• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Russia gives Edward Snowden asylum

Is Edward Snowden whistleblower or not?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

IncarnatedDemon

Russia gives Snowden asylum for a year. Us goverment spokesman is saying Snowden is not a whistleblower:
Notice how he says Snowden is not a whistleblower, then he contradicts himself by saying "he's accused of..." and "he's charged with...".
In other words, how is he a traitor if he hasnt been prosecuted?

Also here is a poll done where 55% of a poll says he is a whistleblower:
http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institute...titute/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=1930

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
He is a whistleblower to the the people and organizations he has outed to the public, while others see him as a guy who did the right thing.

They shouldn't be charging him and treating him like he's does something wrong. Innocent until proven guilty...or does that suddenly not apply.... It's the fault of the American government for spying. They're in the wrong for lying to the public, not this man for telling what's really going on. But, really, you've got to be pretty dense to not think government is spying on you and other countires.

I guess the guy in the video is wording it like that because he wants Snowden to come back, plus if he's in Russia, they don't want to make US and Russian relationship worse.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
According to Snowden, the US were building a 'spy outpost' in Cornwall to keep tabs on the net.
He is a whistleblower saying how the US is spying on people, but he has also betrayed his country, therefore he's a traitor.

If it was the Cold War, Russia would've given him asylum to him just to stick 'two fingers up' to America. (Heck, part of that probably still applies today :3)

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
According to Snowden, the US were building a 'spy outpost' in Cornwall to keep tabs on the net.
He is a whistleblower saying how the US is spying on people, but he has also betrayed his country, therefore he's a traitor.
Traitor? I call it patriotism.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
-Mark Twain

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
Traitor? I call it patriotism.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
-Mark Twain

Being a patriot is agreeing and believing/supporting your country... going against your country and believing what the government are doing is wrong and releasing info about what your country is doing (which could apparently jeopardise the safety of the public )... kind of isn't...

... I expect he's made a bit of money from selling info about what America has been doing... So, Personally, I couldn't give a damn... TBH, we should've already guessed that someone had been 'watching' what goes on, what people access etc... you can't move IRL without being seen by someone or a camera.

IncarnatedDemon

^ Do you have any proof that Snowden is a traitor other than baseless speculation?
and the cameras monitoring us are in public space.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
^ Do you have any proof that Snowden is a traitor other than baseless speculation?
and the cameras monitoring us are in public space.

When you go against your country, you're a traitor...
Guy Fawkes was a traitor for trying to blow up Government
Plus, it's in the dictionary...

traitor [ˈtreɪtə]
n
a person who is guilty of treason or treachery, in betraying friends, country, a cause or trust, etc.

Here's the page I got the definition from:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/traitor

Can you prove he is either? Personally, people who believe they're doing the right thing don't run away.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The government is just mad because someone told on them and exposed the bad sh!t they were doing.

And also George Orwell's 1984 isn't a reality just yet.

IncarnatedDemon

When you go against your country, you're a traitor...
Guy Fawkes was a traitor for trying to blow up Government
Plus, it's in the dictionary...

Here's the page I got the definition from:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/traitor

Can you prove he is either? Personally, people who believe they're doing the right thing don't run away.
Traitors don't blow their cover. And it's highly understandable that Snowden left the country. Members of the US goverment have commited perjury i.e lying under oath, nothing has happened to them.
So commiting perjury is fine, but to tell the world and your fellow american what is really going on...is not.

I'll tell you this, the US goverment which is a representative of the USA, come off as one of the most corrupt and lying and traitor.
Iran may be a dictatorship with opression, but if your saying you stand for freedom and democracy something US goverment says USA stands for...
and u then go and do acts that are against human rights.

Look at the politicans in congress, the majority of them...comes off as rich capitalist who are being paid by companies to vote according to laws.

Where is the trust and honesty in that?

If USA was once a state that stood for freedom and democracy, it no longer is. To me most of the US goverment represents no more than a capitalist company of money greedy people.

I may not know if Snowden is a whistleblower or a traitor, i feel he is a whistleblower.

But so doesn't US goverment. yet without Snowden being put before a court of law, the spokesman of Whitehouse says "HE IS NOT A WHISTLEBLOWER."

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
You know I just thought of something.

The U.S. pretends they're the good guys who aren't illegally spying on its citizens but, he's hiding out in a country that does exactly that.

It is sad.

IncarnatedDemon

My Fellow Users,

I have been forced to make a difficult decision: to become complicit in crimes against the American people or walk away from nearly ten years of hard work by shutting down Lavabit. After significant soul searching, I have decided to suspend operations. I wish that I could legally share with you the events that led to my decision. I cannot. I feel you deserve to know what’s going on--the first amendment is supposed to guarantee me the freedom to speak out in situations like this. Unfortunately, Congress has passed laws that say otherwise. As things currently stand, I cannot share my experiences over the last six weeks, even though I have twice made the appropriate requests.

What’s going to happen now? We’ve already started preparing the paperwork needed to continue to fight for the Constitution in the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. A favorable decision would allow me resurrect Lavabit as an American company.

This experience has taught me one very important lesson: without congressional action or a strong judicial precedent, I would _strongly_ recommend against anyone trusting their private data to a company with physical ties to the United States.

Sincerely,
Ladar Levison
Owner and Operator, Lavabit LLC

Defending the constitution is expensive! Help us by donating to the Lavabit Legal Defense Fund here.
http://lavabit.com/

Further read:
Death Before Dishonor: Secure Email Services Close to Avoid U.S. Spying

Top Bottom