• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Niell Blomkamp > DMC4 & MGR

Should Niell Blomkamp Direct DMC & MGR Games From Now On?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Let's See Him Take On Bayonetta & Ninja Gaiden

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Foreward: While this thread discusses games from two different companies, it also mentions a certain series of sci-fi films as well. Therefore, I'm unable to post this topic in neither the General Gaming Thread nor in the DMC General thread. It has to be done here.

Now, without further ado:

I've noticed that District 9 is a lot like DMC4... whether on purpose or by accident, is up for debate. However, this "version" of DMC4 is a lot better than DMC4 itself, in my humble opinion. I say this due to the fact that the story is presented in a much better light. Better structure and writing count for a lot when trying to take on serious subject matters such as apartheid (not really a theme in DMC4 except where Nero is concerned).

Similarities between D9 & DMC4

A protagonist who's initially working for the bad guys

Gains a new arm.

Said new arm allows him to use weapons only aliens (demons) can use (Angus couldn't use/fix Yamato).

Becomes a fugitive on the run.

Switches sides once he realizes that "not all aliens are bad".

Can use a huge mech (which somewhat resembles Nero's DT).

Is heartbroken over cutout girlfriend who initially rejects him because of his "deformity".

Backtracking (Main Character must go back into the slums of District 9)

Main Character is aided by alien (demon) wearing red

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now, he's Blomkamp has done it again:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/7899-Elysium

This sounds like a much better version of MGR to me, is all I'm saying.

Guy gets a new exoskeleton (Raiden Ninja Cybersuit)

Political Allegory

Bad Guy With Sword (Has Similar Cybersuit)

???

Profit!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And to think, D9 was originally going to be a Halo movie. Thank God that didn't happen.

Just goes to show you can make a good story out of anything... even out of those two games.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whoops, I spelled "Neill" wrong. My mistake.

DanteStyle

但丁是我的
I dunno, man. The only similarities there are is the dude running around with a prawn-arm (like Nero) and instead of giant mutant camel spiders we have giant mutant prawns all over the show.
If you mean the movie was like DMC4 because of the NO WAY HAHAHAHAHA factor, you'd be spot on. Not dissing the movie, or DMC4, just my feels about both of them.

I don't feel very comfortable with the idea of a South African directing a DMC game. For one, I've never seen nor played a game produced by/in South Africa. It's a third world country, yo, most people don't have the money to put out the good stuff.
Unless this Neill guy can build up a proper portfolio to show us what he's got, it's a definite NO from me.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Eh you're just overanalyzing stuff -_- i see nothing remotely similar in District 9 and DMC4 and by your logic is bionic commando any similar to nero ?

Storytelling was never the focus of DMC games and it never should be PERIOD.

JessenReinhart

This is good, isn't it?
I Dunno about DMC, but Avi Arad is directing the MGS movie, they could use him to direct MGR too.

EDIT: Oh wait, he is producing the MGS movie, not directing it. my bad

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
i think it would be cool if he wrote a DmC game and i think of the 4 choices its the one that he could actually write since i dont see the other three company really springing for him when there are cheaper options

Top Bottom