• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Norton Internet Security

Damien

Anti - Little D
Premium
I heard reports that Norton is the worst Anti-Virus on the market .. I bought Norton on news years eve and everything was fine until yesterday where my mozilla firefox messed up so I closed the program through the task manager and I though it was a strange so I did a full system scan and found the usual tracking cookies and I left my laptop for 30 minutes and it says scan complete....

7 Items dectected - 6 tracking cookies
- 1 TROJAN HORSE
WHAT THE HELL .... APPARENTLY I HAD THE VIRUS SINCE THE 11th OF THIS MONTH .... I did many scans between then and now and none of them showed a virus ..

Norton is crap ... Why did it find the virus noe and not then ?
Ideas ?

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Avira is Very good, and always pick out virus (on my computer it does.)
It will automatically download updates for free, and it is free... the personal use version that is.

I've heard nothing good about Norton. I was gonna get it, but i posted a question on Yahoo Answers and everyone told me not to bother.

I had a Trojan Horse for a few weeks myself... when Avira found it... whoo... was i happy. It shocked me too.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I've used Norton (before there started being good free AVs out there to try)... I never had any major probs with it but the downloads/updates for it were huge. The amount of space SystemWorks and GoBack were using on my piddly little hard drive at the time wasn't worth it. And it would force me to check everything from an incoming msn message to an email for viruses and slow everything up.

I think I basically used it at first because a year's Norton membership came free with my first computer. After that, I used AVG and now I use Avast. They're both better than Norton ever was...

Trish67

Bad a$$ Gunslinger
What version of Norton do you have? I have norton 360 and I have had nothing but awesomeness with it.

Romero

Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Damien;203339 said:
I heard reports that Norton is the worst Anti-Virus on the market .. I bought Norton on news years eve and everything was fine until yesterday where my mozilla firefox messed up so I closed the program through the task manager and I though it was a strange so I did a full system scan and found the usual tracking cookies and I left my laptop for 30 minutes and it says scan complete....

7 Items dectected - 6 tracking cookies
- 1 TROJAN HORSE
WHAT THE HELL .... APPARENTLY I HAD THE VIRUS SINCE THE 11th OF THIS MONTH .... I did many scans between then and now and none of them showed a virus ..

Norton is crap ... Why did it find the virus noe and not then ?
Ideas ?
Norton has always been good at detecting malware, but it is not perfect, no antivirus is perfect.

I have used Norton Internet Security (NIS, includes firewall, antispam++) many years because I got it for free. It protected me well, didn't have any infection at all if I don't count a couple of times when it found something in my browser cache. (But that's really not an infection when it's stopped there.)

But Norton sucked, oh boy did it suck. What I mean is it was such a big program and it was very demanding on the hardware resources. LiveUpdate took forever, I don't know what the hell it did on my hard drive but it was almost like the whole thing was reinstalled. To update it never took less than 10 minutes on broadband, and the hard disk worked flat out all the time.
The last version I had was NIS 2007. I heard that the program got alot faster from the 2008 version, and the newest version is supposed to be even faster.

You must also make sure that all the settings are right, or the product may not offer good protection.

You talked about Norton only as antivirus, do you not have the Norton Firewall? A good antivirus is not enough if you don't have a firewall that's doing its job.

NIS may not be the best security suite, but it's not the worst either. And it probably offers better protection than most freeware. But NIS is stil an elephant, even if they have trimmed it alot to be less heavy.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Like what other people said, not all anti-virus are perfect. I suggest that you use Kaspersky or Avira as your primary anti-virus program. :)

Romero

Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Chaos Master;203534 said:
Like what other people said, not all anti-virus are perfect. I suggest that you use Kaspersky or Avira as your primary anti-virus program. :)
"Primary"? Unless he's got more than one PC, there should not be any secondary antivirus. To use more than one antivirus on one pc is not good because they will be in conflict.
Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, but I don't take any chances on it.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Romero;203540 said:

"Primary"? Unless he's got more than one PC, there should not be any secondary antivirus. To use more than one antivirus on one pc is not good because they will be in conflict.
Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, but I don't take any chances on it.

I did say OR in my sentence, not AND. ^_^

Romero

Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Chaos Master;203545 said:
I did say OR in my sentence, not AND. ^_^
I saw that, it's was only the word "primary" that got me thinking that. But I understand now.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Romero;203547 said:

I saw that, it's was only the word "primary" that got me thinking that. But I understand now.

Sorry, it was my bad. I only just woke up, so i don't really re-read my post. :lol:

Top Bottom