• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So, I started playing Devil May Cry 1

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I got the HD collection near Christmas (so I'll be playing DMC2 and number 3 afterwards). I figured since I've played the demo, there's no harm if I get into the originals a little earlier than I meant to. And I'm kinda not a DMC virgin anymore, so...ta daaa! :lol:

I'm really enjoying the first game, it reminds me of DmC but a lot of Resident Evil as well. Combat is just as fun and the sound effects on the weapons make it a thrill to kick some puppet ass. It practically feels like playing an older version of DmC...even though it kinda is, but you get my point ^_^

The only things that bug me a little are the mission complete menu that keep popping up after only about a few minutes playing, and an auto save might've helped a tiny bit. Other than that, I'm liking this game, makes me question why the hell people are making such a fuss over the reboot.

Although, there was one little...

---

Game: Hey there, congratulations on completing your first mission. Just wanted to let you know from here on out you can select 'Easy Mode' which gives you tons of cool moves and makes the game that much easier to play :w00t: so what do ya say? Easy Mode?
Acorn: Hmmm...nah, I'm ok :3

---

Game: Well done! You've completed another mission. But if you want to switch to Easy Mode anytime, anytime at all, you give me a buzz.
Acorn: Erm, thanks for the reminder o_o I guess.

---

Game: Hey again, just saw you died back there during that spider boss. Ya know if you wanna switch to Easy Mode all you have to do is-
Acorn: Trust me, I got this! >_<

---
Game: Oops, you died again! Say, if you switched to Easy Mode, this boss would be a whole lot-
Acorn: ALRIGHT!!! **** it, equip Easy Mode! Just leave me alone!
Game: Happy to apply......>_> pussy
Acorn: -_-

---

I hope I never see a game again that keeps trying to convince me to bail out @____@ He made me do it I swear! I'm innocent!

V

Oldschool DMC fan
You'll come to miss that, and like me weep tears of joy as the game punishes your ass through the difficulties. ^ ___ ^

Especially if DmC and all its kids turn out to be dumbed-down easy.

Valcorn

Don't play on Easy mode, half the enemies aren't present and you won't take your upgrades into a next playthrough by finishing Easy.

Grey-Frog

DMC1 can be one of the hardest in the series to get used to. I can go through DMC3 and 4 on DMD with no issues but as soon as I start DMC1 I have to take it slow and steady on normal or hard. As with any DMC the controls are tight, but Dante doesn't quite have the same versatility as he will later so it can be quite hard.

My suggestion is to stick with easy for a few missions until you start to get a hang of how Dante works. Then go back to normal. Like every DMC there comes a point where controlling Dante becomes second-nature and the game will become far easier.

One of the big selling points with a lot of us fans is just how hard these games can be and the sense of accomplishment you get for completing things like Dante Must Die.

That all said, as tough as Devil May Cry can be there are many games far more challenging than them. Really, just play the game how you want. There's no shame in playing on easy if that's what you find fun. You got this game to have fun so do so! And enjoy one of the best action games ever released!

Valcorn

DMC1 is more about tactics, that's all. Certain enemies take little to no damage with an attack, while with the right one, some can be killed in an instant by a critical hit.

Grey-Frog

DMC1 is more about tactics, that's all. Certain enemies take little to no damage with an attack, while with the right one, some can be killed in an instant by a critical hit.
Exactly. In DMC3 and 4 the best defense is often a good offense. But in DMC1 it really pays to get to know the enemies. A shadow can be a huge pain and take forever to kill your first time. But when you learn what moves to use and when to use them it's just a harmless kitten.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Don't play on Easy mode, half the enemies aren't present and you won't take your upgrades into a next playthrough by finishing Easy.
Too late :lol: already did it, I don't think I can change it back until I finish DMC1 now.

DMC1 can be one of the hardest in the series to get used to. I can go through DMC3 and 4 on DMD with no issues but as soon as I start DMC1 I have to take it slow and steady on normal or hard. As with any DMC the controls are tight, but Dante doesn't quite have the same versatility as he will later so it can be quite hard.

My suggestion is to stick with easy for a few missions until you start to get a hang of how Dante works. Then go back to normal. Like every DMC there comes a point where controlling Dante becomes second-nature and the game will become far easier.

