• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So why DMC 4 wasn't on PS2 ?

dg1995

I've heard a long time ago that itsuno has said that PS2 couldn't handle the Devil Bringer mechanic.

But it sounds weird for me since Devil Bringer only had 2 moves.(Pulling and grabbing and that defense move was similar to grabbing that gets paused.)

And in DMC 3 lady's weapon had a pulling move for it.(Which worked like Devil Bringer but it was slower similar to the way that it's slower in DMC 4 SE compare to normal devil bringer.)

Imo it doesn't sound like a good excuse.(Not saying that I want a DMC 4 on PS2, It's just that why he didn't say "DMC 4 is the next gen game so it's going to be released on next gen consoles only.")

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I've heard a long time ago that itsuno has said that PS2 couldn't handle the Devil Bringer mechanic.

But it sounds weird for me since Devil Bringer only had 2 moves.(Pulling and grabbing and that defense move was similar to grabbing that gets paused.)
If you pay attention to the final game (released as DMC4), you would realize why. The reason is physics. PS2 could do a lot of things, but there were limitations - and it shows through DMC1, 2 and yes, 3. Have you noticed that the AI reacts the same in 90% of the attacks you do to enemies in DMC1, 2, and 3? It's because if you had something like Devil Bringer in PS2, it wouldn't respond the same way it would've been if it had been released as a PS3/Xbox 360 title... On top of this, the Devil Bringer was allowed to grab larger enemies which needed more processing power for the AI and physics. Coding a video game isn't as easy as doing it out of your basement, ya know.
And in DMC 3 lady's weapon had a pulling move for it.(Which worked like Devil Bringer but it was slower similar to the way that it's slower in DMC 4 SE compare to normal devil bringer.)
This is more because of the character, than a coding issue.
Imo it doesn't sound like a good excuse.(Not saying that I want a DMC 4 on PS2, It's just that why he didn't say "DMC 4 is the next gen game so it's going to be released on next gen consoles only.")
It was a perfectly good excuse. Just because something behaves the same on older consoles, doesn't mean the mechanics could've done better on older consoles. A perfect example of this would be God of War 3. Would you be able to put GOW3 in PS2?

*laughs* No!

Top Bottom