• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

question...though idk if anyone here would know how to answer this...

RedRose

Kael
alright, my dad said he'd try to get me a booth at megacon next year so i'm trying to prepare and make t-shirt designs n all. I have some with my original works but i do have one issue. I have a couple of really bad ass designs that I did with DMC, it's my drawings but i don't know if i can sell them without the company's permision. and last thing i want is a total crisis on my hands or something. i have a thing on the side of the images that pretty much states that i don't own DMC but i'm not sure if that's enough. someone give me a little help if you can? please?

btw poll's up, please vote!

http://forums.devilmaycry.org/threads/devil-may-cry-t-shirt-design-poll.9268/#post-284062

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I don't think you can sell things with a company's product without that company's permission. But I may be wrong. I haven't looked into this sort of thing before.

Meg

I do believe using someone else's work, even with a disclaimer, for a profit and without permission is against the law. Kinda like how you can't charge people to see a movie at your house.

RedRose

Kael
I don't think you can sell things with a company's product without that company's permission. But I may be wrong. I haven't looked into this sort of thing before.

yeah, that's why i'm afraid to even post them on the internet, but i really want to sell them, they're really bad ass looking design-wise. i don't want to do anything illegal though. i wish i knew someone who knew how to answer this kind of question.

or for someone to tell me how to get in contact with the company but the only thing is that i'm pretty sure if i do get in some kind of contact with them and let's say the ok it i'm pretty sure i'll have to pay roalties or they'll take the disign. either way i don't think it's going to work. which is really upsetting cause i know they'd probaly sell pretty well.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Well, you can post them on the internet so long as you aren't making some form of profit.

RedRose

Kael
eh, i'm getting sick and tired of posting my art on the internet cause people **** me off. i half want to just delete all of my art profile acounts and disapear from the internet art world for a while but if i do then i may miss out on an awesome opertunity. idk, i feel like i'm going nowhere right now and i hate it.

Mr Anderson

gun slinging sword master
COpyright says DMC and all that goes with it is capcom I bet you could sell with their permission if you gave them a part of your profits

RedRose

Kael
COpyright says DMC and all that goes with it is capcom I bet you could sell with their permission if you gave them a part of your profits

well that's the thing, how would i get it to them? how much would they want? eh it just seems like a little too much of a hastle right now, maybe i'll try to find a t-shirt company that deals with that kind of stuff later, as of right now i need to concentrate on other things anyway. thank you all for your suggestions though ^^ i do appreciate them. i knew this was a hard question and you all did the best you could, thank you

RedRose

Kael
hmmmm....wait a minute....i kinda have an idea....what if....anyone know how to contact the maker of this site? i've got an interesting idea for them.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
if i were you i would call them and ask, it never hurt to do such a thing. you aren't starting your own clothing line, so i think there's a good chance that they would be lenient. if your shirts look cool, then that's advertising for them. just remember that telling them you will hang a sign saying they are not official designs from capcom may help you lube the deal.

here's their contact numbers:

if you are afraid of calling the wrong one, i wouldn't be. they can always redirect you or give you the number for where you are trying to reach - corporations are pretty nifty that way!
Contact Us said:
For general enquiries and other business offer, please contact the number below.
Capcom Co., Ltd. (Main Line)
Phone Number : +81-6-6920-3600
*Business hours : Mon-Fri 9:00-12:00, 13:00-17:30

About our home video games and other character-related products, please refer your enquiries to our "Capcom Customer Support Section"
Capcom Customer Support Section
Phone Number : +81-6-6946-3099
*Business hours : Mon-Fri 9:00-12:00, 13:00-17:30

RedRose

Kael
if i were you i would call them and ask, it never hurt to do such a thing. you aren't starting your own clothing line, so i think there's a good chance that they would be lenient. if your shirts look cool, then that's advertising for them. just remember that telling them you will hang a sign saying they are not official designs from capcom may help you lube the deal.

here's their contact numbers:

if you are afraid of calling the wrong one, i wouldn't be. they can always redirect you or give you the number for where you are trying to reach - corporations are pretty nifty that way!

awesome! thank you ^^

V

Oldschool DMC fan
You can try to contact them, it would be the 'right' thing to do, but I doubt they will give you the time of day. It must happen a lot because I've seen many, many 'unofficial' designs and merchandise not only from DMC but their other franchises floating about on the net, and I'm fairly sure most of the people making those don't bother to tell CAPCOM, and CAPCOM doesn't bother to pursue them because all they will have to go on is an eBay account or something, which is easily deleted and denied. I've also seen unofficial merch at markets and in game stores. I doubt it ever gets back to CAPCOM itself.

That said, I know CAPCOM does officially endorse other artists. So, you never know.

RedRose

Kael
You can try to contact them, it would be the 'right' thing to do, but I doubt they will give you the time of day. It must happen a lot because I've seen many, many 'unofficial' designs and merchandise not only from DMC but their other franchises floating about on the net, and I'm fairly sure most of the people making those don't bother to tell CAPCOM, and CAPCOM doesn't bother to pursue them because all they will have to go on is an eBay account or something, which is easily deleted and denied. I've also seen unofficial merch at markets and in game stores. I doubt it ever gets back to CAPCOM itself.

That said, I know CAPCOM does officially endorse other artists. So, you never know.

yeah i know what you're saying and it is slightly why I wanted to do it but the last thing I want to do is get a giant corperate dick-slap to the face. I also doubt that they'll go out of their way to contact me back or whatever but it's better to be safe than sorry.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I agree. I also would not want corporate dick-slap.

Let us know what the outcome of your enquiries with CAPCOM were...?

RedRose

Kael
I agree. I also would not want corporate dick-slap.

Let us know what the outcome of your enquiries with CAPCOM were...?

I'll try though it's not going to be anytime soon, I'm going to make a few more designs and see which ones are most favorable among the fans, I'm thinking about doing the poll here actualy, see what designs people like the best then bring that (or those) designs up to capcom.

Dante'sgirl

Forever For Dante

Doing the poll here is actually a great idea...
About contacting Capcom I think you should do it...If you are sick of displaying your stuff on the net then its time to move on dude...take your time and be confident!!

RedRose

Kael
Doing the poll here is actually a great idea...
About contacting Capcom I think you should do it...If you are sick of displaying your stuff on the net then its time to move on dude...take your time and be confident!!

yeah, as for the rather depressing comments i've made, i was just having a bad day. i hadn't seen my GF in over 2 months (we've been together for 5 years and this was our longest seperation yet and also she's been ill with an aomeba in her eye and i haven't been there to comfort her which i hate) and lot's of other reasons but i'm feeling much better now and i've got my head on straight once again so please disregard them, just like everyone else, i have my own issues in reality and some are hard to cope with.

Top Bottom