one over the other, I like it when the two get mixed up.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
just for the lulz, i want to see tetsuya nomura of kingdom hearts fame reboot dmc just to see what it would be like.

ZeroLove

just for the lulz, i want to see tetsuya nomura of kingdom hearts fame reboot dmc just to see what it would be like.

I can just imagine it. Goth-punk Dante with lots of zippers on his clothes and massive shoes. Mmmm. ;P

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Dragonmaster.You of all people should know that anime has no limitation.It can be either western or eastern.It depends on the GENRE......Just look at black lagoon.
And i think Ninja theory is trying to make DmC 50% japanese and 50%western.Another proof ot it is NeoDante's devil trigger and being half angel and half devil.Sound more like a typical anime.

Now instead of comparing the city you just posted.Why don't compare it to this:
gallery_04.jpg

I'm not gonna vote either to the two options.Like what zwei said,It's better that the two of them is mixed up.

Top Bottom