• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sports is outdated.

aka958

Don't trust people
How long have we gone running over the same fields of grass kicking a ball into a goal?

They should totally do something with the sports industry, it is lackluster like hell.

I'm sorry boi's and gal's, I just wanted to do this topic. So many complains about games being the same when so much else is pretty much the same for so long. The gaming industry is huge with lots of variety, why does it need like 500 different types of genres, stories, concept, etc?

I'm just wondering. :\

Meg

^ I think he's just being ironic. :/

Well, to be fair I don't think that's a good analogy. Each and every time you watch or play a sport what happens is different. No two sporting events are alike while it is very common for two video games to be alike. Look at all the CoD copy cats.

And yes its true that many other industries have a lot of the same stuff in them, but this is a game forum so naturally there are going to be more discussion about games. :3

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
^I agree with Meg.

Its a bit like a video game. No one forces you to buy or play it. So with sports, you don't have to watch it.

KRSkull

actually i am going to take AKA's side on this. it is like making a veg pizza. it doesn't matter of you put the onion before the tomato or you put it after it because you will end up having a veg pizza.

aka958

Don't trust people
Meg;289285 said:
^ I think he's just being ironic. :/

Well, to be fair I don't think that's a good analogy. Each and every time you watch or play a sport what happens is different. No two sporting events are alike while it is very common for two video games to be alike. Look at all the CoD copy cats.

And yes its true that many other industries have a lot of the same stuff in them, but this is a game forum so naturally there are going to be more discussion about games. :3

No.

Handball, two goals, you shoot with your hands instead of your feet like in soccer.

Ping pong, badminton, tennis all have about the same concept.

Actually, as much as I hate FPS games and their repetetive play I consider it to be alot more varied than sport which tire me to death.

Every match can be different when playing the actual sport? What, you think every match in the games are exactly the same? I cannot understand your thinking here... But I would gladly try to understand though.

Sports, is kind of always the same. Games varies. I doesn't vary like after one year we got several new gaming ideas and all. It takes more time than that, use a formula, keep it updated and enhanced with sequels, add a good story, etc.
Games hasn't had much improvement in certain areas lately, while other had good improvements. But still, even if gaming had so-so improvement lately while sports has been stale for years it is gaming that get most critics.

Is it just gamers that tires of a formula easily or is it the sports fans who are really hard core die hard fans? :huh:

Vergil'sB*tch;289291 said:
^I agree with Meg.

Its a bit like a video game. No one forces you to buy or play it. So with sports, you don't have to watch it.

Complaints about video games. Why don't those people just stop buying and playing the games? Why just complain and complain?

Complaint with sports, I would just stay away from it, I don't know a soul who wouldn't. But of course, I've never liked sports in the first place.

Meg

Yes there are a lot of sports that are similar to one another, but games are programed a certain way. In 99% of games the AI will act/react in mostly the same way. In sports however, each game plays out differently because people react differently to each situation.

And if you never liked sports in the first place then don't you think that would effect your judgment? I dislike football. To me it is just a bunch of guys ramming into one another. I much prefer baseball because it is a deep thinking man's game.

aka958

Don't trust people
Meg;289305 said:
Yes there are a lot of sports that are similar to one another, but games are programed a certain way. In 99% of games the AI will act/react in mostly the same way. In sports however, each game plays out differently because people react differently to each situation.

And if you never liked sports in the first place then don't you think that would effect your judgment? I dislike football. To me it is just a bunch of guys ramming into one another. I much prefer baseball because it is a deep thinking man's game.

There are no multiplayer games? Why do you exclude them? Most of those repetetive boring games are usually multiplayer.
The A.I acting the same? Give me one scenario that has happened to you that was the same in two games.

No it don't effect my judgement because I hate the repetetiveness of games as well. I hate MMO's, FPS's, TPS's, Sims games, Pokémon games, add a full list of other games. I'm really a big critic when it comes to which games I play.

Meg

I didn't including multiplayer games because not all games have multiplayer and because online it doesn't get as repetitive as single player. Which leads me to my next point. Games are programed. There is a limit to what the AI can and can't do while real people can react in many different ways.

aka958

Don't trust people
Meg;289312 said:
I didn't including multiplayer games because not all games have multiplayer and because online it doesn't get as repetitive as single player. Which leads me to my next point. Games are programed. There is a limit to what the AI can and can't do while real people can react in many different ways.

Have you ever played a game so much you've seen everything the A.I has up their sleeve?

I've played Devil May Cry 4 for so long, I still see new strategies that the A.I uses.

I've played Dissidia: Final Fantasy for an uncountable time, I still get surprising attacks from the A.I, which also has a really narrow moveset it is incredible.

