• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Question

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
In old topics that I was reading out of boredom, people often mentioned "rep", which I believe stands for reputation.

What did it mean, exactly?

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
You're right "rep" did indeed stand for reputation, it's basically an old system we had implemented here that you could use in order to reward members with "reputation" for good, informative, constructive or entertaining posts, there was no real purpose to it to be honest, but generally, if you had a lot of it, it tended to show people that you were a well mannered member of the forums who made excellent contributions.

The reason it was removed was because people abused it, giving rep to people just for the sake of giving rep, there were even threads dedicated to giving the member above you rep, it was quite sad really and it became nothing more than an e-peen extension that drifted far from it's original purpose. Then there were the inherent ego problems that came along with it, people with large amounts of rep had this tendency to believe that they were infinitely superior to every other member on the forum because of it.

Hence, it exists no longer.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
Angelo Credo;230983 said:
You're right "rep" did indeed stand for reputation, it's basically an old system we had implemented here that you could use in order to reward members with "reputation" for good, informative, constructive or entertaining posts, there was no real purpose to it to be honest, but generally, if you had a lot of it, it tended to show people that you were a well mannered member of the forums who made excellent contributions.

The reason it was removed was because people abused it, giving rep to people just for the sake of giving rep, there were even threads dedicated to giving the member above you rep, it was quite sad really and it became nothing more than an e-peen extension that drifted far from it's original purpose. Then there were the inherent ego problems that came along with it, people with large amounts of rep had this tendency to believe that they were infinitely superior to every other member on the forum because of it.

Yeah I remember rep but never really questioned where it went. Well there ya go you learn something new everyday.

Poroner

I,Buki,Mio,Da

Was it realy so sad?

AzureNight13

Azure Night Goddess.... Or Wesker's daughter
Premium
I was actually thinking about that recently. "Why was the rep taken out?" I missed so much back then lol

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Well, that's for rating the thread. I don't think every thread has that. At least, to my knowledge.

AzureNight13

Azure Night Goddess.... Or Wesker's daughter
Premium
The crazy demon;231023 said:
Dont we have something like that now, those gray squares at the side of threads names, those are rep for the thread

Nope. Rep was a button that was on the bottom of your post I beileve. Next to "Quote". But as I said, it's been too long since I've been back here.

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
I've been on a forum where they had to remove things like a members post count because people did similar things to what Credo said - spammed and thought they were superior because of their post count etc...

It was...and still is very sad!

Daring Dylan

This is all we got now.
Vergil'sB*tch;231059 said:
DSC has it, i will not put rep on there though

It's not rep on Proboards, it's karma. And if you go to FGAM, there's a user there with about -60, because someone (who's now banned) abused it.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades

^WHew...thank god it doesn't mr.Credo,you have to see all the crap that goes in other forums just because of that system...Hongfire for example is chaotic.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Ebony;231050 said:
I've been on a forum where they had to remove things like a members post count because people did similar things to what Credo said - spammed and thought they were superior because of their post count etc...

It was...and still is very sad!

So, if I was on there, my near 3000 post count would be null?

I mean, not like my post count matters, but it shows I've contributed quite a bit.

I don't think I've spammed once, actually. At least, to my knowledge.

I sound like a total ass now...

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
Yeah.

I like seeing people's post count, but to be honest with you if I couldn't see yours I'd still know you contributed to threads regularly ' cuz I visit here often and see them! However, someone like me - I read the posts I just don't always have much to say, lol.

Does that even make sense!? I'm sorry if it doesn't I've forgotten what I was trying to say.......

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
It makes perfect sense. You can still see that I'm a major contributor, post count or not. Then you said that you don't always have much to say, which means you'd be considered a "lurker".

At least, I think.

Meg

I like seeing people's post counts. While you can still tell who's a big contributor its nice to see. For instance, DT you joined after me and yet you have like 100x more posts than me. Now THAT'S dedication. ^_^ And with me, it wasn't until recently that I started to post more, but some days I still don't post much. So I guess I'm both a lurker and a contributor. :lol: Jack of all trades. :cool:

Top Bottom