• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sucker punch new IP Ghost of Tsushima.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
If you're an absolute, rabid nut for Feudal Japan like I am, the PS4 has really become the ecstasy console. First Samurai Warriors, Sengoku Basara, Nioh, and now this game.

Good stuff. (Not gonna lie though---I got some major Tenchu vibes when he put on the mask).

WolfOD64

An open-world samurai game. F***ing finally.

And it's from the studio that made inFamous. So looking forward to it.
I mean...we've had open-world samurai games, like Yakuza Kenzan and Restoration, but those weren't ever released on this side of the world.

I really hope a proper, satisfactory combat system is worked into the game, and Sucker Punch doesn't just recycle the button-mashing mundanity of the Arkham/Mad Max/Shadow of Mordor/Assassin's Creed style that's EVERYWHERE in games these days.

That's the ONLY thing that would turn me off this game, and have me steer straight towards Nioh like this game doesn't even exist.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I do find it interesting that they're going for a 1200s setting as opposed to the typical Edo era that most samurai games go with.

I'm guessing from this trailer that the antagonists are the Chinese Yuan Army which invaded Kyūshū around that time.

WolfOD64

.I'm guessing from this trailer that the antagonists are the Chinese Yuan Army which invaded Kyūshū around that time.
They've stated that the invaders are the Mongols, which are attempting to overtake the Japanese mainland and overthrow the Emperor from their starting point at the coastal province of Tsushima, which lies between the mainland and the outskirts of Korea.

As someone who's read extensively about the Mongol Invasions of Japan, I already know that this conflict really doesn't play out well for the invading army by war's end. The developers were smart in selecting a war from Japan's history that wasn't an internal conflict like the Warring States or the Genpei War, with no clear separation of "heroes and villains". Here, the invading army is clearly a force that can be antagonized as villains in the narrative.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
They've stated that the invaders are the Mongols, which are attempting to overtake the Japanese mainland and overthrow the Emperor from their starting point at the coastal province of Tsushima, which lies between the mainland and the outskirts of Korea.
Apologies for wording it awkwardly, but that is indeed what I imagined.

That does raise an interesting question, Tsushima is small - last I checked it only had around 6 towns before they merged to make one city. So if it is indeed Open World like SP claim, then maybe we'll be able to travel around the neighbouring islands?

berto

I Saw the Devil
You know, it's a bit funny how much games like this strike people's interest and yet Capcom doesn't want to make another OniMusha, quite possible the most iconic Samurai series I know.

As for this game I'm definitely interested but I rather have more on it before I invest my interest. I want to see what it'll play like, what the game is about and what it really looks like in motion. Also, for games like this, that take place in a locale where they don't speak English I tend to want a native language track. Ever play Remember Me with the French audio? Grounds it a bit more. Unfortunately it doesn't always work. The Metro games in Russian are hard to follow with all the dialogue being easy to miss outside of cutscenes. Still, I want the option to play a game set in Feudal Japan in Japanese, I always hated that about the OniMusha games. Especially in 3 since I love Jean Reno and Takeshi Kaneshiro and those were not their voices! We know, you used the real men for like 3 lines and then switched to another set of actors.

Last edited:

Goldsickle

Especially in 3 since I love Jean Reno and Takeshi Kaneshiro and those were not their voices! We know, you used the real men for like 3 lines and then switched to another set of actors.
Is that how it is even in the Japanese version?

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I reserve my judgement till gameplay, but overall looks nice. Also something that finally not dealing with Sengoku timeline.

Goldsickle

I wouldn't know. I've never played the Japanese version, can't think of how I would.
If I'm not wrong, Jean Reno voiced both his French and Japanese lines in the Japanese version, since he's fluent in both languages.

WolfOD64

Still, I want the option to play a game set in Feudal Japan in Japanese, I always hated that about the OniMusha games. Especially in 3 since I love Jean Reno and Takeshi Kaneshiro and those were not their voices! We know, you used the real men for like 3 lines and then switched to another set of actors.
If you want to play the entire Onimusha saga in Japanese with English subs, all you need to do is import the Japanese PS2 versions. Capcom actually enabled switching between English/Japanese voices and text for those releases, and locked out the Japanese voice acting for the Western releases to avoid paying any royalties to the Japanese cast members.

