• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Silent Hill: Downpour

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Is it any good? I'm looking to buy it. If it's similar to Silent Hill: Homecoming, I'd love it.

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
I haven't played it myself, but I'm hearing mixed things from the hardcore fans. I'd still buy it in a heartbeat if it came out for PC; it's pretty much the only Silent Hill game I've had to miss out on because it hasn't been released on my preferred platform of choice.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I haven't played it myself, but I'm hearing mixed things from the hardcore fans. I'd still buy it in a heartbeat if it came out for PC; it's pretty much the only Silent Hill game I've had to miss out on because it hasn't been released on my preferred platform of choice.

Well, I bought it today. It's pretty good. It's not like the classic Silent Hill games, but it's still a great game in it's own right.

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
It's not really fair for me to say this without having played it, but, from what I've seen from previews and Let's Plays, the game just doesn't look particularly scary. I'm sure it would be much different if I were playing it myself, in the dark with the volume cranked up, but it just looks too Westernized, with all those artificial 'jump' scares and monsters that have a far greater bark than bite.

When it's cheap enough, I'll grab it for Xbox 360, but SH1, SH2 and SH: Homecoming will likely remain my top favourites for a long while yet.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
It's not really fair for me to say this without having played it, but, from what I've seen from previews and Let's Plays, the game just doesn't look particularly scary. I'm sure it would be much different if I were playing it myself, in the dark with the volume cranked up, but it just looks too Westernized, with all those artificial 'jump' scares and monsters that have a far greater bark than bite.

When it's cheap enough, I'll grab it for Xbox 360, but SH1, SH2 and SH: Homecoming will likely remain my top favourites for a long while yet.

I've played it, and it's really not as bad as you think. It's not scary, and the first three games were very Western... All of them were inspired by American horror. It's very adrenaline inducing, especially during the chase sequences in the Otherworld.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Ah, I may have spoken too soon. ._. The Otherworld segments are nerve-wracking, to say the least...
I just watched a little of the walkthrough, and the chase sequences are pretty damn intense. I like how the game gives you no direction at the beginning besides getting as far away from the crash as possible. I like the open world and it really seems like your all alone, and the ambient sounds, like there is something out there, its pretty spooky. I might check it out sometime

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I just watched a little of the walkthrough, and the chase sequences are pretty damn intense. I like how the game gives you no direction at the beginning besides getting as far away from the crash as possible. I like the open world and it really seems like your all alone, and the ambient sounds, like there is something out there, its pretty spooky. I might check it out sometime

The only downside to this game that I can see is lack of enemy variety. There are less than a dozen different enemies. :/

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
It’s fair to say Silent Hill has been faltering for quite a while now, and if anyone is going to take over the reigns, Kojima is an intriguing choice.

That would be great! Maybe Team Silent will finally return if Kojima decides to handle the Silent Hill project!

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
I haven't played SilentHill downpour, how is it.

Not so great as 1,2 and 3 but I found it quite good actually.

Good Points:
- There are side quests missions now
- For the first time, you can free roam and explore the town. There are many hidden clues scattered all around the town which helps in the quest.
- The game captures the classic Silent Hill visuals which lacked in Silent Hill: Homecoming.

Bad Points (there are quite a lot tbh):
- Combat is stiff. I know that the character is supposed to be helpless and defenceless but man, it got on my nerves for many times.
- Sound fails to capture the horror and have impact on you which has been one of the main thing in Silent Hill franchise. Daniel Licht's soundtrack were great but for me it wasn't quite Silent Hill. It's sad that Akira Yamaoka left!:(
- Framerate issues and screen tearing! It must be the first Silent Hill game to have so much framerate and stuttering issues, even Homecoming was better in technical department!
- Lack of monster designs :/

Overall, as a long time Silent Hill fan, I would suggest you to play it. You will love it despite the bad points:) I must say it's quite refreshing and I'm happy that Vatra Games understood the Silent Hill franchise's depth and tried to take it in right and positive direction. I will probably give this game 7/10. And please don't believe IGN's score ...pure bullsh*t review!

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
Yes, there are broken streets and locked doors but this time the town is quite huge so you can free roam pretty much anywhere. You can't go in all of the buildings but most of it are open. If you don't feel like doing the main story, you can just wander around the town and do side quests or collect items. So, I think this is the biggest explorable Silent Hill game yet! :)

I must say Korn did a pretty good job but once again it doesn't fit Silent Hill. Wrong choice

You mean noise effect? If you mean that then there isn't much actually, just in few missions! Vatra Games also included fixed camera angles in certain missions like classic Silent Hill or RE used to have, which was great but tbh I found it useless!

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
LOL Yea sorry.
The noise filter from the SilentHills before with the grainy texture.
So the grainy texture view only appears for some missions & not the entire game ?

As far as I can remember, yeah it appears only in few missions. I liked the grainy texture in previous Silent Hill titles because it used to give you a sense of fear and horror. It was like watching horror flick in a movie projector! What about you VW? Do you like or hate the grainy texture?

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer

It's part of SilentHill's signature.
1. FOG, no fog then it's not SilentHill.
2. The noise filter
3. Sexy creepy nurses, among other creepy enemies.
4. Pyramid Head *however he should not appear in every SilentHill title.
5. Enemies are attracted to noise & light.
6. A weird, guilt riddled, or sad heartbreaking reason to go to SilentHill.
7. Fitting music the brings out the atmosphere.

I just can't agree with you more!:)

Top Bottom