• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Silent Hill Series

$JP

Supreme Ruler
Well, I've only seen the movie but I really wanna play the games. I just can't get my hands on them though! Can anyone tell me what the games about???

Arwen

Lost Soul
The movie was freaky and a more violent then I would have thought it would be. Still a good film. I've only played a little into Silent Hill 1.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Silent Hill rules. My favorite horror series. It's just crazy. Unlike Resident Evil you don't understand what's going on at all before the end comes. And sometimes there are multiple endings to confuse you even more. The monster have been different in each game. Scary at SH1, Weird at SH2, Hideous in SH3 and Spooky at SH: The Room.
It follows the usual concept that the 1st links in storyline with the 3rd, the 2nd with the 4th etc.

Every game has some unique characteristics. But the one thing that they have in common is the paranoia. When you play it for the 1st time, you don't know what happens, why it happens, what you should do etc.
I started with SH2, unfortunately not Director's Cut. At first it was pretty normal. Just mysterious and scary. Typical Horror game. But after a while things start changing and changing and you are like ->:huh:<-
Which I grew to like in every SH series. ^_^

The film was ok. It followed some sort of its own script very SH-like. And a great part of the OST comes from the games too. Also the story did not end, so there's likely a SH2 film will be made.

Arwen

Lost Soul
I thought it might have been done by a different company. Didn't seem like the kind of game Capcom would do. They don't go for an all out scary game. Konami do great games.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
There are quite a few, thought after the 4th game the others looked crap. Mainly because the 5th was done by another Konami team and the "Arcade" was a first person shooting game. The 6th looks like it's going back to where it belongs though.

There are:

1) Silent Hill
Conceived by the game designer Keiichiro Toyama, the first Silent Hill was released in 1999 for the Sony PlayStation. The plot of the game centered around Harry Mason arriving in Silent Hill and his subsequent attempts at finding his lost daughter, Cheryl. Similar plot with the movie.

2) Silent Hill 2
The sequel, Silent Hill 2, was released in 2001 for the Sony PlayStation 2, Microsoft Xbox and PC. The extended versions for XBOX and PC are sometimes known as Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams and feature an extra subplot scenario, as do the "Greatest Hits"/"Platinum" budget re-releases for PS2. The plot centered around James Sunderland, who had received a letter from his deceased wife that she is waiting for him in their "special place", which leads him to Silent Hill.

3) Silent Hill 3
The second full sequel, Silent Hill 3, was released in 2003 for the Sony PlayStation 2 as well as for PC. Highly tethered to the events of the first game, the plot surrounds a teenager named Heather as she uncovers the mysteries that surround her past - including her own link to the haunted town. The story follows the plot of the 1st game.

4) Silent Hill 4: The Room
Silent Hill 4: The Room was released in 2004 for the Sony PlayStation 2, Microsoft Xbox and PC. Partly related to Silent Hill 2 and briefly set near Silent Hill, the plot follows Henry Townshend who finds himself mysteriously locked in his own apartment until a hole appears in his bathroom wall. The game features characters that are mentioned in previous titles.

5) Silent Hill Origins
An upcoming prequel first announced at E3 2006 for the PlayStation Portable.The game features a mentally disturbed trucker identified as Travis O'Grady who becomes trapped in Silent Hill and encounters characters from the first game during his attempts to get out. As the protagonist searches for a way to escape the horrors of the town, he eventually uncovers details regarding the creation of the darkness that plagues the once peaceful Silent Hill.This is one of the few Silent Hill titles that is not being created by Team Silent, but instead by Climax Studios.

6) Silent Hill: Arcade
At the 2007 Japan Arcade Operator's Union trade show, Konami revealed a forthcoming light gun arcade shooter game based on the Silent Hill series. The game deals with two characters, Eric and Tina, who have entered the town of Silent Hill and must battle enemies which include Nurses and Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2. It is said that the two-player arcade will play much like House of the Dead.

7) The sixth installment was officially confirmed on July 11th, 2007, during E3 2007 for the Sony PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Xbox 360, but still hasn't been released. The game tells the story of Alex Shepherd, a soldier who has returned from a war overseas. Shepherd discovers upon his arrival that his father has gone missing and his mother catatonic. Joshua, his brother, is the only one who can provide solace, but he soon vanishes. The game will chronicle Shepherd's search to find his missing brother. Much like Silent Hill: Origins, Team Silent will not be developing the project, but instead by The Collective from Foundation 9 Entertainment. But for some reason it looks fairly good. We'll have to wait and see.

$JP

Supreme Ruler
Wow, it's gonna take me a long time to play all those games. Well, most of them.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Yeah, I'll never get to play the PSP or the Arcade myself. Not that I liked the Arcade, but the PSP game looks okay:unsure:

Demons Destiny

Silenced Vampire
well, heres another game that sorta scares me. We have silent hill, the first one. I get my dad to play it, i'm scared of it (just like RE :p)
The movie wasn't scary, it was plain weird. As soon as it started I didn't have a clue what was going on :p

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Yes that "weird" part is a lot in the games too. It's the regular SH them that makes SH different from other horror games: You don't have a clue as to what is happening:p
I really hope the new team make SH5 follow that theme.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
But of course.

It is confirmed by director Christophe Gans that a sequel to the film Silent Hill is "officially ordered and well on the way".[1] He went on to state that Samuel Hadida and Sony Pictures' subsidiary TriStar Pictures and DreamWorks SKG are attached as producer and distributor respectively. He also confirms that screenwriter Roger Avary will return to write the film's screenplay with Warner Independent Pictures and Universal Pictures. Gans has also stated that the movie might tie up loose ends from the first film.

As of April 2007, Producer Don Carmody has stated that a screenplay is slowly being developed and that "[Gans is] involved pretty heavily in another project right now" and will likely not return as director.Gans has stated that he will stay close to the film's production regardless of his status as director. The film's story is unknown as well, but it is confirmed that the film will retain the visual look of the first film.

In July 2007, Avary said that he would not be returning to collaborate on Silent Hill 2 on the account that Gans would not be returning, either. The sequel will continue in development without a writer or director.

$JP

Supreme Ruler
Yeah I was wondering about the ending of the first film, since Rose and her daughter seemed to still be trapped in Silent Hill. I wonder if the second movie will be the husband going to look for them and he stumbles into Silent Hill?

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
I don't remember where, but I recall seeing something about a completely new plot, which is rather unfortunate. However, given that SH series follow the concept of unifying the plot thus: 1 with 3 with 5 etc. and 2 with 4 and 6 etc. we may see the conclusion of SH1 in SH3 movie. But I may as well be wrong, as I'm not sure about the contents of the 2nd movie.

Top Bottom