• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sega kills off Streets of Rage Remake

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Sega kills Streets Of Rage Remake fan game

Sega has forced fan project Streets Of Rage Remake to shut down, following eight years of development and just days after the game was finally completed.

You might have thought there was plenty of time for Sega to have come to an amicable agreement over the game, but apparently they preferred to get loads of bad publicity (like this) by doing everything at the last minute.
'Sega is committed to supporting any fans that take an interest in our games, and where possible we do so by involving them in Beta tests and other development, marketing or research opportunities,' read a statement.
'However we need to protect our intellectual property rights and this may result in us requesting that our fans remove online imagery, videos or games in some instances.'
As the name suggests, the download in question is a remake of the classic Mega Drive scrolling beat 'em-up. It was created from scratch and without a single line of reused code. It also has plenty of new content too, with 19 playable characters, a massive 103 stages and remixed music and sound.
Bomber Games claim that Sega had given them the okay to make the game, but the download link has now been removed from their website.
There hasn't been a new Streets Of Rage game from Sega since 1994, although the company has re-released the three games a few times as downloads or part of retro compilations.

Tis' a very sad day for this 'ex' sega fan.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
What the hell? They chose to wait until this was released (which is fan-based and makes no profit so it wouldn't hurt Sega's sales in the least) to ban it? If they didn't want it they should've gotten rid of it before it was completed, so as not to hurt their publicity as much.

Honestly, this screams of dickery and "It's MINE, you can't have it!" to me.

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
I wonder why they did that? There must be a random reason? Something has possed them off? *shrugs*

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Love the usual corporate doublespeak. "We're nice people, you know... not monsters, honest! Only GTFO our IP or We Will Crush You."

Top Bottom