• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Should DMC4's opening theme be continued through the rest of the series?

Paradox

DMC4's opening music when Nero is running through the streets and fighting is honestly my favorite music out of all the DMC games. It just seemed to fit so well and seemed to have so much emotion behind it.

I want to see it used more throughout the DMC series. Maybe Nero's personal music or something like that? It's definitely a piece that needs more play time.

Lerrion

Wild Ranger
I think it is a mistake - to continue the same theme in the following games. Because, I hear so many similarities with DMC 3 and 4 in the plans of music, that I don't pay any attention to the score. In fact, the soundtrack is worse than the one in the third installment. It has the same style, but more gray and neutural, not much worth to listening to when I played the game.

Repetitive music in all of the installments? A fail, I believe... If to make a good follow up to dmc 4, it should be absolutely different kind of style and themes in both gameplay, story and MUSIC. Heck, even remove the music at all, like maestro Hitch**** did in his work! Or include some ambient sounds, or even make live music, hire a hardcore metal band - and not use the computer for electronic music....

Shouldn't this thread be in dmc 5 section ???

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
The music played when Nero is making his way to the Opera House is more associated with Kyrie than Nero himself. They replay a bit of it in the scene where he and Kyrie are absorbed into the Savior and Nero tries to reach for her and she disintegrates at his touch.
But for a theme song for Nero? Nah, it wouldn't work. As Lerrion said, repetitive music in all the installments smacks of lack of effort on the producing team's side.

Although I have to say, I disagree with this.
If to make a good follow up to dmc 4, it should be absolutely different kind of style and themes in both gameplay, story and MUSIC.

That's a contradicting suggestion in the face of the general consensus of all DMC fans. A lot of people have complained that DMC4 isn't gothic enough, not dark enough, and the music in DMC4 is some light metal mixed with, I do believe they call it, love metal (the ballad style at the end of the Surrender song) Plus, the background music when moving through missions is a bit more creepy with the sweet, twisted and off beat cymbals, whereas in DMC3 you often just hear a monotonous tone and children laughing every once in a while.
My point is, DMC4 IS completely different to DMC3, in style, themes, story and music, and it wasn't such a great big hit with fans because they wanted something more DMC3, or DMC1. If the next game they bring out is like Bayonetta's themes and music, the fans are likely to complain about it as well.

I'm not picking a fight or anything, btw, I'm just pointing out that bringing something different to the table won't necessarily make for a better game, because a lot of people are looking down on DMC4 FOR being different.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
Chloe_Ryder;260660 said:
The music played when Nero is making his way to the Opera House is more associated with Kyrie than Nero himself. They replay a bit of it in the scene where he and Kyrie are absorbed into the Savior and Nero tries to reach for her and she disintegrates at his touch.
But for a theme song for Nero? Nah, it wouldn't work. As Lerrion said, repetitive music in all the installments smacks of lack of effort on the producing team's side.

Although I have to say, I disagree with this.

That's a contradicting suggestion in the face of the general consensus of all DMC fans. A lot of people have complained that DMC4 isn't gothic enough, not dark enough, and the music in DMC4 is some light metal mixed with, I do believe they call it, love metal (the ballad style at the end of the Surrender song) Plus, the background music when moving through missions is a bit more creepy with the sweet, twisted and off beat cymbals, whereas in DMC3 you often just hear a monotonous tone and children laughing every once in a while.
My point is, DMC4 IS completely different to DMC3, in style, themes, story and music, and it wasn't such a great big hit with fans because they wanted something more DMC3, or DMC1. If the next game they bring out is like Bayonetta's themes and music, the fans are likely to complain about it as well.

I'm not picking a fight or anything, btw, I'm just pointing out that bringing something different to the table won't necessarily make for a better game, because a lot of people are looking down on DMC4 FOR being different.

