• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Story vs gameplay

Story and gameplay percentages

• 10% Story - 90% gameplay

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 20% Story - 80% gameplay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30% Story - 70% Gameplay

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 40% Story - 60% Gameplay

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 50% Story - 50 % Gameplay

• 60% Story - 40 % Gameplay

• 70% Story - 30 % Gameplay

• 80% Story - 20 % Gameplay

• 90 % Story - 10 % Gameplay

• Total voters

aoshi

Hi,

Though DMC is a gameplay driven game, I find a lot of criticism on DMC lacking in story(*cough*DMC4*cough*). So how much percentage of story and gameplay would you prefer?
I tried playing arcade games(which have story with jus an prologue and ending(Tekken 5)) which had gameplay more concentrated , like knowing move lists, and gameplay skills like juggling. Since DMC too is in such genre(sort of with gameplay concentrated though not strictly speaking) where we upgrade skills and concentrate on gameplay, why not give gameplay the leverage?

I am ignoring other departments in games like characters (which can be good with a bad story), I am jus goin by story to gameplay percentage on a 100% scale.

Or, include characters in story department,Thats fine too.

EDIT: This percentage is for action/adventure genre of games.

Meg

I can enjoy a game with no/little story from time to time, but I really play games for the story. Even if the story isn't that special, just being able to have story interaction is really cool for me.

GF9000000Returns

IMO, a game needs to have balance, so with that being said, I choose either the 50/50 or 40/60, but I chose the 50/50 option.

ZeroLove

I enjoy a game with a good story and good gameplay, but it depends on the game. E.g. I am a big fan of fighting games which are notoriously known for having little to no story in them except for maybe an intro and some endings. Mortal Kombat did a great job with making a cool storyline along with some really good gameplay and it has kinda set a new standard within fighting games. So now I start to expect a good Story Mode for fighting games as well.

Sometimes Action-Adventure games and RPG's however can have a great storyline, but mediocre, non-original gameplay which is sometimes excusable as long the story is really good. But of course I prefer the games with both good story AND good gameplay.

And then there are the party games which you can enjoy with your friends. They don't really need a story. E.g. Playstation All Stars Battle Royale, one of the games I've had many hours of fun playing with my friends and it has little to no story except for the small cutscenes which are a weak attempt to make an excuse for why the different characters are fighting eachother. But that's because the game doesn't NEED any story. It's a party game!

All in all, I prefer my single-player games to be heavy with storyline and I generally want some good gameplay as well, but I'm not all that picky. To make some examples, Ninja Theory's Heavenly sword and Enslaved aren't all that great gameplay wise, but still fun games to play and I think the stories lifts it up quite a bit. Capcom's Asura's Wrath is also more or less an interactive movie which is of course heavily based on the story, and when a game is like that, the story HAS to be awesome!

So yeah, it depends on the game.

aoshi

When it's an action title then why bog it down with story, it's an action title your suppose to be part of the action. Not just sitting by watching it.

That's the thing that made me create this thread. May be i should have been specific that the discussion was for action/adventure games(like DMC).

I find a lot of criticism that DMC lacks in story when the series is driven by gameplay. Atleast from DMC 3 onwards. Which is why the series is critically acclaimed. But why is story a con in DMC???? I wonder.

EDIT: Yes, DMC 3 had the best story telling experience. May be cuz i like inu yasha and animes with swords. But why is every DMC game need to have a compelling story like DMC 3?

DMC 4 as a stand alone game is a great game and has great gameplay. But is still discredited cuz story was not compelling.Why?

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
LOL I won't compromise 1% of gameplay for some sloppy story

DMC 1 had a cheesy story but it worked because its atmosphere and Gameplay was so RAD

I HATE Dialogs anyway unless its a really good story Driven RPG i don't want any kind of story cutsenes bothering me for more then 2 minutes

> Just Make Dante a Badass he was supposed to be in DMC 1

> Give him a badass Dark story centered ONLY ON DANTE (DMC1) JUST READ MY fan-fiction CAPCOM ! i can make a better story I SWEAR !

> Make him talk less Nonsesne give him his attitude of gregory peck

> Remove the Cheesy Anime graphics replace it with Resident evil/Castlevania Creepy Goth Artwork

> Bring in the Gore I want to see some blood,some gruesome death scenes

> Make the weapon system more balanced&varied DMC 4's Weapons SUCKED IMO only Lucifer was cool

> Make the cutscenes for like 2-5 minutes not any longer then that extra jibber-jabber is unwanted

If they listen to my complains and make a game i'm SOLD !

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Hi,

Though DMC is a gameplay driven game, I find a lot of criticism on DMC lacking in story(*cough*DMC4*cough*). So how much percentage of story and gameplay would you prefer?
I tried playing arcade games(which have story with jus an prologue and ending(Tekken 5)) which had gameplay more concentrated , like knowing move lists, and gameplay skills like juggling. Since DMC too is in such genre(sort of with gameplay concentrated though not strictly speaking) where we upgrade skills and concentrate on gameplay, why not give gameplay the leverage?

I am ignoring other departments in games like characters (which can be good with a bad story), I am jus goin by story to gameplay percentage on a 100% scale.

Or, include characters in story department,Thats fine too.

EDIT: This percentage is for action/adventure genre of games.
I dont think you should quantify how much story should be put into a game because if you wanna tell a story than just tell me a story without worrying about the percentages.

You shouldn't have to sacrifice one for the other. Gameplay should take priority because it is a game but you could use the gameplay to tell a story the same way you use the panels of a comic to tell that story.

That's the thing that made me create this thread. May be i should have been specific that the discussion was for action/adventure games(like DMC).

I find a lot of criticism that DMC lacks in story when the series is driven by gameplay. Atleast from DMC 3 onwards. Which is why the series is critically acclaimed. But why is story a con in DMC???? I wonder.

EDIT: Yes, DMC 3 had the best story telling experience. May be cuz i like inu yasha and animes with swords. But why is every DMC game need to have a compelling story like DMC 3?

DMC 4 as a stand alone game is a great game and has great gameplay. But is still discredited cuz story was not compelling.Why?

I think its cause fans were looking more for answers to long-standing questions that they didn't receive and this game was too stand-alone as it didn't tie into the other games that well.

there are other reasons but that covers the core of the problem, i think.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
For me it would depend on the game. If the characters are interesting enough, I would like more story to flesh them out. But other games I feel like I'm playing an interactive movie and it's not so fun.

Top Bottom