• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sparda's heritages ?

DmcJACKPOT

Let's rock!
When Sparda died, he left Dante & Vergil his keepsake swords : Yamato and Rebellion. Yamato may has been intentionally left for Vergil cuz he was the older brother. What's about Rebellion? My question is : ''How come there so much differences between Yamato and Rebellion ?''. So far I've only know Rebellion for magical enhancement( durability, sharp, create shockwave from strong swing) and why didn't Sparda make it similar to Yamato ?

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
When Sparda died, he left Dante & Vergil his keepsake swords : Yamato and Rebellion. Yamato may has been intentionally left for Vergil cuz he was the older brother. What's about Rebellion? My question is : ''How come there so much differences between Yamato and Rebellion ?''. So far I've only know Rebellion for magical enhancement( durability, sharp, create shockwave from strong swing) and why didn't Sparda make it similar to Yamato ?

there is no real answer to that question, however i think it has something to do with how it is forged and the properties they possess. rebellion and yamato were forged by sparda for Dante and Vergil (this much we know) i guess they were a gift like a brithday present doesnt matter. now these swords are each linked to Dante and Vergil respectively. as such we see that dante can control rebellion with his mind (when he throws it and it returns) we know this as the discription of the move in DMC4 talked about something on the lines of telepathy.

the forms of the swords(i think) reflect the person weilding them. rebellion like dante is larger than life, strong and unyielding. while yamato is sensible and logical, yet the blade is stretched a little too far,much like Vergil. also when dante first awakens his DT in DMC3 we see rebellion "scream" indicating its linked to dante. in DMC4 we see yamato shattered, agnus could not restore it despite his vast skills (we know he can transmute the power of sparda from the savior). i think this is because yamato cannot function without Vergil. now that Vergil is gone it is like yamatto is mising a core piece that everything else is built around. capcom said they planned to make nero the son of Vergil a while back, so it fits. nero has vergils blood so yamato was able to bind to him. i imagine in DMC5 they would have yamato go through a transformation when nero controled it properly making it more gothic styled (but still a katana)

berto

I Saw the Devil
It occured to me once that maybe Saprda didn't actually give his swords to his sons but rather the swords sought out the sons. Each weapon is almost custome made foreach of them, so the weapon that thought itself suitable for ether of the sons and became a mirror of their souls. Just a thought.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Well, some of the swords do 'morph' in shape at times in the series. ForceEdge, Rebellion do, according to their function. Yamato apparently didn't, but it shows that the shapes are not static. They might yet be a reflection of sorts of their wielders, though clearly Vergil is not a mini-Sparda, he wasn't driven by the same things Sparda was, and Yamato did not change at all to reflect that.

I assume Sparda didn't make all of those swords but acquired them from the Underworld, as there are many demonic weapons floating around that were not in his possession; and so Yamato just enabled a different style to a broadsword, and that he used various kinds of swords over time. Not sure why Dante and Vergil ended up with their respective blades, but they suit their personalities... if we're going to talk 'what if', they might simply have chosen the swords they thought looked the coolest.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Actually, Yamato was a black sword in DMC1.

The metal blade itself looks normal to me, only the saya/tsuba/tsuka is different in DMC1, and the saya is still black?

But there's minor differences yea, more gold on the handle and guard parts and some on the scabbard. Small aesthetic changes I guess, given that the sword is shown more closely in DMC3. I think it's longer in DMC3 as well compared to Vergil's sprite (and of course its reach is ridiculous compared to DMC1)

Top Bottom