• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Play3 Magazine Review : 8.9/10

Azurel

@sonicsphere:

Games like Esther have taken the first-person perspective to new heights in terms of storytelling. There's hope for the genre yet... for now. :/

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Absolutely true, but even a reviewer has to base his review on an opinion, if it isn't his own then why bother...

I'm not saying the reviewer can't show what he thinks about games, I'm saying he shouldn't let it influence the grade. Nobody who reads your reviews cares that you don't like Dante's hair. They care about how high a quality game it is.

So no, reviews are not useless because they only show the facts. They DO show what the reviewer's opinion is on the game, so yes, I do agree that you should find a reviewer who suits your personality. I often watch Croshaw's work myself (Zero Punctuation), so I agree that opinions are worth something. I'm just saying you can't judge a game based on what is to your taste about it.

For example: if I said I didn't like what your coat looks like, would that make it a bad coat? No, of course not, because that's my opinion, and somebody else might love your coat. This is how it works: if it's a winter coat, how well does it keep out the cold? Is it comfortable? Subjectivity is allowed in reviews, as long as you don't pretend your opinion is fact.

Razyel

Soul Reaver
I'm not saying the reviewer can't show what he thinks about games, I'm saying he shouldn't let it influence the grade. Nobody who reads your reviews cares that you don't like Dante's hair. They care about how high a quality game it is.

So no, reviews are not useless because they only show the facts. They DO show what the reviewer's opinion is on the game, so yes, I do agree that you should find a reviewer who suits your personality. I often watch Croshaw's work myself (Zero Punctuation), so I agree that opinions are worth something. I'm just saying you can't judge a game based on what is to your taste about it.

For example: if I said I didn't like what your coat looks like, would that make it a bad coat? No, of course not, because that's my opinion, and somebody else might love your coat. This is how it works: if it's a winter coat, how well does it keep out the cold? Is it comfortable? Subjectivity is allowed in reviews, as long as you don't pretend your opinion is fact.
I guess our definitions of "opinion" differ quite much, but I still agree with you :)

WorkenOnMaLeft

Why are you so sure pros and cons depend on opinion? I wrote in a review that Splinter Cell: Conviction's screen turning black and white when you're invisible to your enemies sucks the atmosphere out of a game. You've got a city skyline as a backdrop, and then the screen turns black and white. How is that not a fact but an opinion?

If I said Game of Thrones was a good tv show because it features well thought out characters and an interesting story filled with intrigue, backstabbing, violence and who-knows-what, and a believable setting, would you say I'm wrong? Would you rate a story I just made up using the character called Derp McFaggot as highly as GoT? Seriously, then what is the use of reviews like those of Roger Ebert, which are usually based on what's factually good about movies? Has he wasted his life choosing the profession of reviewer? Do we only need to look at something, go ''Yep, that's a good movie'' and that's it? Come on, man.
@your splinter cell comment: i loved that game, are you talking about the stage where you are on some rooftops at night? i never even noticed the skyline because the de saturation immersed ME into the atmosphere of being a modern day ninja (which is the whole point i even play splinter cell). funny how opinions work right? i hope that example was enough to prove my point. if not then about game of thrones: "interesting story filled with intrigue" and "believable setting" are 100% opinion driven statements. things like "backstabbing" and "violence" arent since that is factually happening in the series. i hope i am being clear.

ji-high

No news on a sequel, except for the initial report of, ''we're working on it'' from DICE. Unfortunately, there are also sequel holdups with Beyond Good and Evil 2, whose parkour looks especially fluid, giving even Assassin's Creed III a run for its money. But, neither one of those are going to come out anytime soon. :(

We'll just have to do with other parkour-action games until then.

Well, still no game in First Person view for me then i guess... Thanks for the clarification.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Don't believe any reviews at this time, it's all just to hype the game.
Very much talked about games 90% of the time gets high scores just to convince gamers to buy it that much more.
Like movies.
But reviews come out before any game, and not all reviews are good so that means that reviews aren't meant to hype games. They are made to give consumers an idea of what they may or may not buy.
EDIT: And just because a game is popular doesn't mean its going to come out good. Just look at Resident Evil 6 (mixed reviews), Soul Calibur V (mixed reviews), The Darkness 2 (mixed reviews), Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City (mostly bad reviews), Silent Hill Downpour, Ninja Gaiden 3, and so on.

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control
Don't believe any reviews at this time, it's all just to hype the game.
Very much talked about games 90% of the time gets high scores just to convince gamers to buy it that much more.

Like movies.

What? You think Capcom bribed them or something? Or they're marketing the game for Capcom?

