• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sword arts for the Twins

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
While working on something I began to wonder something. What are the BEST sword fighting styles for Dante and Vergil?

Right now for Dante, I have

German School of Swordsmanship

Celtic Martial Arts

Fencing

and some Kenjutsu

For Vergil, I have

Kenjutsu

18 arms of Wushu

Haedong Kumdo

and Celtic Martial arts for the use of Force Edge

Any that don't belong? Any that I need to add?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Anyway... it's a given that Western Martial Arts/Historical European Martial Arts/Baritsu would be more Dante's thing (please, let's have him do a Sherlock "slo-mo-mind-reading-fight-scene" with Vergil), but I honestly think that Vergil would only use Martial Arts from Korea (Tae Kwon Do and Hwa Rang Do) and Japan (Koryu Bujutsu and Iaijutsu -- Samurai Martial Arts).

Seeing as how he more or less takes his philosophy (at least on a superficial anyway) from the "Nationalistic Pride of Japan" (which means "Yamato," more-or-less) he most likely wouldn't associate himself with any martial arts from China.

So why Korea? Because his katana-spinning and tornado kicks are very much inspired by that region... besides, a lot of Koreans who were born in Japan (they're no considered Japanese citizens because their parents are Korean) are in the Yakuza...

... Ergo, Vergil has an "appreciation" of both the dark and the traditional sides of Japan, defining him as a person of contrasts... much like Sparda, only more subtle.

----------------------------------------------------

As you can imagine, Japanese-born Koreans are more or less ostracized by "traditional Japanese society" (the older, more xenophobic generation) -- thus, they have no choice but to turn to a criminal life (like the Yakuza) in order to just put food on the table (let alone live a comfortable life).

Top Bottom