One of the big selling points with a lot of us fans is just how hard these games can be and the sense of accomplishment you get for completing things like Dante Must Die.

That all said, as tough as Devil May Cry can be there are many games far more challenging than them. Really, just play the game how you want. There's no shame in playing on easy if that's what you find fun. You got this game to have fun so do so! And enjoy one of the best action games ever released!

Well okay, :3 I'll play through on easy and once I've gotten used to it, I'll give a higher mode a try as soon as I've completed it. I do like a challenge XD so long as the challenge isn't impossible and I don't wnd up tossing my controller across the room. I've heard people have done that, I'm worried lol.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Playing on higher modes will give you different enemy encounters and sometimes different enemies you never even met on EASY - I'm not sure you even meet Shadows or Frosts on EASY in the original (and I think some have been swapped on the HD edition to make it slightly easier than the old edition)

Beating a room full of Shadows or Frosts or Death Scissors, etc. = satisfaction. Wish there were more enemies as complex and fun to fight as Shadows in the other games.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Playing on higher modes will give you different enemy encounters and sometimes different enemies you never even met on EASY - I'm not sure you even meet Shadows or Frosts on EASY in the original (and I think some have been swapped on the HD edition to make it slightly easier than the old edition)

Beating a room full of Shadows or Frosts or Death Scissors, etc. = satisfaction. Wish there were more enemies as complex and fun to fight as Shadows in the other games.

I don't know if I've come across the Shadows....I came across a giant flying chicken though :lol: with electric zapping powers. But I'm going to guess that wasn't it.

Wait, you mean the original was even harder? o__o

V

Oldschool DMC fan
It is harder, there have been some subtle changes in DMC1 & 3 for the HD release.

For example the other day I was explaining on another forum how the enemies have their own DT in DMD mode in DMC3, and will enter it when you kill one of their comrades. Another person claimed their DT was on a timer only, I said it was both - what I remember of the original edition of DMC3, you have around 20 seconds before they all DT, AND they will DT if you kill one of their own in front of them. I tested it on the Euro HD version, and now there is no 20 sec timer, and you have to kill two or three enemies before another one will notice and DT. HD release been made easier.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Yup. Like Vergil's weapons - go from one area to another and he will always be reset to using the Yamato...

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I don't know if I've come across the Shadows....I came across a giant flying chicken though :lol: with electric zapping powers. But I'm going to guess that wasn't it.

Wait, you mean the original was even harder? o__o

On Easy mode, you never fight Shadows, Frosts, or Fetishes, and many enemy encounters are dumbed down. For example, on Easy, when you destroy the lion statue, you fight a bunch of Sin Scythes. On Normal, it's a Shadow. On hard, it's a Death Scissors (the nasty skullheaded demon you fight in mission 6). And on DMD it's a Death Scythe, one of the strongest minibosses in the game.

DarkSlayer54

And on DMD it's a Death Scythe, one of the strongest minibosses in the game.
I never considered any enemies as mini-bosses... the difference in difficulty just wasn't significant enough.

EDIT:
If you ever decide to beat DMD, make sure you get all 5 untouchables on normal, and hard... and I'd beat normal a second time afterwards to have a total of 15. If you're anything like me, you might get reeeeaallly ****ed off during Vergils third battle, Nightmare's third battle, and Mundus (Totally worth it if you do, you can completely spam Ifrit and Alastor with infinite DT :D).

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I never considered any enemies as mini-bosses... the difference in difficulty just wasn't significant enough.

EDIT:
If you ever decide to beat DMD, make sure you get all 5 untouchables on normal, and hard... and I'd beat normal a second time afterwards to have a total of 15. If you're anything like me, you might get reeeeaallly ****ed off during Vergils third battle, Nightmare's third battle, and Mundus (Totally worth it if you do, you can completely spam Ifrit and Alastor with infinite DT :D).

Well, maybe to you. To me, any enemy that had Psycho Siren as its theme was a miniboss.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Ah, I'm stuck. Mundus just made this first appearence to kill the giant flying chicken (sparing Dante o.o really, he's right there, you don't want to kill-alright T.T) and I got this wheel thingy from under the coliseum, and I have no idea where to go. Heeelp?:'(

Top Bottom