• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Streamlining Dante

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Been thinking on that for a while, thought I'd put it here for opinions.
How would you go about simplifying/streamlining Dante's control scheme?
  • I'd put weapon switching on the D-Pad (since I thought it worked well in DmC)
  • I'd cut Royal Guard and Trickster (that way switching between Gunslinger and Swordmaster is still on the D-Pad).
  • That way we have 2 shoulder buttons free, one of those could be used for Guarding, and another could either be used for taunting.
  • Trickster moves would be upgrades to Dante's basic evasiv manuevers (Dash replacing dodge roll etc.)
  • Optionally I'd put 2 Styles on one Button (Royal Guard/Trickster for up and Gunslinger/Swordmaster for down)
So give me your thoughts, how would you do it?

Goldsickle

"Styles" was just a makeshift method to regulate Dante's large arsenal of moves.
They should abolish it altogether and think of a method from the ground up to have all of Dante's moves available without the need to toggle "modes".
The only thing that needs toggling are the weapons.

Some moves are redundant and should be compacted.
Does Dante really need two different "rising uppercut" moves? (Divine Dragon and Real Impact)
DmC kinda fixed this by just compacting both moves into one (Uppercut).

5th/6th generation "Survival Horror" games called.
They want their "walk slowly while holding R1" stance back.
There is absolutely no reason for Dante to slow the f*** down when locking on to the enemy.
Once again, DmC Definitive did this right by allowing Dante to run around while focused on a selected enemy.
Stingers are actually more fluid this way.

Some people might bring up Vergil's "focus" mechanic to justify all that "walk slowly while R1 is held" but that's like giving damage bonuses to Chris and Jill (from Resident Evil) if players only use tank controls or something.
Creating a mechanic that gives you bonuses if you use clunky controls is an artificial way of trying to make it relevant.

Get rid of "lock-on dependency" for all the signature moves.
You need to specifically tilt the stick the character's left or right to side-roll?
Why can't I just tilt any direction I want and roll that way?

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
"Styles" was just a makeshift method to regulate Dante's large arsenal of moves.
They should abolish it altogether and think of a method from the ground up to have all of Dante's moves available without the need to toggle "modes".
The only thing that needs toggling are the weapons.

Some moves are redundant and should be compacted.
Does Dante really need two different "rising uppercut" moves? (Divine Dragon and Real Impact)
DmC kinda fixed this by just compacting both moves into one (Uppercut).

5th/6th generation "Survival Horror" games called.
They want their "walk slowly while holding R1" stance back.
There is absolutely no reason for Dante to slow the f*** down when locking on to the enemy.
Once again, DmC Definitive did this right by allowing Dante to run around while focused on a selected enemy.
Stingers are actually more fluid this way.

Some people might bring up Vergil's "focus" mechanic to justify all that "walk slowly while R1 is held" but that's like giving damage bonuses to Chris and Jill (from Resident Evil) if players only use tank controls or something.
Creating a mechanic that gives you bonuses if you use clunky controls is an artificial way of trying to make it relevant.

Get rid of "lock-on dependency" for all the signature moves.
You need to specifically tilt the stick the character's left or right to side-roll?
Why can't I just tilt any direction I want and roll that way?
I for k e prefer walking slowly while locking on, it makes my ready for incoming attacks. I understand what you mean, most games let you move freely while locking on now but DMC used lock on as a lock on but also as a ready stance in my opinion, you originally needed to avoid a lot of attacks with good timing akin to the first ninja gaiden reboot. But other games are far less timing centric and are Much more lenient with taking damage and dying. In DMC1 if you died u needed to restart the whole mission and taking a hit meant a lot more since you rarely got green orbs

Top Bottom