1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scalebound

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Innsmouth, Jun 12, 2014.

1. absolitude

absolitude the devil is not as black as he painted

lol yeah, i only enjoy games and not really caring about anything outside of em.. but i did know from the forum if he isn't in capcom anymore just didn't know when he was out..

2. DragonMaster2010

DragonMaster2010 Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

Kamiya left around 2002.

absolitude likes this.
  3. SPARTAN-1000

SPARTAN-1000 Well-Known Member

Left or got fired ?

4. Stylish Nero

Stylish Nero We Dem Boys!!

Nope he was around for a bit longer than that. 2005/2006 is the correct time span of his and the other Clover departures

5. BLACKSWIPE

BLACKSWIPE "Waiting for one's arrival."

The more I think about this game and look it up, the more I get excited. I remember being really obsessed with dragons/reptiles at an early age, and this pretty much was the game that I've always wanted.

:( Holiday 2016 is far away...

6. Frazz

Frazz General gamer

It doesn't look as good as Platinum's normal output... I was know it's early stuff but it doesn't look all that exciting or fast paced to me. I hoped it'd look like MGR with dragons but I guess I expected too much.

Innsmouth likes this.
  7. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Wickedly good

I hope it sells well then 'cause I like what I am seeing and would like to play this.

8. TWOxACROSS

TWOxACROSS Hot-blooded God of Guns Gold Supporter

It looks like a jumble of things that other games did better, mostly everything Monster Hunter. It's like...it's blasting out a quantity of gameplay elements instead of showing off quality. Dynasty Warriors-level attack reach on a boring-looking three hit combo (thrice the length of his sword), and they briefly show off a mounting mechanic that nothing happened with. It was all like "THIS IS COOL, RIGHT?!" instead of attempting to show why it altogether was worthwhile. The guy was really trying too hard to be...something, too. I wanted to like the banter with his dragon, but it lacked pretty much everything that would make it endearing.

The only truly interesting concept is ordering around a dragon for some seemingly cool kaiju battles, but then again...we're then left standing around watching cool things happen while we do the same three hit combo over and over again. They also seem to be hinting at co-op play, which in and of itself will only make things worse, given the dragon commanding. It'll turn into a gigantic clusterfuck.

Then there's just a few things that I'd hope are tweeked for the final game, like how he barely moves his upper body despite all the frantic motions he's actually doing, and the bow play looked rather underwhelming, despite his Devil Bringer dragon arm powering the shots.

PS - take a look at how boring a Kamiya game is without Udon FLAME WORKS choreographing it :p Maybe they'll be brought on later, although I've grown weary of some of their stuff as it is...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  9. Innsmouth

Innsmouth Sleeping DMC Fan Contributor

It isn't HnS, so don't expect same amount of animations. Most likely it be like Kingdom Hearts: basic combo, skills, magic etc.

Frazz likes this.
  10. Director Bison

Director Bison King of Games Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter

i'm not the only one who got the wonderful 101 reference right?
    one of the guards says "TEAM UNITE UP"

11. Malik Robinson

Malik Robinson Well-Known Member

That is no excuse for having boring or repetitive combat.

12. Innsmouth

You obviously miss the point of difference between HnS and RPG. Having basic combos in RPG is norm.

13. DragonMaster2010

DragonMaster2010 Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

This was one of the things I was worried about.

What if there are 3 bosses that are dragon sized while you have to fight 10 regular bosses on the ground. That'll be quite a lot of confusion.

I've always noticed this in Kamiya's games where there's too much going on that you can barely see what you're doing. With Bayonetta, it's usually a lot of enemies coming at once and what makes it difficult to beat them isn't so much the difficulty as it's the number of bosses attacking at once right in front of the screen.

But another thing you talked about; this IS a pretty boring looking game when you remember the creator of it was the same guy who did over-the-top games like Bayonetta and Viewtiful Joe. I guess he wanted to go for a more mature avenue this time.

Malik Robinson likes this.
  14. Malik Robinson

Basic =/= boring or repetitive

DMC1 had basic combat and it had a lot depth and nuance to it.

And if the game is going to have such a large focus on combat, which it seems to be, then they better make sure it doesn't get boring.

15. Innsmouth

DMC1 is HnS. Scalebound isn't . It's different genres. It's as demanding superior driving mechanics from DMC

16. Malik Robinson

If DMC had driving mechanics that were prevalent throughout the entire game, then I would demand the same exact thing.

I don't care what genre it is; if your going to have a lot of combat in your game and have it be one the most integral parts, then make it good.

Example: The Witcher3 was an RPG, yet it still had good combat.

17. Innsmouth

Dark Souls doesn't feature any combo or style mechanics. Kingdom Hearts uses basic combat. It's RPG not Action. If you look for action, look for another game. I also never played witcher 3, but saw many complaining how repetitive its combat becomes after awhile.

18. Malik Robinson

I wasn't asking for combos or style mechanics.
    I was asking for quality; both of the games you listed have a lot of nuance and variety to it's combat.

Unfortunately, from what was shown, Scalebound's combat doesn't seem to have that level quality. It's looks to be barely above a button-masher.

TWOxACROSS likes this.
  19. TWOxACROSS

TWOxACROSS Hot-blooded God of Guns Gold Supporter

It sorta depends on how heavily they rely on combat. Scalebound isn't marketing itself as simply an "RPG" it's marketing itself as an Action RPG, of which it has to live up to the combat of games like Dragon's Dogma and even Kingdom Hearts, some of the best Action RPGs out there.

Even barring that, only having access to a three-hit combo in a game of this generation would be absolute garbage.

I'm actually way more concerned about how the dragon commanding is going to be an integral part of the game, and then they bill "the dragon may or may not listen to you because it has a mind of its own" as a feature as well. GREAT! Because that's what I want as one of the main features of a game I'm playing, the potential for a mechanic to just not work.

Now, don't get me wrong, that can be good, but think...

Hello there guest. Please Register or Log in to view images!

...there's only two ways that this can go, and neither is necessarily great: a) the dragon will learn to listen to you as the game progresses, strengthening your bonds and whatnot, making a flagship feature of the game unreliable until late in the game, or b) scripted events will take place that strengthens your bond, and therefore you have very little agency in caring about that bond, aside from just progressing far enough in the game where they're the bestest of pals.

The really funny part is that usually this happens because you're forced to fight several different things that have clashing strategies to overcome them. But noooooo, Bayo does it and it's oky, but when DmC did it with enemies of opposing weakness it's "lazy and restrictive."

Well, remember that what makes games like DMC3, 4, MGR, and Bayo so awesomely choreographed has absolutely nothing to do with Kamiya, other than the decision to hire the choreography services of Yoji Shimomura and Udon FLAME WORKS.

Malik Robinson likes this.
  20. Innsmouth

Dark Souls uses basic 3-4 hits combo for each weapon. Kingdom hearts allows you to make basic 3 hits move on the beginning. You saw one character (despite it confirmed to be multiple ones) from probably beginning of the game and they already shown usage of bows, traps, melee, pulls and dashes. So you either didn't watched the trailer, or you just looking at wrong game.
    Kingdom Hearts had very basic button-mashy combat. Dragon's Dogma forced you repeat same moves for 80% of the games. So I dunno what are you talking about. If you play those game for "hardcore action" you're doing something very wrong

dreadnought_dante likes this.