• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

REBORN, a Cyberpunk RPG with Japanese Mythology.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
41dfd78635cda0bae2a81709da9783a2_large.jpg

This looks awesome. So, a new Kickstarter project has been launched by Elemental-Labs for the PS3 and PS4; stretch goals will add the PS Vita, Xbox One and PC at above $550,000. Elemental-Labs asks for $200,000, yes, that's right, $200,000 for a PS3 and PS4 game or as the developers call it, an ARPG, action role-playing game - it'll be digital release at first, unless it reaches the (current) final stretch goal. Think of Deus Ex and Devil May Cry combined if you're thinking about visuals and style, but Kingdom Hearts and to an extent, Dissidia and the upcoming Final Fantasy XV are ARPGs as well. Kickstarter, "REBORN by Elemental-Labs, Inc." Siliconera, "A Cyberpunk RPG With Miyamoto Musashi For PS4 and PS3 Hopes To Be Reborn".

Anyway, to summarize some of what the developers want and its a huge list of things they will do along with things about the game and the team, REBORN stars Miyamoto Musashi, the legendary Japanese swordsman known for his duel-wielding, combat strategies, and as the creator of Niten Ichi-ryu. In REBORN, Miyamoto is a leader of a group of heroes out to stop Rena Nakano, the current president of Neo-Tokyo. Anyway, Neo-Tokyo is also controlled by the Nexus Roku Corporation - Nakano controls the corporation so she also controls Neo-Tokyo - which probably references the current world and how industries basically influence or outright control the government. It also refers to Metal Gear and Deus Ex with the whole cybernetics deal. Nakano is a cyborg as are many people in this world and following similar stories of leaders wanting absolute power, she seeks the Tear of Heaven so gain immortality. Said Tear of Heaven also was used to seal the Tengu Demon Sojobo. Yeah, you know where this is going to head.

Gameplay-wise, it's pretty much a hack n' slash with RPG elements. As Miyamoto, players will have access to unarmed combat, armed combat, and Focus and Ogi moves - think Supers and Ultras in Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom, The King of Fighters, etc. A mechanic called Chain Time lets players use any Focus and Ogi moves for a short period of time. Stealth will be available should players want to go for a Dishonored path of the game. Augmentations like in Deus Ex and sort of Metal Gear Rising will be present. And there will be a Social Perception system. I think it's going to be similar to the morality system used in inFAMOUS, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect, etc. Basically, it'll affect how NPCs perceive you - enemies, allies, and regular ol' Joes and Janes, alike. So, if you go on a murderous rampage, people might fear you, distrust you, and even hate you since you would appear to be nothing more than a crazed vigilante or a bloodthirsty thug.

Currently, since Miyamoto seems to be the central character, reaching the minimum will only have him as the sole playable character. Stretch goals will lead to Tsukihime, Senhime, and Sasaki Kojiro. It seems, though, that they will be co-op characters or something. It's not really specified.

Anyway, Elemental-Labs promises 20 hours of gameplay and hopes to release the game by Fall 2014. Along with that, they'll have the House of Moves, a motion capture studio, and Shin Komayada, the actor from The Last Samurai.

System-wise, I noticed something strange. PS3, PS Vita, and PC will be using the Unreal Engine 3; PS4 and Xbox One will use the Unreal Engine 4. I don't know why the PC isn't using UE4 since PC are capable of it. Minor or maybe a major detail for some.

Concept art of Miyamoto as he appears in the game.
550cca20130920134745_1.jpg

Seriously, he looks like TGS 2010 DmC Dante except with a daisho, ponytail, and being less gaunt. Hell, the devil's even smoking. If this catches on, then maybe the theory - no pun intended - of DmC: Devil May Cry and to an extent Final Fantasy XIII, Ninja Gaiden 3, and plenty of other games in famous franchises having different titles would sell more might ring true.

Other concept art of Miyamoto.
1196487439.jpg

600x338.jpg

Reminds me of Bujingai and I guess, Blade Runner. Speaking of which, I haven't watched that film yet. Also, no pun intended - Miyamoto has blades, he runs... I should not explain jokes even if they're bad.
annunciato-reborn-nuovo-action-gdr-per-ps3-e--L-2KhinV.jpeg

In-game screenshot.
image29.png

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Vergil fused with Raiden lol.

Miyamoto Musashi was cool before Vergil, Raiden, Dante, etc. came along. Hell, he's an actual person unlike those fakers. Personally, going with what's said about Miyamoto Musashi, he's more like Dante in terms of personality, attitude, and combat philosophy. He's pretty much a pragmatist when it comes to combat and cares more about surviving over honor. Vergil's the stoic swordsman and I think he would apply to someone else, maybe Sasaki Kojiro? Raiden is a psychopath at times and I don't remember any psychopathic samurai that I could bring up.

Anyway, one thing I don't like about his design is that he looks sort of bishonen-y. I would of liked something more like Vagabond's take on Miyamoto. That said, there were accounts that Miyamoto wasn't handsome and Vagabond's take does make him look decent. Then again, considering he fought a lot, scars probably made him look "ugly".
Vagabond_Musashi.jpg

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Japanese mythology??? Robots and cyberpunk??? Cybord swordsmen and ninja??? 3D action RPG???

NOW THIS IS MY KIND OF KICKSTARTER GAME!!!

I would've supported this game if I have the money to do so right now but I hope it gets the money it deserve.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Anyway, one thing I don't like about his design is that he looks sort of bishonen-y. I would of liked something more like Vagabond's take on Miyamoto. That said, there were accounts that Miyamoto wasn't handsome and Vagabond's take does make him look decent. Then again, considering he fought a lot, scars probably made him look "ugly".
Vagabond_Musashi.jpg

Over 60 duels with no defeat. The guy is truly a sword saint and invincible under the sun.
The only thing that this cyber punk Musashi lacks is beard but hey i'm interested to see where this is going and it seems really looks interesting.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
Dunno why, but I've got two words for this:

I'M HYPED!!! :D

Now to add that to my List of PS4 Games To Get (alongside FFXV now that it's mentioned here)!

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Dunno why, but I've got two words for this:

I'M HYPED!!! :D

Now to add that to my List of PS4 Games To Get (alongside FFXV now that it's mentioned here)!
And to think, they only need $200,000 for this beyond awesome, beyond legendary game (Keiji Inafune needs 900,000 for a simple 2D game... shameful).

There's only one word to describe this game:

Eternal.

------------------------------------------------

Makes sense, considering that the game is called "REBORN".

I cannot recommend this game enough to everyone. Even if they're not a fan of these types of games, they would have to play this at least once, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Erm, I should have mentioned this a while ago, like about a month or two ago: the project was taken off of Kickstarter so they can present a better product with actual gameplay videos, images, and behind the scenes videos. In other words, they want to make this game look even better than it was on paper.

Top Bottom