Just a little tip from someone who imports a ton. :wink:

berto

I Saw the Devil
If you want to play the entire Onimusha saga in Japanese with English subs, all you need to do is import the Japanese PS2 versions. Capcom actually enabled switching between English/Japanese voices and text for those releases, and locked out the Japanese voice acting for the Western releases to avoid paying any royalties to the Japanese cast members.

Just a little tip from someone who imports a ton. :wink:
That's not entirely true. I know for a fact that the Japanese version of RE4 only has Japanese text. Same for all DMC games on the PS2

I just found the information online and OniMusha games do, infact, have full English Support, but Japanese PS2s are both rare and a bit expensive. Not sure when I'd get around to buying one along with a copy.
http://www.gaijingamers.com/showthread.php?t=234&s=d1f18c2f712e1e980dd9282641fd3658

If I'm not wrong, Jean Reno voiced both his French and Japanese lines in the Japanese version, since he's fluent in both languages.
Very talented man, that one. I've seen him perform in a multitude of languages, including one middle Eastern.

WolfOD64

That's not entirely true. I know for a fact that the Japanese version of RE4 only has Japanese text. Same for all DMC games on the PS2
I was referring to all releases within the main Onimusha series. The international changes for their worldwide releases have always been botched, with Dawn of Dreams being the worst offender. Its Western release was actually altered mechanically, and had longer health meters for the bosses and enemies...rendering the gameplay to tedious, removing the strategic elements and crippling the arrangement of foe encounters, button-mashy mundanity...all to make the game "easier" and "less complicated" for Western audiences. You play the unaltered Japanese release, and it's like playing an entirely different game.

I just found the information online and OniMusha games do, infact, have full English Support, but Japanese PS2s are both rare and a bit expensive. Not sure when I'd get around to buying one along with a copy.
I modded my PS2 slim with a Flip-Top, got some Swap Magic discs, and never looked back. I still import using that method. Also, getting a Japanese PS2--or getting a Japanese ANYTHING, really---from an Amercian seller, is bound to be overpriced due to it being a foreign novelty. You go onto Amazon Japan, and you'll find PS2's from the $28-30 range. It's a commonplace system over there.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I was referring to all releases within the main Onimusha series. The international changes for their worldwide releases have always been botched, with Dawn of Dreams being the worst offender. Its Western release was actually altered mechanically, and had longer health meters for the bosses and enemies...rendering the gameplay to tedious, removing the strategic elements and crippling the arrangement of foe encounters, button-mashy mundanity...all to make the game "easier" and "less complicated" for Western audiences. You play the unaltered Japanese release, and it's like playing an entirely different game.
Fascinating. Unsurprising but still interesting.

I modded my PS2 slim with a Flip-Top, got some Swap Magic discs, and never looked back. I still import using that method. Also, getting a Japanese PS2--or getting a Japanese ANYTHING, really---from an American seller, is bound to be overpriced due to it being a foreign novelty. You go onto Amazon Japan, and you'll find PS2's from the $28-30 range. It's a commonplace system over there.
I just downloaded the Japanese ISO. Seemed the least complicated method. The issue is that I can't find any hint of an English option on the game. I checked on PS2 but there was kinda no point to it and since it has no language options there anyway, and the system is already set to English, (I doubt the game has Spanish options, anyway). Basically I can't change the text and subtitles in the Japanese version.

Last edited:

WolfOD64

I just downloaded the Japanese ISO. Seemed the least complicated method. The issue is that I can't find any hint of an English option on the game. I checked on PS2 but there was kinda no point to it and since it has no language options there anyway, and the system is already set to English, (I doubt the game has Spanish options, anyway). Basically I can't change the text and subtitles in the Japanese version.
The only game in the series I've tested it with is Dawn of Dreams, but it should be there in the options somewhere. Gaijin Gamer states that all the Onimusha games have this option. Just cycle through the Options until you find the Kanji character for "Eigo" or "English language" which looks like this: 英語

Top Bottom