• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 to feature more survival horror

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Capcom’s Senior Vice President of marketing Michael Pattison has revealed that Resident Evil 7 will see the franchise return to its survival horror roots. Pattison says that company has taken onboard the criticism levelled at Resident Evil 6 by both gamers and the press, and will take that into account on the next game. He also listed both The Last of Us and Tomb Raider as games that have the perfect mix of action and survival.

“We have obviously seen the consumer response and the PR response.”
“There was some great positives out of that, but it was a mixed bag, as we saw from the review scores. We have got to take that on-board, we can’t ignore that, and we have to take that onto the next game when we make the next Resident Evil.

“With Resident Evil 6 specifically, we probably put too much content in there, there were comments from consumers that said it felt bloated. The Leon missions went down very well, and because we did Resident Evil Revelations on 3DS, there was a cry out for us to focus our attention on survival horror, rather than be too many things to all people. You’ll find where we go next will likely be more targeted at our core fanbase.

“A lot is said about the saturation of this zombie, post-apocalyptic survival horror. But it is still alive and well. The Last of Us shows a good direction of what the consumers want. Tomb Raider as well, we spoke to R&D and they looked at that and they enjoyed that experience. I think that proves there is still a strong market for that sort of content.”
-Source

Who cares about survival horror, just give me STEEEEEEEEVE!
onion_club_manga_emoticon_large_-1.jpg

I've been waiting for him for over 12 friggin years after Code Veronica! Darn it Caaaaaaapcom pleaaaaaase!

Still on the plus it's good they're learning. If they're getting some inspiration from The Last Of Us, it'll be interesting to see how they evolve the gameplay. Just hope they remember to make things scary again. I've haven't been spooked in an RE game since those Regenerators from RE4.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Capcom’s Senior Vice President of marketing Michael Pattison has revealed that Resident Evil 7 will see the franchise return to its survival horror roots.
HA HA funny i've heard that ever since RE5 was announced XD they're like broken record on and on with their fake promises...

Why don't they just let Resident evil Die in peace ? they just beating the dead horse at this point.

EDIT: This is my new "Resident evil" now
Capcom you can suck all the money out of the general COD crowd i'm done with RE.

aoshi

Oh dear, I jus hope they don't scrape mercenaries jus cuz its too much action for Resident evil.

EDIT: No word on rebooting.:O

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I understand Last of Us, but they think Tomb Raider is a good game to take hints from? They actually think it has good survival gameplay?
Ok so like Resident Evil 6 and Tomb Raider, I can expect RE7 to be another boring generic shooter with an identity crisis, good to know.

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
I've always said that Capcom don't even know what survival horror IS anymore, so for them to say that they're going to put more in doesn't do much to my confidence in the project.

The fact that Tomb Raider, of all things, is an example they're using only proves my point.

Rebooting would honestly be the best option at this point, go back to Raccoon City and start fresh, hell they could try retelling the events of 2/3, it wouldn't be the most original idea but it'll be better then anything they could think of at the moment.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I've always said that Capcom don't even know what survival horror IS anymore, so for them to say that they're going to put more in doesn't do much to my confidence in the project.

The fact that Tomb Raider, of all things, is an example they're using only proves my point.

Rebooting would honestly be the best option at this point, go back to Raccoon City and start fresh, hell they could try retelling the events of 2/3, it wouldn't be the most original idea but it'll be better then anything they could think of at the moment.
I think I'd prefer them rebooting too, I really loved those first few games and I still think that's where the series was most strongest. In the early titles it really was about survival and these characters who were in a situation they didn't know how to deal with, with some like Claire who weren't a cop or part of the army or even Outbreak where you played as folk from the city. With the later games fighting virus outbreaks became part of Chris and Jill's job with the army getting involved and that fear just kinda went.

They seriously need to go back and play their old titles and remember what made those games good. Although from what I saw of Relevations that seemed to have some horror in it, but they really gonna up the fear with their next title.

Honestly, I really wouldn't mind having the tank controls back too, or an option just to switch between that and the over shoulder camera view. I think in some ways the latter removed a bit of the fear too.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

Looking at Tomb Raider is stupid. Even the rebooted version. Apples and oranges. They're not going to take anything useful away from those games unless they are planning to turn RE in to Uncharted.

Tomb Raider didn't even have a fleshed out survival mechanic. You do one thing that's survival-ish and you never do it again. Lara kills an animal and feels bad about it and this was for "character development." You don't have to do any of this stuff. You don't have to hunt for food to survive. You don't have to seek shelter at night. You are on a linear path doing the survival sh!t when the game is ready for you to.

My hopes for the next RE has just dropped dramatically now. I hope they still decide to incorporate an open world.

I wish I could make the next RE game. I'd make sure it actually scares the sh!t outta you. I got so many ideas.

IncarnatedDemon

Wat Ch as GTA 5 sells over 5M.

Cap Com then says "GTA 5 shows us open world is good", and then makes Resident Evil 7 - open world.

Money...they are following the trail.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I
Honestly, I really wouldn't mind having the tank controls back too, or an option just to switch between that and the over shoulder camera view. I think in some ways the latter removed a bit of the fear too.
Ah the Outbreak games... what a failure they were after the first game it all went down the gutter.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Ah the Outbreak games... what a failure they were after the first game it all went down the gutter.
They still had a good idea though, it's just a shame the trailer isn't as good as the actual game. I'd still love for them to try and attempt it again because I did enjoy playing the first one...after I activated a cheat code so the virus percentage didn't go up and I could play it like a normal Resident Evil game without being rushed. That virus thing was a party killer.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
They still had a good idea though, it's just a shame the trailer isn't as good as the actual game. I'd still love for them to try and attempt it again because I did enjoy playing the first one...after I activated a cheat code so the virus percentage didn't go up and I could play it like a normal Resident Evil game without being rushed. That virus thing was a party killer.
Those games also had annoying Co-op bullsh!t.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Those games also had annoying Co-op bullsh!t.
With the button dialogue commands :lol: oh god don't remind me. They winded up using that in Haunting Ground, worked much better there with the dog commands.

