• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Style over Substance

IncarnatedDemon

I've caught this phrase around Gaming industry corners on internett.

It seems by style they are refering to gameplay
and with Substance they are refering to Story

Assuming my perception of these two words is not incorrect.

Isn't a video games substance the gameplay? So how can a game who focuses on gameplay alot and little on story be "Style over Substance"?

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
I would think that substance is more then just story, it would likely be everything that makes an overall good game experience by extension style doesn't really mean gameplay strictly, but the way the game as a whole is presented.

For instance, you could argue that Bayonetta is presented stylishly but unless you're able to get a good hold of it's gameplay mechanics, you'd feel it's a game that puts emphasis on style over substance.

Heck even if you do, it's story isn't deep or anything and unless you're dedicated to making combo videos and aiming for the highest score you can, then it's not really substantial as a game but DAMN is it stylish.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
It means

It looks good at first glance and is 'well packaged', but after playing it you realized you got a bloated/cliched/recycled/poorly made/soulless object that you wish you hadn't paid for.

Or otherwise - as with Hollywood - as I understand the term myself - it's something presented with glossy, lovely visuals (the style) but brings nothing new or interesting to the table.

Actually I think a hell of a lot is style over substance these days and it annoys me a lot. But it wouldn't happen if people didn't keep buying it.

Rayl

It means

It looks good at first glance and is 'well packaged', but after playing it you realized you got a bloated/cliched/recycled/poorly made/soulless object that you wish you hadn't paid for.

Or otherwise - as with Hollywood - as I understand the term myself - it's something presented with glossy, lovely visuals (the style) but brings nothing new or interesting to the table.

Actually I think a hell of a lot is style over substance these days and it annoys me a lot.

I disagree, it CAN mean that but that's incredibly unfair a description, your meaning implies substance > style when both should be strived for.

Substance without any style to it is only half the package.

Granted there are exceptions, but i don't think neither should be ignored.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
What can I say? I like a lot of 80s movies. Not aiming to be fair.

Rayl

tumblr_mfprkgiMu91r21swvo1_400.gif

IncarnatedDemon

But considering the core of videogames is the gameplay, wouldn't a game like Metal Gear Rising be Substance over Style?

I watched a review where someone described MGR as such. And it makes me go "WHAT?! u mean opposite right?".

Rayl

But considering the core of videogames is the gameplay, wouldn't a game like Metal Gear Rising be Substance over Style?

I watched a review where someone described MGR as such. And it makes me go "WHAT?! u mean opposite right?".

The reason why people say MGR is style over substance is because of how over the top it is, be it during gameplay or it's cinematics, they aren't really looking at Rising's technicalities.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Style - Michael Bay
Substance - Christopher Nolan

Odd comparison in a video game thread i know but this is honestly the best thing i can think of when it comes to style and substance. The style and substance phrase is not applicable only in video games anyway but all kinds of fiction such as TV shows, movies, comics, anime etc.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Style - Michael Bay
Substance - Christopher Nolan.
Wrong its :-

Christopher Nolan = Absolute Pretentiousness

A good example of a substance in movies would be Alfred Hitchcock or if you want a modern example steve speliberg.

I personally think that Chris nolan's movies are just pretentious and lumped up with awkward disjointed confusing script.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I feel the OP is talking about a completely different argument called "form vs Content" which is should the medium(form) be more important than the story (content)?

for me the medium has a bit more importance as you should always look to the medium in how to tell the story. They should be equals not enemies.

Rayl

for me the medium has a bit more importance as you should always look to the medium in how to tell the story. They should be equals not enemies.

Something i've been saying since the start, you can't get anywhere without looking to both.

Top Bottom