• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

SN's DMC4 SE Theory: Why Vergil is Cloaked & Baby Nero Makes Sense

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Okay yeah I know ANOTHER thread about the same goddamn teaser but I feel most people here are either wrong or is misguided by some delusional Vergil fanboy/girlism (while some get it).

Lets get this straight.

If Vergil is getting his own campaign, its NOT set after DMC4. Why is Vergil wearing the exact same clothes he had in DMC3? Its been over 10 years since DMC3 and considering what he went through in DMC3 to DMC1 I doubt he'll break free of Mundus and escape hell with the exact same clothes or get the exact same clothes. Plus this is Devil May Cry where everyone gains new outfits every game, if Dante changes wardrobes every game why not Vergil even if it is a Special Edition. Also, the teaser indicates Vergil will have Yamato so unless he gets from Nero by kicking his ass and go on whatever campaign......I won't continue that'll be dumb and pointless...or at least pointless in this case. This is a Special Edition not a sequel. Also, based on the last teaser Fortuna looked fine and in good condition so clearly the time of it indicates before it was wreaked by the Savior.

Its most likely set before DMC3 and I'll explain why as well as why its about a baby Nero.

First it aligns up with the DMC4 novel that states or strong-fully implies Vergil was in Fortuna and implied to drop off Nero there.

Why would Vergil go to Fortuna? Research, learn more about his father, drop something or someone off for protection?

Vergil greatly appreciates his father and aspire to be just like him but never personally knew him so he obviously scurried the world looking for info on him. Thus he headed to Fortuna, the place in the Human world that he had the most impact on, for something.

Now why is he cloaked?

Many say to make sure Vergil's appearance to tease the audience some more (but why its 100% revealed that guy is Vergil) or to give off some generic anime vibe of a character returning. While probably true in those cases characters usually cloak themselves like that for a reason and usually you don't know if that is 100% the character until the cloak is lifted. Its obvious as day that its Vergil so its rather pointless to cloak him unless he is hiding something. Guessing by the shape and form of the chest area of the cloak its protruding out and has a very strong curve to it. If he was holding the cloak with his hand it would be coming in not puffing out. He is holding something under his cloak something round.......like a baby...or something else.

Another reason why Vergil could be cloaking himself is for safety or security reasons. Its like this Sparda and his family are very infamous in the Demon circuit to the point they've been hunted down which resulted in the death of Eva. It was by Mundus orders that it happened and its very evident in DMC1 that Mundus wants to eliminate all of Sparda's bloodline. He even went all that way to get Trish to lure Dante there so he can kill him when he was awakening rather than just rise up from hell and invade the human world and fight Dante there I guess he really wanted his revenge against Sparda's offspring to be personal or something. Also, it was revealed in the DMC3 manga that Vergil was reported dead after the first raid but he rose from the grave somehow. He even has his own tombstone with his name on it so officially to everyone even the demons Vergil was killed during the raid 20 years ago (matching up with what Trish said in DMC1).

devil-may-cry-3-1645054.jpg

So quite obviously Vergil knowing that Mundus and his demon goons are after him probably kept his existence hidden while training and finding ways to gain power to fight back. So Vergil kept his existence a secret to most but Mundus most likely had a clue at some point or perhaps when Vergil fell to hell in DMC3 that was he realized that was Vergil and he didn't die that day and decided to corrupt him instead so he can use him against Dante. Nelo Angelo was pretty strong and seemed well trained so Mundus probably didn't need to train Vergil for he already proved to be a worthy foe against Dante.

Going into the safety/security reason this ties into Nero being his son more and carrying him to Fortuna under a cloak. One reason why is to not reveal he has son or a baby under there for if word gets out that Vergil is alive and he has a kid you know Mundus would target him too since he has Sparda's blood or use him against Vergil. So for Nero's and even Vergil's safety he dropped him off at Fortuna, remote island that not many know about, which is ultimately safeguarded by the Order, a cult of elite demon hunters who served under Sparda and possible the strongest/biggest group of demon hunters in the world. This could mean he cared deeply for his own child...maybe....and also aligns with his statement in DMC3 against Dante "Without power you can't protect anything let alone yourself." Vergil obviously was power hungry but it was never fully explained why and so we're led to believed that it had something to do with not being able to protect his mother. This could be the case but what if he DID had something he valued and wanted to protect like a child. What if he wanted the power to protect his own kid and family even if it means causing human causalities, merging the Human World with the Demon World (rising Temen-ni-Gru), and potentially killing his own brother. He knew Mundus was on a mad hunt for anything with Sparda's blood in it so he needed Sparda's power to put a stop to him to protect himself and his son...just my theory. So when Vergil said he "need" more power he probably meant it.

Now the last question, why would Vergil have a kid?

It could be either accidental or intentional. I'd say intentional and it makes a ton of sense. Vergil as clear as the sun wanted to be like Sparda even Dante pointed this out. In the DMC4 novel Vergil(???) even told Sanctus he (meaning Vergil) would be the one they would be worshiping next. He obviously wanted Sparda's power so he can defeat Mundus and save mankind like his father. He probably was going to use the Hell Gate in Fortuna to go to hell to face Mundus. Another thing Sparda did was had children with a human woman. It was never stated he did it out of love but more or less out of duty so he can pass down his legacy. So its quite evident Vergil would do the same and he values his son as not his own offspring like most normal parents but a way to honor his father's legacy or pass down his own legacy, a more primal way of love and affection, "You are MY seed therefore you are special to me."

There could be another reason but hmmm we'll probably never find out in the SE.

I can see the campaign being set between DMC3 manga or the reunion 1 year ago and DMC3 showing what Vergil has been doing prior to DMC3 or before the reunion/manga.

I can see Vergil heading to Fortuna hiding his existence but is confronted by 3 demons who most likely serve under Mundus (Gilgamesh, Lucifer, and Pandora) and they suspect that this cloaked man could be Vergil or the Son of Sparda. As well as him facing various Order officials, like say Credo's master/teacher, to test them. Granted if Vergil does face and defeat Gilgamesh, Lucifer, and Pandora turning them into Devil Arms that would contradict a part in the DMC4 novel that states those 3 DAs used to belong to Dante from demons he slayed until Trish gave them to the Order granted DMC4 (the actual game) doesn't state that and strongly implies or basically said that the Order found those Devil Arms and the novel does contradict a bit with the actual game. Plus I doubt if Capcom does make a Vergil campaign their main priority is to make sure it stays aligned with the canon of some book.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
You right! I bow before a man who is capable to go literally through Hell for his child! Vergil, I revere you!

Lani

I'm thinking this campaign will be short ala Vergils Downfall and set before DMC4 for the reasons you and others have already stated. Vergil is in his clothes from DMC3,he looks like hes holding an infant under his black cloak(which wasnt Nero found in a black cloak and thats how he got his name?) with the way his arms are held and the way he is looking down.As for whether or not Vergil cares for Nero well its hard to say and it depends on how you look at it. I think it can go either way.I'm hoping after DMC4 SE release I can say with certainty whether he was acting out of selfishness or not.

Top Bottom