Still I really wanted to try that online mode, just to turn into a zombie. Too bad it wasn't working anymore by the time I got it.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Looking at Tomb Raider is stupid. Even the rebooted version. Apples and oranges. They're not going to take anything useful away from those games unless they are planning to turn RE in to Uncharted.

Tomb Raider didn't even have a fleshed out survival mechanic. You do one thing that's survival-ish and you never do it again. Lara kills an animal and feels bad about it and this was for "character development." You don't have to do any of this stuff. You don't have to hunt for food to survive. You don't have to seek shelter at night. You are on a linear path doing the survival sh!t when the game is ready for you to.

My hopes for the next RE has just dropped dramatically now. I hope they still decide to incorporate an open world.

I wish I could make the next RE game. I'd make sure it actually scares the sh!t outta you. I got so many ideas.

Maybe Capcom is looking at the whole "camp" thing in Tomb Raider 2013, Far Cry 3, The Last of Us, and other games I don't really remember. Most if not all open-world games have something that allows you to obtain things. Games set in thriving areas have shops - black market or otherwise included. While games that are set in desolate wastelands, stranded areas, or areas with "issues" have crafting systems. Usually, procuring items is involved as well - "borrowing" vehicles, finding items, taking weapons off corpses, etc.

I have never played a Resident Evil game or horror games for personal reasons, but I do know that in the series you can find herbs and combine them. Maybe in an open world, it would function like Far Cry 3's were you find herbs and use them or save them. In many early games, there were times where you'd walk into a gun store and can only pick up ammo that were in boxes or whatever. Maybe in an open world, with today's technology, you could just simply raid the gun store and take whatever ammo you needed. Considering that at least 3 characters are trained militarily, maybe bomb making or something of that sort would be possible; most household materials can be turned into explosives, so I have heard.

Inspirations are weird sometimes. Grand Theft Auto inspired Hideo Kojima to make an open-world game, which turned out to be Metal Gear Solid V. Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear don't share much in common besides firearms until now which is the open-world structure of their games. I mean, what else was Kojima going to get out of GTA? Oh, Snake can now steal cars and perform drive-bys. Or Snake can steal drugs and sell them to fund his operations. Or Snake could find local gangs and perform ridiculous requests and gain their support and become the "Snakefather" or "Brother Boss". Dogs inspired Shigeru Miyamoto to make Nintendogs and I heard that cats inspired the cat suit in Super Mario 3D World. Miyamoto's childhood and exploring woods and caves inspired him to create the beloved The Legend of Zelda series. A fox god shrine inspired Miyamoto to create the Star Fox series. I swear reading somewhere that the combat director for Darksiders 2 used his fighting game background for Darksiders 2's combat.

Whenever someone says they're looking at something for inspiration, they could mean anything from that something. Here's a scenario: Ninja Theory is making a new game after the "Blue-haired Girl game" - yes, that is and will be the title according to me. Anyway, Ninja Theory announces that they're looking at Patton Oswalt, Halo, and Castlevania as inspirations for this new game. Everyone would be like, "WTF, are they thinking?!" So, as development goes through, it turns out what they were looking for from these strange ideas. From Oswalt, they're looking for cynical humor and the skit where Oswalt talks about a Mad Max wasteland as he relates to him needing to lose weight. Halo gave them the whole futuristic setting ideas along with energy-based weapons and Castlevania for the sandbox structure and Gothic architecture. Okay, so that means we're getting a Mad Max, apocalyptic, dead future game with random cathedrals, laser guns and sabers, and gargoyles in an open-world - I don't know if that's cool or if that is insane.

Man, I just can't wait until Ubisoft says their next Assassin's Creed will take hints from Lollipop Chainsaw and be inspired by Twinkies. Yeah, can't wait to play as an obese Templar swinging around a bedazzled chainsaw in a cheerleader costume. *shudders* I would hate every leap of faith I had to do.

Anyway, scary images aside, maybe a future Resident Evil could put us in the shoes of a civilian, like Claire Redfield, but minus the "I was trained by my older brother who happens to be an elite soldier and can destroy boulders with his bare hands" thing. You're in a city that recently suffered an outbreak. Great, sounds like any zombie media out there. Heck, this sounds like The Last of Us which had shroombies. Continuing, as one of the survivors of the outbreak or the idiot who decided crossing through a city infested with ravenous, flesh eating zombies was a good idea, you must find a way to get the hell out of there. How does this tie into Resident Evil? I have no idea. Maybe some crackpot decided releasing a biological agent into a densely populated city would be fun or something. Maybe it could take place during RE6. I don't know, I don't write the script for these games. Where's the horror, I don't really know. It's survival-horror, so since you're an average civilian, you're probably going to start out as a defenseless, walking hot dog for the zombies. You find gear while avoiding said zombies and the crazy cult guys. Since it's a city, there are probably tons of zombies lurking about. Avoid them unless you want to be the mob leader. Oh, and watch out for zombies from the sky; they're zombies, they don't "feel" pain... And this is what happens when someone who has no idea or very little experience of a genre tries to make something out of said genre. Might as well add explosions, beautiful women and men, and alcohol to make this thing sell.

Top Bottom