Game writers aren't evil bastards, they're gamers like you and me doing a job. Just because you think that they give the game good reviews for marketing purposes doesn't mean its true.

Also, you have to recognise that a game review is an opinion, not gospel truth.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
They used to be meant for that but now there's far too much personal opinion mixed in reviews.
Good Bad, i don't believe any of the so-called professional reviews.
You wanna see how good a game is, then see how soon before gamers start trading it in.
Well I'm just pointing out that what you said isn't true about reviews hyping games.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Really, because alot of hot topic titles has gotten high scores, it would have to be a NinjaGaiden3 before it gets average.
But I gave you alot of examples of games that were really popular and talked about but got bad scores:
Resident Evil 6
Ninja Gaiden 3
Soul Calibur V
Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City
The Darkness 2
Silent Hill Downpour

Just because a game gets a high score doesn't automatically mean the reviewer was paid to give a good review because the game is popular it just means the reviewer found it to be a good game. Just like here with DmC. It is getting good scores because the reviewers are finding it to be a good game.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
And just because they gave a good review doesn't automatically mean it's a good game.
It's all opinion & reviewers opinion's are far too full of BS to be taken seriously.
This is very true. I don't find every reviewer to be full of bs, but you can never tell. I have high hopes for the game and so far the reviews are just reassuring my claims. I'll judge it for sure once I play the full game.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
That's one of the best things to do but doesn't really matter because you've bought the game.
For anyone on the fence about something, i say don't rely on reviews.
Rent it first because whether if you think it's good or bad doesn't really matter after you've already paid for it.
? You're saying our opinions don't matter if we actually pay for the game? That doesn't make much sense our opinions matter just as much as anybody else's. And just because we pay for the game doesn't mean we can't think it is bad.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
After you buy it you can say it's good or bad think it's good or bad, stomp on it, burn it, paint it pretty colors all you want.
However you've already spent your money for it & that speaks louder then anything.
And you can't build gaming companies off opinions & hugs.
But our opinions matter, in fact I think people who actually buy the game have the most substantial opinion because they are the ones who dedicate their time to playing through the game, mastering the gameplay, experiencing all there is to experience and so forth. So I would say the people who buy the game have a very heavy input on the game and how it is. Btw you can always return the game and get your money back, just saying.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Yea our opinions matter when developers are looking for feedback on making more games but they're really after our money lol.
And do developers factor in game refunds into how well a title has sold.
Well I'm just saying the people who buy the game opinions matter too. And yeah their main goal is to make money, making video games is a business after all.
I'm pretty sure if a copy is refunded then it doesn't count but I'm not 100% on that.

ZeroLove

VW, you have become irrational enough to be an actual hater. It's hard to respect your opinion when you aren't even going to try and understand others'. Sorry, but from now on your opinion and posts about DmC will be disregarded from my side. You aren't contributing anything to this part of the forum other than your unreasonable hatred.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I'm pretty sure if a copy is refunded then it doesn't count but I'm not 100% on that.
I didn't think games could be refunded if they were not liked, only unless they were broken in some way.
At my local gamestore, they won't let you get a refund or return on a game if you had it bought double as a present. Apparently it is not in their 'policy'. So I have two of the same game at home. >_<

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I didn't think games could be refunded if they were not liked, only unless they were broken in some way.
At my local gamestore, they won't let you get a refund or return on a game if you had it bought double as a present. Apparently it is not in their 'policy'. So I have two of the same game at home. >_<
I think it must vary from country to country and store to store. Law supersedes policy but people rarely know the law, only what the store tells them.

In the UK, consumer rights are such that you can pretty much get away with returning anything by ranting about your statutory rights which puts the fear of God into any sales person and they quickly do what you want - usually because they don't know what you're talking about or their rights as a retailer.

I personally think if you're bought the game, played it and decide you don't like it then you shouldn't return it for a full refund - only if it's either broken, unused and still wrapped (like a double copy, for example) or you opened the box and found a biscuit instead of a disc in it. Personal preferences or simply achievement hunting are not reasons enough to demand a full refund on something you have used - it's kind of like when you buy some clothes and keep the tags on so you can look good for one evening before returning the items claiming you've "changed your mind" or "they don't fit". You've bought it, used it - so suck it up and either shelve it for a while or ebay it.

But that's a whole 'nother discussion ;)

Slightly more on-topic: I've yet to read an utterly unbiased and objective review from anyone about anything. It just doesn't seem possible to me - one man's toxic waste is another man's pot pourri, as the Grinch would say...

Top Bottom