• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

SE: FFVII and next gen rpg (don't get too excited)

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Here's some News. FFVII remake at least they've thought about it....

Square Enix talks Final Fantasy VII remake and next gen RPG
A remake of Final Fantasy VII would is likely to deviate significantly from the original according to Square Enix's top producer, as rumours of a new next generation role-player emerges in Japan.

Any potential remake of classic role-playing game Final Fantasy VII would be very different to the original claims Square Enix producer Yoshinori Kitase, as the company once again stops short of announcing plans for a modernised version.

'If I may speak as a game creator, if we were to produce a remake of VII, for example, I would be really tempted to delete things and add new elements, new systems or whatever because if we were to make exactly the same thing now, it'd be like a repeat,' said Kitase in a new interview with The Official Xbox Magazine.

'It'd be an issue of repetition and not as much fun to make such a game. So I'd be really interested in rearranging games or reshaping games into something slightly different even though it's supposed to be the same game,'

'If we did that, the fans might be disappointed or [say] 'this is not what I was expecting' so in that sense maybe some might say that it's better to let memory be memory,' he admitted. 'When we play the games we made years ago, sometimes we think 'oh, that is not really cool' or 'that probably should have been a bit better than that' and that sort of thing.'

'But on the other hand, those slightly negative features and bits, for some of the really enthusiastic fans of these titles, that gives the game extra flavour or personality or whatever. So maybe they would rather we didn't do anything about it and we just leave it in as it is. It's very difficult to decide what we should we keep in and what we should take out.'

He's obviously thought about the remake then, but whether Square Enix are interested in fronting the money for such an enormous project remains to be seen.

What they are apparently working on though is a next generation action role-player using the Unreal Engine (the same technology that powers Western games such as Gears Of War). According to unconfirmed reports the new game has been announced in the latest issue of Japanese magazine Famitsu and is being overseen by the producer of Dragon Quest IX.

According to website Andriasang the magazine preview only shows illustrations and character art, but it's apparently already clear that the game is being targeted at Western audiences.

In yet other Final Fantasy related news (it is new magazine day today in Japan) the director of Parasite Eve spin-off The 3rd Birthday wants to make another sequel but admits he's more likely to be asked to create a follow-up to PSP game Final Fantasy Type-0.

And finally, there'll be an optional Assassin's Creed: Revelations costume in Final Fantasy XIII-2, where you can dress main character Noel up as Revelations' Ezio. Which seems a bit random, although it's interesting to see Square Enix and Ubisoft co-operating like that…

I did tell you not to get too excited

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
If they keep the story the same and/or add stuff that will show connections with the newest FF7-sub-games like Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core etc. I don't see why anyone should complain. The biggest problem would probably be if they wanted to mess with the gameplay.

Also lol for Ezio. He's everywhere. Prince of Persia, Soul Calibur..who knows were else and now Final FantasyXD

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
One thing I dislike about Square Enix is their wishy-washy decision as to whether to remake FFVII or not. If they don't want it, just don't do it. Move on to next project, let's say Final Fantasy Versus XIII. It has been ages since I heard a thing about that game. And it is rather ridiculous FFXIII-2 to be released before FF Versus XIII. Still, I will definitely will play FFXIII-2 because I like FFXIII, and I hope Square Enix will make amends to the mistake they did in previous game for FFXIII-2.

If they really wants to remake FFVII, no doubt that some of the original contents will be removed to make the game itself, for example, certain side quests, or some retcon to the story. If the gameplay is messed up or changed in bad way, no doubt Square Enix will get flamed by the FF fans.

EIther Square Enix is lazy to use their in-game engine to create that unknown action-RPG game, or they are venturing towards multi-platform game business. Unreal Engine 3 is great in developing multi-platform games, but without proper modifications, one platform will perform severely bad in technical and graphical problems than the other platforms.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
or they could do something really productive and do a new Legacy of Kain game (seeing now they're incharge.)
Although, i'm afraid if they do, they'll make it too FF, than Vampire (if you've played any LoK game, you'll know what i mean)

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
or they could do something really productive and do a new Legacy of Kain game (seeing now they're incharge.)
Although, i'm afraid if they do, they'll make it too FF, than Vampire (if you've played any LoK game, you'll know what i mean)

Good point. Now that Square Enix absorbed Crystal Dynamics, they should reboot Legacy of Kain. But since now they developing Tomb Raider reboot and releasing it next year, perhaps they will develop new Legacy of Kain game at the very least at 2013. Unless they develop both games at the same time.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
well, apparently they're opening a new studio at Eidos Montreal.
I don't think i could stand to see LoK rebooted, because Alot of things were left unanswered at the end of Defiance.
I think i would be more p***ed at a LoK reboot even more than I am at DmC (for some unknown reason)

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
well, apparently they're opening a new studio at Eidos Montreal.
I don't think i could stand to see LoK rebooted, because Alot of things were left unanswered at the end of Defiance.
I think i would be more p***ed at a LoK reboot even more than I am at DmC (for some unknown reason)

If the Legacy of Kain reboot have a dumbed down violence, less gothic influence, LoK fans will be definitely get ****ed at it.

Perhaps a sequel should be made. Imagine the new Legacy of Kain game with full HD violence, gothic, etc... (drools)

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
i don't think SE are really known for their violence... are they?
Well, some of the SE game I've played are that violent.

or maybe they should just make a HD collection to prove they haven't forgotten about it. :p
Actually, I'll settle for the sequel/prequel... whatever

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
i don't think SE are really known for their violence... are they?
Well, some of the SE game I've played are that violent.

or maybe they should just make a HD collection to prove they haven't forgotten about it. :p
Actually, I'll settle for the sequel/prequel... whatever

Yes, they are not known for violent games. But from what I see in the first two Hitman: Absolution trailers, both are quite violent. I just hope that they won't tone down LoK's violence for the sake of 'appealing' to every type of gamers. That is just wrong.

IF Square Enix wants to do the HD Collection. So far, Square Enix is one of the few companies that did not release a HD collection yet.

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Propably I wished that FF VII could get next gen remake, and for happier world, having contacts in some sources is good: I know that PSP newnest FF game called FF type zero could get western and European versions, for now I only played and ended Japan version, but I will still get my EU edition when It comes.

Ultima

Obsessed Green Day Fangirl ^^
Uhm...ok thats rather odd...an Assassin's Creed outfit....in Final Fantasy?? Okay, well, I did not see that coming @.@

Autumn

Welcome to my world....
I’m really looking forward to Type Zero, don’t know why since I don’t know much about it and FF XIII was a real disappointment for me. Guess I still got hopes for FF games.

Top Bottom