• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Question about Nero as a protagonist and the SE.

RedNether

"Sorry, but I don't lose."
Premium
If I love new Dante as a protagonist, will Nero be right around my alley? and in general, is the Special Edition of the game worth playing over the original retail release for the PS4 and X360?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Many people have said that Nero and reboot Dante are quite similar in personality and I tend to agree to some extent so there's that. You may get a bit annoyed at the tantrums Nero tends to throw every now and again though, it's one of the reasons he's not super population.

Now on to the meat of the question. If the SE is worth buying, honestly depends on what you like in Devil May Cry. If you want significant story additions, this ain't a good deal. If you love to master and delve into its deep combat system, then for that price you should get it. The SE is basically 3 new playable characters (Vergil, Lady and Trish), new skin for each of the 5 characters and The Legendary Dark Knight mode, which is super fun, it increases the enemy spawn by A LOT, making the field pretty much covered in demons for you to beat up. It's a mode that was in the original PC version but not in the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions so if you didn't get to experience it (as your post seem to imply), it will be a plus for you. Same thing for Turbo mode, which increases the game speed by 20%. That was also a mode that was on PC but not on console.

Goldsickle

I played the original back in 2008 and then the Special Edition a while ago and I can say that the latter is definitely worth buying, due to certain tweaks.
If you have purchased the sprint upgrade, all the characters will sprint quickly if there are no enemies on-screen (instead of needing to run 10 steps before the sprinting kicks in).

Also, all types of charge attacks (there maybe some exceptions) can be charged in between loading times, allowing you to charge a shot before entering a room and then releasing it on an enemy right after the room is loaded.
You can also maintain charges during cutscenes.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Update: Found a copy at quite a reasonable price on Amazon Japan, it's 2,627 Yen. which is 23.8265 USD.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/DEVIL-MAY-...=8-1&keywords=devil+may+cry+4+special+edition

If you want to pick up a version of the Special Edition that has English subtitles and dual voice support, pick up the Asian Region version, not the Japanese version. One thing to mention is that in addition to new characters and costumes, the Special Edition also apparently received some tuning up of its hit detection, mechanical nuance, and style points requirements to make it more balanced than its original released. It's not the complete overhaul like DmC: Definitive Edition got, but it's a nice touch if you found some of the original enemy types/combat mechanics a little off in certain places.

As for the original discussion regarding Nero and the rebooted Dante...it really depends on what you like about rDante that will determine you warming up to Nero. Dante in DmC has some emotional versatility that enables him a lot more scenes depicting anger, frustration, confidence or determination than his Classic counterpart. But Nero's an angry faucet of hot-blooded impulses, which I believe a part of that has to deal with being Vergil's offspring, and essentially representing a lot of the angry impulses Vergil tended to wall up behind a cold, calculating exterior, that you only got glimpses of in combat or when someone pressed the right button. Nero's essentially a younger, less composed version of Vergil, with no cold-blooded facade and all his impulse and audacity laid out for the world to see.

That's probably why Dante begins to suspect the source of his lineage from their first fight (aside from some of the obvious give-aways, like the white hair and the demonic, glowing arm).

RedNether

Premium
If you want to pick up a version of the Special Edition that has English subtitles and dual voice support, pick up the Asian Region version, not the Japanese version. One thing to mention is that in addition to new characters and costumes, the Special Edition also apparently received some tuning up of its hit detection, mechanical nuance, and style points requirements to make it more balanced than its original released. It's not the complete overhaul like DmC: Definitive Edition got, but it's a nice touch if you found some of the original enemy types/combat mechanics a little off in certain places.

As for the original discussion regarding Nero and the rebooted Dante...it really depends on what you like about rDante that will determine you warming up to Nero. Dante in DmC has some emotional versatility that enables him a lot more scenes depicting anger, frustration, confidence or determination than his Classic counterpart. But Nero's an angry faucet of hot-blooded impulses, which I believe a part of that has to deal with being Vergil's offspring, and essentially representing a lot of the angry impulses Vergil tended to wall up behind a cold, calculating exterior, that you only got glimpses of in combat or when someone pressed the right button. Nero's essentially a younger, less composed version of Vergil, with no cold-blooded facade and all his impulse and audacity laid out for the world to see.

That's probably why Dante begins to suspect the source of his lineage from their first fight (aside from some of the obvious give-aways, like the white hair and the demonic, glowing arm).

Just one question, did you get your copy this way (at least for Nero and Vergil)? and is the price worth the invest?

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Just one question, did you get your copy this way (at least for Nero and Vergil)? and is the price worth the invest?
Yes, this is how I secured my copy back in 2015 or so.

Whether or not the price is worth it or not depends on many things:
  1. Do you prefer having this game physically? Because digital versions of this game exist, as previous posters have pointed out, and it will probably be $10 cheaper than ordering it from PlayAsia. The only difference between those versions and the physical versions in Asian/Japanese territories is the presence of a disc, and the option to select Japanese voices (which are not found in Western digital releases due to the licensing and royalty issues concerning the Japanese voice cast. A similar thing happened with Dragon's Dogma when it was re-released for PC). If you NEED it physically, this will be your only means of obtaining it.
  2. DMC4 is the textbook definition of an acquired taste. If you don't LOVE the characters, the combat system, the environments and enemy types...the re-use of all of them throughout the campaign may fatigue you to the point where you ultimately get sick of them, or worse, despise them. Thing is, DMC4 was already my uncontested favorite in the series, so getting the best physical edition of the game with refinements and some extra content was a no-brainer for me. Yeah, you basically run around the same environments and fight the same bosses/enemies as different characters, but I love the game too much to let those things bother me...I liked the characters and story (Nero in particular is my favorite protagonist next to DMC1 Dante), and I find that the combat is the ultimate realization of Devil May Cry's mechanics, almost perfected. However, I have very particular, and in some instances, unusual tastes when it comes to this series, as many others on this forum will doubtless point out. My preferences don't mirror everyone else.
Ultimately, DMC4: SE is more of the same exact game, but with slightly more content to take advantage of for die-hard fans of the original release like myself. I needed both DmC: DE and DMC4: SE at all costs, since they give me the most enjoyment out of the series. It all depends on if you enjoy the games that much to warrant the purchase, coupled with the factors I mentioned above.

RedNether

Premium
I will be getting it, once I'm back home.

Thank you WolfOD, Foxtrot and Goldsickle for your help. it is very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Nero is more of the "I will do anything for love anime style" character while reboot Dante is more of "western media's idea of a troubled but kind hearted young adult." Two individuals taking different paths that lead to the same result. Love, self worth, and being superhuman strong. If you enjoy cliche anime heroes then Nero will be up your alley.
You should buy the Special Edition of DMC4 because it contains all of DMC4 with additional characters, features and modes. It is really the best version of DMC4.

Top Bottom