• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Talion: The Next Dante?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Cambions are out and Wraith Hybrids are in: This is Talion, a Middle-Earth ranger who'll most likely be the next big trendsetter in terms of game protagonists.

mesommeleecombatjpg-e972fd_640w-610x343.jpg

Badass.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/23/orcs-are-no-longer-the-scariest-thing-in-mordor

mesomnemesis-systemjpg-e972fe_640w-610x343.jpg

I know there's a Middle-Earth: Shadow of Morder thread somewhere out there, but this is a thread dedicated solely to Talion (and possibly his evil twin Malion).

Get it? 'Cause "mal" means "evil" -- ah, never mind.

Edit:

Last edited:

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Okay... first off, combat-wise it looks like what Assassin's Creed has been trying to do but failing a lot. By that, I mean in Assassin's Creed games there's usually a pattern when in combat and that kind of well, takes the fun out it after the twentieth fight. Also, the whole fixation of slow-mo after killing the last enemy really detaches the gameplay, kind of like the pause effect in the recent 2D Mario games when playing multiplayer. In this game, it appears to use similar things, but lets the player control everything. In a way, the Batman Arkham games, Sleeping Dogs, Remember Me, and even Sly Cooper - starting with the second game - lets you have a much faster paced combat system while still having an instance, the point when the game switches from free-roaming to combat.

Also, the game allows you crouch which for whatever reason, Assassin's Creed never had as a normal ability; you could only crouch in bushes and through a "special ability" in The Tyranny of King Washington. Really?

As for the character having another being inside him. This reminds me of the cancelled Legacy of Kain game, Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun. The main character was a new type of vampire, the Saradin, that feeds on souls instead of blood and through a freak accident, has his soul and mind as the dormant personality of the human he fed on, Asher. So, the game was supposed to have a human's perspective of a strange new world aided by his unlikely guide. It was also supposed to be on the PS4. Unfortunately, like all the previous attempts, it was canceled.

Anyway, on voice cast: Ratbag sounds like he is voiced by Steven Jay Blum with an English accent - can't say where in England. And oh great, Talion is voiced by Troy Baker. I guess he's going to be this generation's Nolan North. Come on developers, if you're going to use Troy, Nolan, etc., have them do more unique voices than typical hero Troy Baker and average guy Nolan North. At least Troy's role in The Last of Us and Nolan's role in Spec Ops: The Line and as Deadpool did something different with their natural voices. As for the Wraith, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Troy Baker using what he learned as Young Joker in Arkham Origins - now that's using his talents - to create a twisted, interesting, and memorable character/voice.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
As for the character having another being inside him. This reminds me of the cancelled Legacy of Kain game, Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun. The main character was a new type of vampire, the Saradin, that feeds on souls instead of blood and through a freak accident, has his soul and mind as the dormant personality of the human he fed on, Asher. So, the game was supposed to have a human's perspective of a strange new world aided by his unlikely guide.
Reminds me of Persona 4 Golden (which is the official canon version, I've heard), which is the first game I heard TB in. A phenomenal voice actor, in my humble opinion.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Reminds me of Persona 4 Golden (which is the official canon version, I've heard), which is the first game I heard TB in. A phenomenal voice actor, in my humble opinion.
Mine was Final Fantasy XIII for his natural voice and Darksiders for his voice range and even if they used voice-editing, it's still amazing what he can do. Sadly, the industry only wants his natural hero voice when he has more than that. They did it to Nolan North, Jennifer Hale, and Steve Blum. I think Ali Hillis is in this predicament as well.

Here's Nolan North as Vossler Azelas from Final Fantasy XII. You can hear his normal voice, but it's still awesome. Keith Ferguson, who played Basch fon Ronsenburg from the same game and Blooregard "Bloo" Q. Kazoo from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends can also do some wicked voices. Sadly, he doesn't get a lot of main roles. Oh well.

James Arnold Taylor is under contract so he can't really do much besides Ratchet from Ratchet & Clank, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and whatever his contract wants him to do, but if you have a guy as talented as him, why are you wasting it having him use his normal voice? Yes, I mention this video a lot.

Egoraptor aka Arin Hanson? The guy who did Metal Gear Awesome and is part of Game Grumps? Yeah, incredible voice actor but he had only one role as Bruce Banner in Marvel Ultimate Alliance and it was only in the PS3 and Wii versions. Well, that's what they said, but it's still unclear if it really did make it in. Here's him doing Toad from the Mario series. And here's him performing Powerhouse by Raymond Scott just with his voice. If he's not doing Game Grumps or needs a job for whatever reason, people should look for him since his range is so amazing.

On-topic: the game looks interesting so I'll keep an eye on it.

Top Bottom