Well the setting of 4 was pretty much identical to that that of DMC1 so it may not have been like 3 but it was still very DMC.
TBH the only thing I liked about DMC3 was the rivalry between Dante and Vergil which was also ruined by Dantes overly arrogant attitude to everything. I thought 4 was at last starting to pull the series back into the direction it was originally going as a less cartoony kind of gothic setting.

I didn't mind that theme at the beginning but I did feel it went on a bit too long. I much preferred Kyrie's song from the old TGS trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp5fobWucds
I wish they kept it as Nero's battle theme.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
What I want is a game that was as great as DMC1. No more c0cky not-caring-at-all Dante. I want the DMC1 Dante back. The best one.

Darth Angelo

DreadnoughtDT;260674 said:
What I want is a game that was as great as DMC1. No more c0cky not-caring-at-all Dante. I want the DMC1 Dante back. The best one.
Yeah me too it's not like bringing back DMC1 Dante is going to take anything away from what he already has. Only instead of being 90% c0cky and 10% serious he will go back to being 50/50. Thats not exactly going to totally destroy the series.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Darth Angelo;260701 said:
Yeah me too it's not like bringing back DMC1 Dante is going to take anything away from what he already has. Only instead of being 90% c0cky and 10% serious he will go back to being 50/50. Thats not exactly going to totally destroy the series.

i personally prefer dmc3/4 Dante. i like his lame jokes and that he is basically playing the whole time. he is so strong he doesn't need to take anything seriously. and but i think i could live with the more grown up dmc1 Dante.

now to reply to the actual topic. i didn't really pay attention to the opening theme. but dmc4 didn't manage to create the creepy atmosphere that dmc games need. the only game that did that was the original. alot of things in dmc4 should be in future games. but the music should not.

Paradox

DreadnoughtDT;260674 said:

I've actually liked all the Dante's up to this point but my favorite was DMC4 Dante. He still had his playful attitude but was at least more serious in this one.

It kinda seemed like Dante knew how powerful he was and as a result didn't take things too seriously because he knew no one was really a match for him.

That's how I see it.

Darth Angelo

Paradox;260706 said:
It kinda seemed like Dante knew how powerful he was and as a result didn't take things too seriously because he knew no one was really a match for him.

That's how I see it.

Yeah that makes sense but the way I see it just because you have a lot of money doesn't mean you need to go around talking posh and looking down your nose at poor people. The fact that Dante has whooped hundreds of demons shouldn't give him an obligation to disrespect all of his enemies no matter how big or powerful.
I can understand it from a strategic point of view as a way of riling up his enemies to make them easier to predict but doing it every 5 minutes did get quite irritating.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Darth Angelo;260725 said:
Yeah that makes sense but the way I see it just because you have a lot of money doesn't mean you need to go around talking posh and looking down your nose at poor people. The fact that Dante has whooped hundreds of demons shouldn't give him an obligation to disrespect all of his enemies no matter how big or powerful.
I can understand it from a strategic point of view as a way of riling up his enemies to make them easier to predict but doing it every 5 minutes did get quite irritating.

This. HARD.

See, in DMC1 he still cracked lame jokes, but he didn't do it enough to make it get old in two seconds. He did it because he honestly didn't care at that point, and then when things got serious, he got serious. That's the best part. When a hero or villain doesn't have a realistic sense of their strengths and weaknesses, they set themselves up for failure BIG TIME.

Dante's gonna fall flat on his ass one of these days when he's cracking one of his lame jokes, and that's when he's gonna realize it ain't all fun and games.

aoshi

Why is dante discussed in this thread?:huh:

I think thread starter has been spell-bound by the music and expects the same in upcoming games but DMC have produced original stuff in almost all games except for a few elements that reminisce previous games. But prologue-music is definitely not such an element.They might give a better and a new original if not to relate characters as in DMC 4.Eg : Dante was related to DMC 1 - Lock and load theme ===Bianco angelos = Nero-angelo kinda theme. Unless, characters are referred conceptually, I don't think music will carry forward.

BTW, DMC 4's music was larger than life and suited game. My fav one is echidna soundtrack.

Top Bottom