• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ok we all wanna say it but don’t

Handsome Devil Sparda

How did this happen

91yqu4g5dtc11.png

I even heard that he’s even voiced by a white guy! So why did they do this?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Changing Morrison's ethnicity was stupid but even if he was voiced by a white guy, so what. Get on with the times, there's nothing wrong with voice actors performing as characters of another's race. If a black dude can voice Kratos, a white fellow can do black Morrison.

Last edited:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I honestly don't get what you mean by "we all wanna say it but don't". Changes in character design happen all the time. There's no weird mystery to it. They just decided to change it. -shrugs- (For the record, I like the redesign. He looks nice; very huggable, too. And the way they handled his clothes has more character and personality than the anime's version.)

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Personally, I was hoping for a mind swap storyline like Psylocke from the X-men.

Oh well.

He kinda reminds me of the actor Djimon Honsou.

My best guess is they wanted to kill two birds with one stone. They had a new character design but they also wanted to reference other DMC stories. So they just did both by giving Morrison this new design.

To be fair, I would've just told them to make a new character instead. For me, Morrison and Patty weren't highlights of the anime so I wasn't in a rush to see them again.

Last edited:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Would've been nice if they Bond Theory'd it and made it an organization of informants who went by a codename of Morrison, but saying he's the same guy from the anime and that he's apparently known Dante for longer than the anime was stupid. They could try making it less like they were ripping Phineas and Rodin.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
They could try making it less like they were ripping Phineas and Rodin.
Yep. I mentioned them making their own version of Rodin back in this thread.

Post #126.
Probably because Bayonetta has Rodin, as both are black bald dudes that smoke cigars that supply or broker information to the protagonist. The difference being Morrison is human and a lot nicer compared to Rodin. Rodin I find funnier though. I thought it was an odd choice, and not necessary, but this is one of those cases where am I not going to make a big deal of it.

Handsome Devil Sparda

Changing Morrison's ethnicity was stupid but even if he was voiced by a white guy, so what. Get on with the times, there's nothing wrong with voice actors performing as characters of another's race. If a black dude can voice Kratos, a white fellow can do black Morrison.
Kratos is actually Greek and if you play GOW 2 and unlock his pre service to Aries days called general Kratos he’s dark skin
latest

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I honestly don't mind the change in race since Morrison was never that popular of a character to begin with. He didn't really do anything memorable in the anime so there's nothing that's missed by changing his race.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Kratos is actually Greek and if you play GOW 2 and unlock his pre service to Aries days called general Kratos he’s dark skin

Whatever, you know what I mean. As a Greek, even if he has darker skin than one would expect, he's still of a caucasian race. Want another example? Darth Vader, was voiced by a black actor, and did a damn good job if it (please don't come up with another reaching argument like his suit is black or something). The idea that only white people should voice white characters, and that only black people should voice black characters is ridiculous, silly, and archaic. Animated shows are full of black characters voiced by white people too.

It is voice acting. The voice actor's skin color and ethnicity has nothing to do, and never should have anything to do, with their right to voice any character. You can't see them, you can only hear them. Only thing that matters is the performance they're able to pull off with their voices.

Last edited:

Handsome Devil Sparda

Whatever, you know what I mean. As a Greek, even if he has darker skin than one would expect, he's still of a caucasian race. Want another example? Darth Vader, was voiced by a black actor, and did a damn good job if it (please don't come up with another reaching argument like his suit is black or something). The idea that only white people should voice white characters, and that only black people should voice black characters is ridiculous, silly, and archaic. Animated shows are full of black characters voiced by white people too.

It is voice acting. The voice actor's skin color and ethnicity has nothing to do, and never should have anything to do, with their right to voice any character. You can't see them, you can only hear them. Only thing that matters is the performance they're able to pull off with their voices.
Ya but it doesn’t make sense that’s like your dad comes home white or black and your reaction wouldn’t be oh hey dad

berto

I Saw the Devil
How did this happen

91yqu4g5dtc11.png

I even heard that he’s even voiced by a white guy! So why did they do this?
No, we talked about it. My personal sentiment was that Morrison was a boring character so whatever it took to make him a little more interesting was fine by me. He not an important character so I honestly wasn't too worked up about it. If they had turned Trish Mexican or Lady black I would've taken issue, but this really didn't bother me

Actually, it's the other way around. This has almost never been an issue, not till the internet when you could look up what people playing voices looked like. Only the few who cared enough would know these things, which, as far as I know, was only important to Japanese audiences, and Mexico, to a lesser extent, and, yeah, every now and then you had somebody who made an issue of it, why are people not playing only the race or gender they are, but that was a pretty small group who never got anywhere. If anything is a first world problem. Something that's come about because people don't have really problems to content with. I'm not going to pretend consistency in fiction is not important but this is very trivial I'm the grand scheme of things, not being the same demographic as the character you're voicing. WHO CARED? And if you do, find a real cause to fight for. I'd recommend fighting for widows in India. That's a personally significant cause.

Probably because Bayonetta has Rodin

I don't know about that. I remember reading an interview where Itsuno mentioned never having played Bayonetta, which I thought was odd since you think he'd want to check out what the competition is doing, especially since he's talked about how much respect he has for Kamiya.

I liked Morrison in the anime but I like DMC5 Morrison way more. He has a lot more personality, even though we didn't see enough of him lol.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I don't know about that. I remember reading an interview where Itsuno mentioned never having played Bayonetta, which I thought was odd since you think he'd want to check out what the competition is doing, especially since he's talked about how much respect he has for Kamiya.
I like Itsuno and no disrespect to the guy, but I find that iffy coming from him. Itsuno may have never played Bayonetta, but he must have at least seen some cut-scenes or character artwork. If not him, definitely some of his programmers and other combat designers. I highly doubt all of them never seen anything Bayonetta related.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
The only reason why I don't like the idea of being world famous for any reason is that WHEN they make a cartoon movie about me, I'm afraid they'll have a hard time finding a voice actor with a visual impairment that I've got.

It just doesn't sound like me if the voice actor has got a normal vision... You will definitely hear that

Handsome Devil Sparda

I
If you care at all about consistency of continuity, then Devil May Cry is certainly not the franchise for you my friend.
didn’t know trying to understand why they changed it to a black guy but still have a white guy voice act also he was racist if you looked up the news of how he himself took down the video but at least he apologize but it just doesn’t make sense that’s like waking up one morning your not at home but a different color person was living your life now

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I

didn’t know trying to understand why they changed it to a black guy but still have a white guy voice act also he was racist if you looked up the news of how he himself took down the video but at least he apologize but it just doesn’t make sense that’s like waking up one morning your not at home but a different color person was living your life now
I think they just retconned it in universe. Morrison was always black, even in the anime now.

We scratched our heads at it back in the day. You are just 5 years too late bro.

Top Bottom