Meg

Yes in fact I have. And its not alllll games, but in the vast majority of games the AI will be in the same spot and have a set amount of moves. Whether or not you've seen all the moves in irrelevant. AI can't learn anything new unless the developers release new content. People can.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
how about this: while table tennis, tennis, and handball may be similar; that's a very short sighted way to go about it. how do you compare (nonamerican)football? rugby? basketball? golf? tennis? volleyball? racing? paintball? swimming? skiiing? skateboarding? baseball? jai alai?

sports are extremely varied in that if you get bored of watching one, you can just watch another. in video games there just fewer genres and more variation within the genre. it's not better, really. just organized differently.

Meg

Well said. Only problem is that I only really like baseball, so I'm out of luck during the rest of the year. :lol:

aka958

Don't trust people
cheezMcNASTY;289316 said:
how about this: while table tennis, tennis, and handball may be similar; that's a very short sighted way to go about it. how do you compare (nonamerican)football? rugby? basketball? golf? tennis? volleyball? racing? paintball? swimming? skiiing? skateboarding? baseball? jai alai?

sports are extremely varied in that if you get bored of watching one, you can just watch another. in video games there just fewer genres and more variation within the genre. it's not better, really. just organized differently.

So instead of someone kicking the ball, hitting the ball, smashing the ball, throwing the ball, striking the ball, tackle for the ball, etc? Of course they DO have different rules, but they stay at the same set of stage all the time, they follow exactly the same rules all the time.

There are what kind of sports?
Riding sports, such as horses, skateboards, bikes, etc. Driving sports, cars, scooters, boats, etc.
Ball sports, like the majority of those you listed.
Fighting sports.
What more? I'm not a big sports fan so I can't list them all from the top of my head.

The funny thing is, there are games for most of those, although the ball games is not like it's counterparts. After seeing that green football field you've seen the last tens and thousands of times people have been playing football don't you grow even a little tired of it's terrain?

The games genres:

Role Playing Games (in general, I won't divide it)
Massive multiplayer online
Sport
Family
First person shooters
Third person shooters
Platform
Arcade
Fighting games (this could go to the sports section but I'm thinking about the more unrealistic ones)
Car games (this could go to the sports section but I'm thinking about the more unrealistic ones)
Real time strategy
Strategy

Let's not forget all the hybrid games which follows more than one genre. Maybe sports have those too though.

Games usually differs with different terrain too just to please our visual sight too. The sports games maybe stays the same wih the plain fields and such but the other games has all kinds of terrains and environments for not getting repetetive.

Meg

Some of the sports you lump together are very different. Riding a horse is very different from a skateboard and requires different skills for example.

aka958

Don't trust people
Meg;289326 said:
Some of the sports you lump together are very different. Riding a horse is very different from a skateboard and requires different skills for example.

I lumped together RPG's and MMO's, I forgot to mention hack'n'slash games and adventure games.

But everyone, I'm making this clear if someone thinks different. I'm NOT bashing sports, I'm just using it as a comparison since it doesn't get hate for being the same all the time while gaming does get alot of hate when it does for a few years.

Meg

How did you lump them together? All you did was list different game genres. That's not lumping while put two very unlike things in the same category because they have a small similarity, in this case you ride something, is.

And I understand you aren't trying to bash sports and am just trying to make a point. No worries. :)

aka958

Don't trust people
Meg;289337 said:
How did you lump them together? All you did was list different game genres. That's not lumping while put two very unlike things in the same category because they have a small similarity, in this case you ride something, is.

And I understand you aren't trying to bash sports and am just trying to make a point. No worries. :)

RPG's:
JRPG's (including the tactics genre, turn based genre, real time genre)
Western RPG's (including the tactics genre, and the huge open RPG worlds that western rpg's are famous for)

MMO's:
MMORPG
MMOFPS
Those are the ones I know of.

It was Justin Case, so you know.

Meg

*shrugs* Well that's my opinion. I think sports have more variety than games.

I think its agree to disagree time. Unless you have something else to add?

aka958

Don't trust people
Meg;289344 said:
*shrugs* Well that's my opinion. I think sports have more variety than games.

I think its agree to disagree time. Unless you have something else to add?

Uhmm... well... gaming offer alot more visual variety for sure, that is 100% guaranteed unless you play some boring generic game, or if it is compared to a sport that is outside of an arena.

Sports, costs a bunch to play? Or... some sports costs much to play.
Gaming... costs alot to play as well, but in comparison to some sports it is dirt cheap. xP

Well, I agree to agree to disagree.

Top Bottom